Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2008 22:00

XPS 720 BSOD caused by ASPI Adaptec driver? But what is it?

Yo guys, I'm in the process of reinstalling all my games after formatting my computer a while ago, everything else has gone mainly smoothly except a couple of problems here and there, one being my computer BSODing when I install Realplayer, as shown here: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=Tech_Talk_XPS&thread.id=81875

However I've just installed Dungeon Siege 1/Sungeon Siege 1 Legends of Aranna and gone to play it, and as soon as I clicked on the icon to open the game, I got a BSOD, these usually have error messages such as Bad Pool caller or IRL not Less than Equal or whatever.

Anyways when I restarted my comp and sent the error report it came back with this:

"Download updates for ASPI Adaptec Driver (ASPI32.SYS)

This problem was caused by ASPI Adaptec Driver (ASPI32.SYS), which was created by Adaptec, Inc..

To learn about the solution to this problem, go online to the Adaptec, Inc. website:

Adaptec, Inc."

I have no other error messages in the event log other than this which was generated from the error:

"System Error Category 102, Error code 1000000a, parameter1 b02f50e0, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80505b49."

I'm not sure if the realplayer install problem and this are related, (as the Realplayer error never gave anything specific when the report was sent) but both programs used to work fine before I formatted my computer, and now they don't. Also the main thing thats confusing me is, what the heck is an ASPI Adaptec driver and do I even have an Adaptec ASPI device in my computer?

I can't find anything on the Dell Drivers and Downloads page if so, and the only hardware changes I've made are removing the Physx card (prior to formatting). I think I remember the name Adaptec from somewhere but I'm totally not sure. After the format I reinstalled all the drivers off the dell site and my software properly so maybe this is something I've missed, but as said I've no idea what this device is and whether I even have one. :S

I have the usual XPS720 H2C with Windows XP Pro, the rest of my specs are in my sig, would be nice if I could scan for the driver and what actual device it apprently relates to. :/

Message Edited by BobT36 on 09-27-2008 06:59 PM

289 Posts

September 28th, 2008 01:00

@BobT36 wrote:

Hmm that tool looks like its mostly for the registry and stuff though, ya think it could solve the ASPI Adaptec driver issue, whatever that even is?

As said I'm not sure if I even have any adaptec products. :S

Not sure but it's worth a try. Have you done any type of search to find out if you do have any Adaptec products?

206 Posts

Hmm that tool looks like its mostly for the registry and stuff though, ya think it could solve the ASPI Adaptec driver issue, whatever that even is?

As said I'm not sure if I even have any adaptec products. :S

14.4K Posts

It is a driver for the CD/DVD See HERE

206 Posts

September 28th, 2008 02:00

"ASPI is "Advanced SCSI Programming Interface". It is software which provides
communication between a SCSI host adaptor and SCSI
peripherals, such as a
disk drive or CD-ROM. Your
PC probably has a SCSI host adaptor: a card which
the SCSI hard disk is connected to. This card needs specific drivers to
work. The file ASPI32.SYS is part of the SCSI drivers. The drivers for this
hardware are supplied by Adaptec, not by
Microsoft. Adaptec release new
versions of the drivers, as bugs are fixed."

Hmm yeah Dave, according to a dude on there that sounds about right, and I do have an aspi32 file in the system32/drivers folder.

Probably Dungeon Siege was accessing something off the disc the first time I started it, (had no problems with other game so far though) and RealPlayer does a lot of CD stuff so I assume that was bodging when accessing that too. (hopefully theyre linked)

My drives are actually PDBS DH-48C2S (CDRwDVD) and TSSTcorp TS-H653B (DVD +-RW) and I'd tried uninstalling those from the device manager, (winsows instantly restored them on boot, and when trying to run the drivers for them off the Dell site it said they were already up to date) but according to what that dude said in the link, its the card they connect to and what managed em, which probably doesn't have the correct driver or even have it installed due to me formatting and it not being on the Dell site, nor windows update picking it up.

However as to what type of Adaptec SCSI card I have in my machine, I have absolutely no idea, theres a huge list on the site: http://cms.adaptec.com/en-US/support/SCSI

That forum and what the dude mentions is also for Vista, (I have XP Pro) but I assume it applies to XP too.

Is there any way of finding out? As I doubt Dell's tech support will have a clue at all with something like this, Does anyone know what kind of SCSI whatever is in our machines? I tried searching the manual PDF but it only picked up the term in the glossary, not the actual text. Also I've tried the dudes method of looking in the device driver details for certain devices linking to the aspi32 file but meh, no joy. :/

14.4K Posts

September 28th, 2008 12:00

It sounds like this is something in the game install. Either it installed a file which is in conflict to you system or it is outdated and needs to be updated to interface with your opticals.

i would go to the game web site and chech for updates/patches etc. Go to the Adpatec site and get the latest version of the driver. 

