Community Manager

Re: XPS 730 FANS AT 100%

bigwatch,

Still checking on this.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Chris,

Thanks. I'll keep checking back here, hopefully there's a fix. I haven't tried restoring to factory defaults(ctrl+f11 on boot up). I wonder if this will work...

Community Manager
Community Manager

bigwatch,

Our XPS 730 on boot revs to 100 then backs down to the profile setting. We have the latest bios and drivers loaded.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

chris,

do your fans rev to 100% for 1-2 secs or does it rev to 100% until the computer loads the desktop?

when i first received my computer, when i bootup the system, the fans would rev to 100% for 1-2 secs and then drop to normal(almost no sound). this is all while the system still has the black screen with the windows logo and load bar on screen. i am failry confident that you know what i am describing.

for whatever reason, the computer now has its fans running at 100% once I press the power button. it remains that way until the desktop is loaded.

i hope you are not telling me this is normal. because if it was, it would've done this the FIRST time i used my computer. if this is normal it would be doing the same thing on my xps 630 and 730 computers i have at work.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

here's a link to a youtube video i found of someone experiencing the same problems as i am.

i don't know how this could possibly be passed off as being normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGsvpuvgXs

as mentioned in the comments section of the video, the fans should only rev up for 1-2 seconds upon bootup.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

bigwatch,

So the MIO jumper thing did nothing?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

chris,

no, it didn't appear to do anything. i had set my leds lights to 'off' and after i reset the MIO jumper, the lights went back to the way it was out of the box, which is apparently purple and blue.

i guess the the fans go to 'auto' on bootup but the problem is auto makes the fans go to 100%. it used be that when 'auto' was selected, the fans would be quiet and vary when needed. something is apparently triggering the auto fans to go to 100%.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Note - Vista users. My preference is to turn off UAC (User Account Control). I see it as a hindrance, but that is your call.

* Remove the current Nvidia ESA Performance (plus its profiles), Dell Nvidia ESA Monitor, and Dell Nvidia ESA System Update or the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support from the Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs
* When finished, restart the XPS 730

* Download and install the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support 6.02 which has the ESA Performance, ESA System Monitor, and the ESA System Update merged into one package
* When finished, restart the XPS 730

* Go here and download the XPS 730 MIO board A02 firmware to your desktop
* Double-click XPS_730_Dell_System-Utilities-ESA_A02_R182623.exe
* Follow the prompts to extract the file to C:\dell\drivers\R182623
* Click Start- Programs- NVIDIA Corporation- NVIDIA Control Panel- Performance
* Click Custom View- Advanced
* Under System Update, click Update your ESA Firmware
* Click Browse and navigate to the C:\dell\drivers\R182623\XPS730_A02.hex
* Click XPS730_A02.hex
* Click Open
* Click Load FW
* The colored LEDs will revert to the factory defaults
* Click OK to the message, Your firmware was updated successfully
* Close all boxes and restart the XPS 730

Message Edited by DELL-Chris M on 09-08-2008 01:42 PM

Highlighted
2 Bronze

chris,

it looks like that fixed the problem! my computer no longer sounds like a vacuum during bootup, only for a few secs but thats the way it was when i first received my computer. thanks alot chris, you've been really helpful.

just one more thing. is that a new esa firmware that you had me update or the same as the default one? because i dont know if the firmware version changed on the screen. i could've sworn it was version 22 before i updated it.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

bigwatch,

It looks new to me.