Highlighted
jimchipman
1 Copper

XPS 710 wont boot or start

I have a XPS 710.  When I hit the power button it starts the fans up for about 1 second, then nothing.  No lights, no beeps.  Inside the case, i see that the cpu, video and case fans all start for a second.  My initial thought was power supply since I change it 3 months earlier when the original power supply died (after 3.5 years).  I replaced power supply again, no changes.  No beeps, no lights (of course button lights when you first hit it).  

I removed all components.  Being Video Card.  unplugged all hard drives, DVD drives, etc.  removed memory looking for beep errors.  Nothing.  

My thought is it is the mother board.  If so I will build a pc and not buy another dell (i need the main Hard drive intact and running).  

Any thoughts/suggestions or is my theory correct?

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: XPS 710 wont boot or start

Based on what you have posted I would agree the motherboard is the most logical problem.

I am not a Dell Employee

Dell forum member since 2002

Dell Inspiron 15 - 5577 Laptop

Home Built Desktop PC with ASUS ROG Z170, i7 6700K CPU

Windows 10 64 bit Pro and Windows 10 Insider Program Beta Versions. SSD drives. Cakewalk by BandLab and Studio One 4.1 Recordng Studio Software.

Dell S2719dgf Monitor

Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E.

0 Kudos
LemZ
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 710 wont boot or start

I had the same problem ... it was the power button wiring inside the case: loose power button connection. This button is more than a simple on off switch. Once, my 710 froze during the bios phase of the boot. Had to unplug the main power cord, press the power button for 10-15 seconds, replug the the power cable & press the button again ...

Good Luck!

LemZ

0 Kudos