206 Posts

September 28th, 2008 14:00

Aye well before the format everything was fine with both realplayer and dungeon siege and so on, it sounds to me like this adaptec driver or whatever either hasn't been installed/updated correctly after I formatted, even though I just used my Dell Windows XP Pro SP2 disk, then reinstalled everything from there, as said the actual CD drivers from the Dell site said they were already up to date, and theres nothing for adaptec specifically.

And yeah I assume its something off the adaptec site I need, however the problem is knowing what lol, they have absolutely loads o stuff and its hard knowing exactly I need and what Is right for these machines. Hopefully its just a generic driver I need, however I'm not sure. :/

I've mailed Adaptec support and will see what they come up with.

Message Edited by BobT36 on 09-28-2008 11:07 AM

14.4K Posts

September 28th, 2008 15:00

Did you follow this when you reinstalled the drivers after the os

206 Posts

September 28th, 2008 15:00

Yep, even made a topic on it to make sure what order to do things in first lol.

I still have all the driver installers saved, and I checked on the Dell website again too, nothing points to anything to do with adaptec.

I assume this kinda things supposed to be installed with the OS or Chipset, both of which I did in the proper order, but obviously somethings gone wrong with it.

As said I'm hoping itl just be a "Install this generic adaptec driver" sorta thing that will sort it, as unless it came with the comp, I don't have any specific adaptec products. Its just knowing which to use on there, as theres a lotta products and drivers listed, many of which I've no idea what they are lol.

As said hopefully Adaptec will know from the error report and tell me, they apprently get back within the next business day. However Dell said that and it took them 3 weeks so, we'll see heh :P

206 Posts

October 1st, 2008 12:00

The dude from Adaptec got back to me and gave me the link for the main windows driver, which I installed, and their adapchk tool says its working properly blablabla. However soon as I tried to test it, BAM bluescreen. Same type of errors, Bad_pool_caller or IRL_not_less_than_equal or whatever.

However this time when I started the comp back up it just said "There was a problem with a device driver" rather than explicitly naming adaptec, which is obviously not very useful since I've no idea which one its complaining about.

Same sorta thing in the event log, but with a slightly different code. Error 102, heres the details (I assume these are the correct error messages)

"Error code 1000000a, parameter1 b2559ef0, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80505b49."

(This was the previous one from where adaptec was named, it is slightly different as parameter 1 is different, but along the same lines: "System Error Category 102, Error code 1000000a, parameter1 b02f50e0, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000000, parameter4 80505b49.")

I'm gunna have a gander at cd60s link now and see if that fixes it. Meh, as said I never had any problems with this before I formatted. :/

Message Edited by BobT36 on 10-01-2008 08:51 AM

206 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 15:00

Hmm the problem with the "Regcure" program mentioned in that link is, it wants ya to buy it before it removes anything but invalid fonts and shortcuts lol, so I won't be trying that.

I do however have a spare license for the "Registry Mechanic" software, if ya really think this is registry based problem, however windows says its something to do with a driver.

I just can't see why its only happening when this game initialises, and with real player, theres obviously something wrong its just hard to pin down as my other installations seemed to work fine, and I was able to run both these programs with no problems before the format. :S

289 Posts

October 2nd, 2008 16:00

@BobT36 wrote:

Hmm the problem with the "Regcure" program mentioned in that link is, it wants ya to buy it before it removes anything but invalid fonts and shortcuts lol, so I won't be trying that.

I do however have a spare license for the "Registry Mechanic" software, if ya really think this is registry based problem, however windows says its something to do with a driver.

I just can't see why its only happening when this game initialises, and with real player, theres obviously something wrong its just hard to pin down as my other installations seemed to work fine, and I was able to run both these programs with no problems before the format. :S

Google your error message. That's where I got that link (didn't realize you had to buy anything, sorry). I was actually told my an XPS tech that they Google error messages and that's where they get most of their suggestions. Anyway you might find what your looking for that way. Good Luck!

206 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 11:00

Haha so much for "trained support". :P

I mean theres nothing wrong with using the net as a resource of course but when ya paying for tech support who only rely on google well... lol.

Anyways ok cheers for trying dude, I did have a gander myself but IT problems are always tough due to the differences between situations and specs and so on.

Will just havto keep lookin, all I know is it worked before, now it doesn't, heh.

206 Posts

October 8th, 2008 20:00

Problem solved by the awesome dudes at XP Vista Forum.

Seemed that I probably got them through Real Player's updates, which basically made it kill itself lol. Soon as I removed the ASPI driver files, all was well again, no more bluescreens. Dungeon Siege and RealPlayer now work fine. Hopefully I can get on without the ASPI drivers ok.

Thanks fer yer help everyone. Problem sorted. :)

No Events found!