Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2008 22:00

XPS 720 H2C won't post with (4) 2GB modules

Following is my post to the OCZ forums, I am using the new Reaper HPC 2GB PC2-8500 modules.  The system runs great with 2 of them, won't post with all 4 mounted.  The system boots and runs fine with the factory shipped Nanya (4) 1GB modules.  I've tried CMOS reset, I've tried disabling SLI/EPP prior to inserting the 3rd and 4th module.  Not much else I can do if the system won't boot.

• OCZ part number:-OCZ2RPR10664GK
  • Module size and kit size:-2 x 2gb kit (x2)
  • CPU model and rated speed:-QX6700, 2.66ghz
  • Overclocked CPU speed:-3.2ghz
  • Divider and FSB used:-1066mhz
  • Motherboard and revision:-Dell 680i
  • Motherboard Bios rev:-A05
  • Video card:-nVidia 8800GT x2
  • Power supply:-Dell 1100W
  • Operating System:-Vista Ultimate x64
  • CPU and System Cooling:-Water and good airflow
  • CPU and System temps:-cool
  • Purchased at/on:-ZipZoomFly last week
  • Memory voltage:-2.10

Having problems with all 4 modules installed. 2 modules work fine and at the rated speed. With 4 modules installed the system will not post. This is a Dell XPS 720 H2C system. I have limited BIOS tweaking options. For memory, I have the choice of SLI/EPP for memory or not. I've tried CMOS reset, SLI/EPP disabled and am looking for other suggestions. Little I can do if the system will not post.

58 Posts

Each 4GB kit works fine by itself.  As I mentioned I did a CMOS reset which put me at the stock bios settings, no overclock, EPP disabled.  No post.

14.4K Posts

drop your oc back to stock...boot with two at a time to make sure all the sticks are good..

You oc might be raising havoc with the sticks and they might need the spd flash...

Remember this mb is not that great of an oc board..

14.4K Posts

April 23rd, 2008 23:00

Boot up with 2 stick..load up ntune..open ntune and go to the advanced bios page...on that page will be listings for spread spectrum settings...set all the spread spectrum settings to disable..leave all other settigns at default..

put all the sticks in and try to reboot..

April 24th, 2008 02:00

Check your user manual to see if it supports 4x2G mem. 720 has been out for quite a while, and there wasn't any 2G PC8500 mem available. This issue could be fixed with a BIOS update, but DELL may choose not to support this setting since 730 is imminent.
No Events found!