Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 9th, 2008 05:00

XPS 720 BIOS Occasional Freeze on startup

My XPS 720, occasionally freezes on startup at about 1/3 of the load bar, which eventually requires a reboot untill it doesnt happen.

Do we know in any way what periperals cause this problem?  I have a USB hub, with a PocketPC Cradle, Camcorder Dock, Logitech G9 Mouse, Bluetooth Dongle, Ideazon Fang Game pad, Logitech G15 Keyboard, Readyboost 2 GB Memory Key, and Memory Card reader built into my 30 inch dell display that has no cards in it.  The interesting thing is that this is a new install, and it really didnt do this on my old install.  No BIOS Updates newly applied (Most up to date bios already).  The boot order in the BIOS is only set to CD-Rom and SATA HDD.  Any ideas?

3.4K Posts

October 10th, 2008 00:00

Hello,

You say this is a new install, which I assume means you just reinstalled Windows.

If so read on ...

Note:  Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first. Currently, the DSS and NSS are not required for systems with Windows Vista installed. This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   2.      Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   3.      Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   4.      Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   5.      Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   6.      Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   7.      Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   8.      Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
   9.      Other Devices
          * Bluetooth Module
            This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
          * Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
            This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
          * PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
            This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category, and you have already tried to install some drivers, you may need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, followed by the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

28 Posts

October 11th, 2008 12:00

I really dont this this is the solution to the problem that I'm facing.  My issue has to do with the loading of the BIOS, with the progress bar at the beginning of bootup that locks at about 30% and then requires a re-start.  Usually the next time I reboot, the Bios loads and then windows boots.  Any more ideas?

3.4K Posts

October 11th, 2008 13:00

@ajbrutico wrote:
I really dont this this is the solution to the problem that I'm facing.  My issue has to do with the loading of the BIOS, with the progress bar at the beginning of bootup that locks at about 30% and then requires a re-start.  Usually the next time I reboot, the Bios loads and then windows boots.  Any more ideas?

Hello again,

The progress bar is loaded 'after' the BIOS work is complete.

During the time that you see the progress bar, the system is loading Windows, required drivers, and programs. One of those three and seemingly not your BIOS is the cause of your problem.

My required downloads page lists a program called Bootvis from Microsoft. Run it and it will show you everything that starts and the time it takes to do so.

4 Posts

October 15th, 2008 14:00

Thereal,

The BIOS progress bar is what Ajbrutico, and myself are refering to. While the BIOS progress bar is loading about 1/3 of the way it freezes. Sometimes it passes the 1/3 mark and hangs at about 90% and then after a minute or so it moves on.

4 Posts

Ajbrutico,

I am having the same exact issue. I think it is related to the Logitech Keyboard Mouse that I am using. (Logitech G15 keyboard (Organge) and Logitech G9 Mouse). I am assuming it might have to do with power consumption issues. I just started to have the same exact problem as of yesterday.

Please let me know if you have found a solution.

Thanks.

4 Posts

The code I am recieving on the USB front panel is 2-3-4. Does anyone know how/where to look up BIOS codes for the XPS 720?

Thanks.

28 Posts

October 15th, 2008 17:00

Mundazo,

You you also have a bluetooth dongle?  I had one plugged into the USB port on the G15 keyboard, and took it out just to see.  I have not plugged it in anywhere else.  I do know that the XPS 600 had issues with the G15 Keyboard, but I thought that was resolved with the new Motherboard on the 700 series.  So far, it hasnt happened again.  I'll be back on here the minute it does :)

4 Posts

October 15th, 2008 19:00

No, but i have my G9 Mouse plugged into the keyboard. I wonder why this would this start happening all of a sudden.

3.4K Posts

October 15th, 2008 22:00

@Mundazo wrote:

The code I am receiving on the USB front panel is 2-3-4. Does anyone know how/where to look up BIOS codes for the XPS 720?

Hello,

The 2,3,4 lights indicate a USB problem as shown in the XPS 720 troubleshooting page HERE.

1 Message

October 17th, 2008 13:00

Hi,

I am glad I am not the only one experiencing this problem. Just like you guys, it started happening out of nowhere in the last few weeks....the progress bar on my XPS 720 freezes at about 1/3 of the way through and I have to shut the system down and try again. It always starts on the second try, though I sometimes get a keyboard error message. I have had this computer since January and constantly update drivers as well as process all Windows Vista updates. It's strange how we are all experiencing it at around the same time. It has to be related to a recent Windows Vista update or a new driver release?

28 Posts

October 17th, 2008 22:00

Im not necessarily going to call this a solution, but I can say that ever since I took the Bluetooth Dongle out of the G15 Keyboard, I have not had a boot freeze -- I'm not sure if the problem is using the G15 as a USB hub, or the bluetooth itself causing it.  I'll keep rebooting and see what occurs.  So for now,

1) Don't place anything in a G15 USB port

2) Disconnect any Bluetooth USB keys

3) If netiher apply, keep trying to mess with the USB stuff, as it seems that the problem lies with attached device.

** Please note, that similar issues can be found with the XPS 600 and XPS 700 Series -- Its true that the motherboards are all different for the XPS 600, 700, and 720 -- But all 3 have a common thread - NVIDIA manufacturing :smileymad:

Message Edited by ajbrutico on 10-17-2008 06:00 PM

March 29th, 2009 21:00

+1 (complete with roughly 1/3 progress bar and LEDs reading "2 3 4")

I've had this for a long long time but I've always just groaned and manually restarted (hold down power switch for 5 seconds). It seems to happen quite frequenly on soft restarts; much less frequently on cold. Never (I think) on resume from sleep.

I'm pretty boring as far as attached peripherals.  Razer keyboard + mouse. And (fascinating) lame old smart card reader.  I may try removing that last and see what happens.

June 4th, 2009 16:00

I am having the same problem here, 1 out of 3 time I reboot my 720, it would freeze up because of a USB device failure, sometimes it will get through it but the keyboard won't get power until I am within the windows environment.  For the record, I am using a plain old Dell multimedia keyboard.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2011 13:00

I also have started to experience this problem only recently.  The only change that occurred is that I moved the computer, and must have plugged the USB components differently into the system.  Never happened before the move.

I have 3 accessories in common with people having the issue:

Razor Keyboard (RZ03) with USB port.

MX Revolution Logitech Mouse using a USB dongle - dongle is connected ONTO the keyboard port.

This might all be related.  I'll try changing ports and report back.

7 Posts

October 12th, 2011 13:00

Forgot the 3rd accessory :  Dell 30inch with Media Card reader built-in.

No Events found!