Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 21st, 2008 16:00

XPS 720 BIOS A06 Released

XPS 720 BIOS released today.

3.3K Posts

April 26th, 2008 11:00

Falconxp,

I have a QX6850 in my other machine. It idles anywheres from 27C to 35C depending on the ambient room temp. Keep in mind this is an H2c cooled machine.

occt idle;

occt running for 17 minutes;

occt running for 36 minutes;

21 Posts

April 27th, 2008 21:00

@Ryanh6178 wrote:

Well,

I'm having issues getting the Yorkfield to POST.  I can put the Kentsfield back in and all is good, but I just get high fan output and default upper and lower leds set to white.

Quivver,

Did you have to jumper the RST jumper or change any of the clock settings in the BIOS to get the Q9450 to POST?

Ryan, did you get anywhere with getting the Q9450 to POST?

670 Posts

April 28th, 2008 17:00

I haven't tried again since you told me that your board revision was A01.  I assume that my board revision is close, but "just not good enough". =)

I'll have a little time to dive back in this evening, but I wouldn't bet on it. =)

9 Posts

April 30th, 2008 22:00

Xeon X3350 ok 

70 Posts

May 1st, 2008 06:00

Any speculation on future processors that might be supported? Would be good if one of the new 1333mhz extreme processors were supported 8-). At the moment I doubt the 9450 would be considered a decent enough upgrade to the processorts most of us are already currently running.

May 2nd, 2008 16:00

Move along, nothing to see here people. Hopefully full QX9 support with the A07 BIOS...heres hoping :)

1 Message

May 15th, 2008 13:00

Hello all, first post here. :) I have a 720 black, and I have 4GB of Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500 RAM / Q6600 Processor installed. This system has ran flawlessly with the 4GB of RAM under both Windows XP x64, and Windows Vista 64, that is until I updated to this A06 BIOS...

Now I know I do not really need the fixes in this BIOS, I just like to stay up to date, and maybe one day upgrade to one of the new 9300/9450 CPU's if I feel the need. But, now this system will only post about 10% of the time with 4GB of RAM, it will freeze, and about 50% of the time it DOES actually post, Windows will only get to the logo, and freeze...the OS will not load...SOO, I got tired of it, and pulled 2GB, then everything worked great again. I thought, man this machine has been running great until I installed this new BIOS, so thankfully I was able to get the older A05 from the FTP server and fall back to it, and now everything runs great again with the 4GB reinstalled.

I just wanted to post and let someone know about my little fiasco with this A06 BIOS, in hopes that someone from Dell will see this and take it into consideration when making a new BIOS. I know not everyone is having this problem, but I am, and the culprit is definitely the A06 BIOS.

Peace

2.3K Posts

May 15th, 2008 17:00

Heinosity; Welcome to DCF

I always am of the belief that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Although FWIW I am on A06, have been for two weeks, and run 64-Bit Vista with no issues here.

Peace

133 Posts

May 29th, 2008 11:00

Any updates on Q9450 vs Q6600... very interested

2 Posts

June 12th, 2008 11:00

Hello everyone,

First post here. Just wanted to share my experiences with a Q9450 and a QX9650 on my XPS 720.

Well I can get both cpu's to post sometimes(1 out of 30). The 9450 seems to run ok if it starts. Haven't had time to let it run any length of time yet. No reboots or anything. Will say that neither cpu will post 2 times in a row. If you try to restart in windows it will not repost. On reboot nothing then the fans start to dwindle in speed.

Pretty much the same ordeal with the 9650, only it seems to be less stable. Going to wear out the power button trying to get these things to work.

Followed other posts here and others seem to be getting about the same results. Anyone having true steady performance with either of these cpu's.

Hope to hear back from some others with their board info, am guessing this would be about the only variable between us. Unless it truly is something between nvida and intel.

Running windows xp, A06 Bios. Cpuz shows the board as a  0p611c.

Really like the xps 720 case, other than the size. Hate to have to put it to the side to build a new machine to run these cpu's.

1.3K Posts

June 12th, 2008 12:00

This post has been removed in protest of DCF's and Dell's policies, behavior, lack of respect, and poor treatment of the community.
Message Edited by cademetz on 06-19-2008 02:55 PM

11 Posts

February 6th, 2009 11:00

I am currently running the Q9550 on my 720 with the A06 bios version. Everything is working fine per: performance, temps, volts, loads, etc. However, the cpu fan currently runs at 100%, and I get a boot up message stating that this cpu is not supported by the system. In the device manager it lists all 4 cpu's but they are listed as unknown device. And on the windows computer information screen it lists the processor as 2.83 ghz (it does not list all the details like intel core 2 quad etc..) Everest, Ntune, and Real temp all show details for all 4 cores. Temps run nice and low 20c's to 30c's with Tj max's in the 60's. Other than boot up message and LOUD fan, It runs fine. A big performance boost comming from the E6750.

There still needs to be a bios update to fully support the 45nm cpu. Currently I am in the process of getting a 4pin fan adapter so I can run my cpu fan straight to the power supply. Hopefully this will lower the cpu fan speed..

I'll update after fan mod.

11 Posts

February 7th, 2009 15:00

Well just to update you. I have installed a Zalman ZM-MFC1 fan controller earlier today. I did have to do some splicing to get the fans to work correctly. The Dell 4 wire fan cords did not connect to the standard 3 pin (cord) connectors that came with the fan controll unit. So anyway.. It have been running in my system for about 5 hours now, with no problems. I did stress tests with Prime95, Real Temp as well as ntune. While monitering temps with everest and real temp. It passed all tests.

My fans are turned down low.. wow, they are nice and quiet! I will monitor temps with real temp as I run games and applications. Currently with fans set to low speed all 4 cpu's stay in the 20-30c temps, never going into the 40c's. The good thing is, I can up the fans if things get hot.

In conclusion... Yes the Q9550 is working fine in the 680i mobo. With a slight modification to control the fans. The only downside is the message at boot up. But I can live with hitting F1 once a day

Thank you all for the advice and feedback, much a ppreciated..

Mark

No Events found!