Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2009 11:00

XPS 710 steady amber light after windows update blue screen

Greetings Dell community,

Last night I performed windows update and got a blue screen with some complain about usbhub failure, I pay little attention to it and decided to just turn off the computer for the night.  However, when I woke up this morning, I got a steady amber light on the power button and the fan spin at high speed, no other lights on in the front panel.

I gathered from some of the topics I have read here that this could be a motherboard failure ( I tried upplugging a few pci boards and ram before I had to go to work).  And I keep getting the same problem.  I am not a 100% sure the hard drives spin up because the fans are so loud.

Am I looking a likely mother board failure?  I know I missed out on the mother board exchange program so I am still using the 2 years old motherboard.

I tried looking into the 720 motherboard options but with all the different part numbers GT661, U723D and UY822 out there is leaving me extremely confused.  I think I need some extra parts before I can install a 720 board into the 1kw 710 case and the part list that was on some website is no longer there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 27th, 2009 13:00

wolfheinrich,

It seems odd that a Windows update would kill the motherboard. Have you done the jumper CMOS reset?

May 27th, 2009 14:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

While it's extremely unlikely, but that was the last event before I shut off the computer for the night, I thought I would at least mention the blue screen about the USBHUB.

I did the password and CMOS jumper swap, have unplugged memory and all the PCI devices, USB devices, still solid amber light.  Although I have not yet tried to power up without all the devices attached, should I try that?  I have not tried to take out the battery that would be the next thing for me to try when I get home.  I want to get the computer up and running as soon as possible.

I was able to track down the thread just not too long ago about the 710->720 upgrade path

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2007/06/21/18870.aspx

Called Dell spare parts and the support person on the phone told me he would try to get approval for some of the missing parts? 

Sincerely

May 28th, 2009 10:00

Update: Took out CMOS battery, waited 15 minutes, tried again, no go.   I was able to tell the HDs starting up so it's not a psu problem.  While it's unfortunately, I believe my 710 motherboard has met the same fate as many 710 owners who weren't notified of the motherboard exchange program. 

I am a very upset customer who spend over $4000 on a premium PC just to find out 2 years later that there is no replacement parts to "easily" fix it.  I expected better for my money than this.

Anyway, to change the subject, is it possible to reuse the 750 W PSU on a generic ATX motherboard?  I don't think I can rely on Dell to help me fix my rig anymore.

Sincerely

No Events found!