Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 28th, 2008 07:00

XPS 720 Power Supply +AGAIN+

1. My first power supply died on me back near the end of September.

2. The replacement ps is now doing/exhibiting the same symptoms as when the first one died.

3. I have about 2 months left on my warranty.

Is it possible the problem lays deeper (possibly motherboard?) and that is causing the power supplies to die ?!?!?!??

I am really losing confidence in the power supplies that Dell is providing.

What happens when my warranty runs out -  I have to keep buying Dell's proprietary power supplies that don't work ?!?!?!!

37 Posts

HI, Sorry about your problem, I'm not sure how to help you, but I would guess yes, that some other problem in the computer is causing your power supply failures.  Hopefully someone else will give you more help, but if not, If I were you I'd try to get another power supply from Dell before your warrenty runs out.   I do know that no, once your warrenty runs out, you can get a different power supply from somewhere else-unfortunately at your own cost, but hey.

Good luck, Kendra

30 Posts

I do know that no, once your warrenty runs out, you can get a different power supply from somewhere else-unfortunately at your own cost, but hey.

No, Dell's power supply is not a standard ATX. 

The only way to get a new is through Dell or possibly the company that manufactures it for Dell.

I'm not going to keep buying new power supplies and I highly doubt a replacement from Dell will last much longer; seeing the result of the past 2 power supplies.  

I'm considering taking this issue to the Better Business Bureau and possibly the CPA.

3.7K Posts

Hi Oaken Times, Your not having a lot of luck with these PSU. While you still have 2 months warrenty left on your system. I would give Dell support a ring and get them to send you out another one. The last PSU might have been an refurnished PSU, under Dell warranty they can do this. The problem is not with your mobo.

3.7K Posts

December 28th, 2008 09:00

Hi OakenTimes, If your system is still under warranty, then Dell will have to supply you with an PSU for free.

30 Posts

December 28th, 2008 10:00

Hi OakenTimes, If your system is still under warranty, then Dell will have to supply you with an PSU for free.

I realize that. You are not reading my posts.

I have lost confidence in the reliability of DELL's PSU , when the warranty runs out (in only 2 months) and not having the option of using ANY OTHER BRAND PSU does not sit well with me.

HOW WELL WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED DELL PSU WHEN THE WARRANTY ENDS ??

I DID NOT SIGN UP FOR THESE PROBLEMS WHEN PURCHASING A DELL COMPUTER!

**After reviewing and editing this post,  I have taken out the violation against the forum rules.  

If this post is deleted again it will be entered as evidence of violation of freedom of speech.**

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 28th, 2008 13:00

'.....HOW WELL WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED DELL PSU WHEN THE WARRANTY ENDS ??.....'

No warranty, then you should be able to buy the power supply from Dell Spare Parts HERE

Bev.

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 19:00

Is Dell's power supply not being a standard ATX something new?  I have put other power supplies in a Dell computer before, I did it 4 years ago, and the comp still runs great!  Now if this is something they have done differently in the last four years, than I apologize, if not, it can be done cause I've done it.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2008 20:00

Is Dell's power supply not being a standard ATX something new?  I have put other power supplies in a Dell computer before, I did it 4 years ago, and the comp still runs great!  Now if this is something they have done differently in the last four years, than I apologize, if not, it can be done cause I've done it.  

kaloesche

No, it's not something new, all of Dell's small form factor and some of the XPS systems use proprietary power supplies.  Until several years ago, all of Dell's desktop systems power supplies had proprietary motherboard power connectors, if a standard ATX power supply was installed, the motherboard was fried.

Dell Dimension systems, 2200,2300,4300,4400,4500, 8200, and above, the power supplies [20-pin] are standard ATX, that have been modified, by having the power on-off switch removed.

There are some models that have an open back panel, where a power supply with the on/off switch can be used without having to modify the back panel.

PSU's in the Dimension systems, prior to these systems are not standard and are proprietary.

Dimension 4700, 8400 systems and above, use standard ATX [24-pin or 20+4-pin motherboard power connector] power supplies.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2008 20:00

Deleted due to, "Sorry, there was a problem with your last request!  Please try your request again..." forum error, causing multiple posts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 29th, 2008 21:00

Kendra

The 4600 would be in the 'and above' category, LOL.    :emotion-5:    :emotion-2:

Have a great New Year.

Bev.

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 22:00

Wait a minute!  I don't mean to keep reminding you of your beef, but if you just got this system, that means that Dell stopped using proprietary (sp?) power supplies-making everyone happy, and then they started it again?  How Rude! 

Does the 703XPSx have one of those?  I am considering/researching/praying to God I can really afford it-hoping to buy one.  I know it has a 1000kw power supply, and I should never really need to upgrade that but I'm not springing for the 2 yr warrenty. Upps sorry that is breaking a forum rule isn't it, jumping into someone's post asking a question.

Gosh I really feel your pain Original Poster, I understood your frustration-but it's wrong that you just can't go get a part somewhere else after your warrenty runs out.

Good luck

37 Posts

December 29th, 2008 22:00

LOL it must have been!     You have a great New Year also!

:emotion-46:

30 Posts

December 30th, 2008 11:00

[quote user="OakenTimes"]

'.....HOW WELL WILL I BE ABLE TO PURCHASE THE REQUIRED DELL PSU WHEN THE WARRANTY ENDS ??.....'

No warranty, then you should be able to buy the power supply from Dell Spare Parts HERE

Bev.

[/quote]

The only power supply I can find is this for $181:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/category.aspx?k=PM480&_nks=true&c=us&category_id=7051&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&mfgpid=190542&chassisid=8248&x=0&y=0

1. It is my understanding that my xps 720 has a 750w psu...  I cannot find it anywhere.

2. Why are all these power supplies REFURBISHED??

3. What kind of warranty will I get with the power supply,  provided I can even find the correct one?

4. I can get a brand new ATX power supply from other sites for $90 with a 5 YEAR WARRANTY !

Come on Dell you can do alot better than this,  this is absolutely terrible service,  it truly is.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

OakenTimes

It's Dell's policy to have all their spare or replacement parts sold as 'Refurbished'.

The warranty on 'Refurbished' parts is 90 days, see HERE

A 'Pulled' Dell OEM 750w, XPS 720 power supply, can be purchased from HERE for $69.00, if you want Dell's price on the 750w unit, you need to call Dell Spare Parts.

Bev.

14.4K Posts

December 30th, 2008 12:00

oakentimes

That is a good price.

You can ONLY use a Dell supply in the 700/710/720. This was another of Dells big mistakes with these systems. They designed a completely proprietary supply for these systems

The supplies like all of Dells after build parts are marked as refurbished. This is something to do with their accounting methods

The supply will come with a standard 90 day warranty

Sorry but you cannot use any other supply on the Dell motherboard.

No Events found!