Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-30-2008 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

XPS 720 Power Supply +AGAIN+

1. My first power supply died on me back near the end of September.

2. The replacement ps is now doing/exhibiting the same symptoms as when the first one died.

3. I have about 2 months left on my warranty.

Is it possible the problem lays deeper (possibly motherboard?) and that is causing the power supplies to die ?!?!?!??

I am really losing confidence in the power supplies that Dell is providing.

What happens when my warranty runs out -  I have to keep buying Dell's proprietary power supplies that don't work ?!?!?!!

Replies (15)
3 Silver

HI, Sorry about your problem, I'm not sure how to help you, but I would guess yes, that some other problem in the computer is causing your power supply failures.  Hopefully someone else will give you more help, but if not, If I were you I'd try to get another power supply from Dell before your warrenty runs out.   I do know that no, once your warrenty runs out, you can get a different power supply from somewhere else-unfortunately at your own cost, but hey.

Good luck, Kendra

5 Rhenium

Hi Oaken Times, Your not having a lot of luck with these PSU. While you still have 2 months warrenty left on your system. I would give Dell support a ring and get them to send you out another one. The last PSU might have been an refurnished PSU, under Dell warranty they can do this. The problem is not with your mobo.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I do know that no, once your warrenty runs out, you can get a different power supply from somewhere else-unfortunately at your own cost, but hey.

No, Dell's power supply is not a standard ATX. 

The only way to get a new is through Dell or possibly the company that manufactures it for Dell.

I'm not going to keep buying new power supplies and I highly doubt a replacement from Dell will last much longer; seeing the result of the past 2 power supplies.  

I'm considering taking this issue to the Better Business Bureau and possibly the CPA.

5 Rhenium

Hi OakenTimes, If your system is still under warranty, then Dell will have to supply you with an PSU for free.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi OakenTimes, If your system is still under warranty, then Dell will have to supply you with an PSU for free.

I realize that. You are not reading my posts.

I have lost confidence in the reliability of DELL's PSU , when the warranty runs out (in only 2 months) and not having the option of using ANY OTHER BRAND PSU does not sit well with me.

HOW WELL WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED DELL PSU WHEN THE WARRANTY ENDS ??

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THESE PROBLEMS WHEN PURCHASING A DELL COMPUTER!

**After reviewing and editing this post,  I have taken out the violation against the forum rules.  

If this post is deleted again it will be entered as evidence of violation of freedom of speech.**

10 Diamond

'.....HOW WELL WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED DELL PSU WHEN THE WARRANTY ENDS ??.....'

No warranty, then you should be able to buy the power supply from Dell Spare Parts HERE

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

3 Silver

Is Dell's power supply not being a standard ATX something new?  I have put other power supplies in a Dell computer before, I did it 4 years ago, and the comp still runs great!  Now if this is something they have done differently in the last four years, than I apologize, if not, it can be done cause I've done it.

10 Diamond

Is Dell's power supply not being a standard ATX something new?  I have put other power supplies in a Dell computer before, I did it 4 years ago, and the comp still runs great!  Now if this is something they have done differently in the last four years, than I apologize, if not, it can be done cause I've done it.  

kaloesche

No, it's not something new, all of Dell's small form factor and some of the XPS systems use proprietary power supplies.  Until several years ago, all of Dell's desktop systems power supplies had proprietary motherboard power connectors, if a standard ATX power supply was installed, the motherboard was fried.

Dell Dimension systems, 2200,2300,4300,4400,4500, 8200, and above, the power supplies [20-pin] are standard ATX, that have been modified, by having the power on-off switch removed.

There are some models that have an open back panel, where a power supply with the on/off switch can be used without having to modify the back panel.

PSU's in the Dimension systems, prior to these systems are not standard and are proprietary.

Dimension 4700, 8400 systems and above, use standard ATX [24-pin or 20+4-pin motherboard power connector] power supplies.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

10 Diamond

Deleted due to, "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!  Please try your request again..." forum error, causing multiple posts.

Forum Member since 2001

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor