Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2008 10:00

XPS 720 New Motherboard problems continuous reboot

When I start up normally I get continuous restarts with A04 or A03 bios. I have reinstalled the system, Windows Home premium. I have run memtest all night - no problems, run dell diagnostics for 3 days - no problems reports, repaired windows vista - no problems reported. Reset CMOS. Any suggestions for trouble shooting in safe mode. Now while in safe mode I keep getting a continuous run of "Windows explorer has stopped working" messages followed by the "windows explorer is restarting" messages that keep recurring over and over. Dell XPS 720 8800GT 512 2GM memory E6750 Vista Home Premium

424 Posts

January 9th, 2008 15:00

zray5 wrote:
I did a complete reinstall (clean) of windows and this is what I have.

including a reformat?

also what version of the BIOS where u using before updating it?

57 Posts

I did a complete reinstall (clean) of windows and this is what I have.

424 Posts

zray5 wrote:
When I start up normally I get continuous restarts with A04 or A03 bios. I have reinstalled the system, Windows Home premium. I have run memtest all night - no problems, run dell diagnostics for 3 days - no problems reports, repaired windows vista - no problems reported. Reset CMOS. Any suggestions for trouble shooting in safe mode. Now while in safe mode I keep getting a continuous run of "Windows explorer has stopped working" messages followed by the "windows explorer is restarting" messages that keep recurring over and over. Dell XPS 720 8800GT 512 2GM memory E6750 Vista Home Premium

do a complete clean reinstall of windows and see if that works, I don't think a BIOS update is the main reason could be corrupt software

57 Posts

January 9th, 2008 16:00

did the windows vista reformat of the drive before install - it doesn't take very long. Also, I think I did the new install over the A04 bios. I see y0u did the motherboard upgrade - did it go completely smooth for you> This is my fourth motherboard including three put in by Dell technicians (who did a terrible job of it, they unscrewed the motherboard from the system board tray and then sxrewed in the new one). I put the last one in and followed the video and it was very simple. Every motherboard has acted the same way re continuous restarts with the new bios. The prior boards installed by dell came with eh A02 bios on them and the latest I did had the A03. Did you do a windows reinstall over the new motherboard. I did although Dell in home tech told me I didn't need to.

424 Posts

January 9th, 2008 17:00

zray5 wrote:
did the windows vista reformat of the drive before install - it doesn't take very long. Also, I think I did the new install over the A04 bios. I see y0u did the motherboard upgrade - did it go completely smooth for you> This is my fourth motherboard including three put in by Dell technicians (who did a terrible job of it, they unscrewed the motherboard from the system board tray and then sxrewed in the new one). I put the last one in and followed the video and it was very simple. Every motherboard has acted the same way re continuous restarts with the new bios. The prior boards installed by dell came with eh A02 bios on them and the latest I did had the A03. Did you do a windows reinstall over the new motherboard. I did although Dell in home tech told me I didn't need to.

I ahd the same thing where teh tech unscrewed the motherboard,
but mine came with version A03 installed.

I have had no problems at all, apart from my RAM was defective after a while which they supplied me with new and that was that.

how many hard disks have you got? if you have another I would see if you can install on that instead, it could be that the drive u are curerently trying to install it is on the way out.

it would also be helpful as well to see if you are getting other problems, like diag lights showing.

but I would thing it is software related. are you installing windows on its own? i.e no other software, installed, would it be possible to look in problems and solutions to see if there are any error logs mentioned?

or even in the event log, it might also be wise to make sure the CD is not scratched.

it is advisable that when installing windows onto a PC with a new board thata clewan installed is done. this is to avoid software problems, and also drivers may not be compatible with the new setup. it is after all inaffect that you have a new PC i.e 700 to the 720. they use different boards.

1 Rookie

• 

2.1K Posts

January 9th, 2008 17:00

after you installed vista, did you load all the drivers, chipset  drivers,,,etc.

does your computer reboot continuously in safe mode, does explorer work in safe mode.

did you install windows updates.. microsoft net framework. , etc.

what are your diagnostic lights showing.

make sure your ram is installed properly

Message Edited by ronss on 01-09-2008 01:07 PM

16 Posts

January 13th, 2008 13:00

Had same problem, i also run dells diag test ,all test pass, at the end the ram modules was replaced, problem solved.

57 Posts

January 13th, 2008 14:00

Are you running A04 bios - I am back to A02 and I am somewhat stable but I keep getting bluescreen memory management screens.

16 Posts

January 13th, 2008 14:00

zray5 wrote:
Are you running A04 bios - I am back to A02 and I am somewhat stable but I keep getting bluescreen memory management screens.

i was also back at A02, still had the same prob.    try some other ram modules, and reinstall vista(clean install)

those bluescreens of yours sounds like ram problems.

January 21st, 2008 16:00

your northbridge on your mobo is prob overheating. its the one closest to your gfx cards. Put a fan up to it maybe?
No Events found!