Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 13:00

XPS 730 FANS AT 100%

Hey all, this is my second post regarding my xps 730 fans running at 100%. My first post had no replies. I know this issue has come up alot, especially for the xps 630. It's just getting really frustrating because I have no idea what to do. It also dosen't help that most of the posts here are for the xps 630, with the ESA updates, BIOS updates etc etc. I have no idea if they are compatible with my xps 730.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can respond with some help. I'm hoping Chris might have a solution.

Here's a rundown of what's happened and what I've tried.

Whenever I turn on my computer the fans start at 100%(sounds like a vacuum). I open the Nvidia control panel > performance > chassis, under "CREATE", I uncheck the 'automatic fan' option and adjust accordingly. I choose to save as 'FAN1' and choose that profile to start when system is started. Once I restart the computer, the fans remain at 100%.

I've also tried adjusted the other profiles that were availble, USERDFLT and OSBOOT(names may not be exact). No dice. There's also a SYSDEFAULT profile that appears when I try saving a new profile, but I don't know how to make changes to it.

I've tried uninstalling the software, reinstalling. NO GO. Tried powering computer off, removing power cable, holding power button for 10secs, power computer back on. SAMETHING!! =(

On a side note, everything was working fine for the first 2 weeks when I received my computer. I'm sad to say this all started when I was trying to adjust the LED lights(turn them off).

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure I've missed some things. It's just really frustrating and I know some people here must be in the same boat as me. Please help!

23 Posts

July 30th, 2008 13:00

chris,

no, it didn't appear to do anything. i had set my leds lights to 'off' and after i reset the MIO jumper, the lights went back to the way it was out of the box, which is apparently purple and blue.

i guess the the fans go to 'auto' on bootup but the problem is auto makes the fans go to 100%. it used be that when 'auto' was selected, the fans would be quiet and vary when needed. something is apparently triggering the auto fans to go to 100%.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 30th, 2008 21:00

Note - Vista users. My preference is to turn off UAC (User Account Control). I see it as a hindrance, but that is your call.

* Remove the current Nvidia ESA Performance (plus its profiles), Dell Nvidia ESA Monitor, and Dell Nvidia ESA System Update or the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support from the Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs
* When finished, restart the XPS 730

* Download and install the NVIDIA System Tools with ESA Support 6.02 which has the ESA Performance, ESA System Monitor, and the ESA System Update merged into one package
* When finished, restart the XPS 730

* Go here and download the XPS 730 MIO board A02 firmware to your desktop
* Double-click XPS_730_Dell_System-Utilities-ESA_A02_R182623.exe
* Follow the prompts to extract the file to C:\dell\drivers\R182623
* Click Start- Programs- NVIDIA Corporation- NVIDIA Control Panel- Performance
* Click Custom View- Advanced
* Under System Update, click Update your ESA Firmware
* Click Browse and navigate to the C:\dell\drivers\R182623\XPS730_A02.hex
* Click XPS730_A02.hex
* Click Open
* Click Load FW
* The colored LEDs will revert to the factory defaults
* Click OK to the message, Your firmware was updated successfully
* Close all boxes and restart the XPS 730

Message Edited by DELL-Chris M on 09-08-2008 01:42 PM

23 Posts

July 31st, 2008 00:00

chris,

it looks like that fixed the problem! my computer no longer sounds like a vacuum during bootup, only for a few secs but thats the way it was when i first received my computer. thanks alot chris, you've been really helpful.

just one more thing. is that a new esa firmware that you had me update or the same as the default one? because i dont know if the firmware version changed on the screen. i could've sworn it was version 22 before i updated it.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 31st, 2008 03:00

bigwatch,

It looks new to me.

23 Posts

July 31st, 2008 13:00

cool. thanks again chris.

1 Message

August 5th, 2008 14:00

bigwatch and Chris,

glad to here you have your fan problem resolved. I came across the youtube video about the noise of the 730 before reading your post and that video has stopped me from ordering a 730. I just don't want to have a vaccum cleaner running continuous in my workspace, just afraid the EPA people will come to my office and shut it down for me :)

Does your system has H2C or the air cool option? I am planning to order a 730 with the air cool option (not H2C), since I am not going to have the extreme (over-clocked) CPU. I am wonder whether the air cool option is quite enough for use in a quite office environment? Another thing, it is necessary to have the H2C option when using the over-clocked CPU?

It would be great if you can share your experinece with me. Thanks.

23 Posts

August 5th, 2008 16:00

voneone,

my system does not have the h2c cooling feature. i live in canada and as per the website, it dosent look like the h2c feature is available anymore. i cant seem to find it when i try customizing a system. the only 2 cooling options available are the 'copper base heat sink with aluminum fins' (i believe it is the default option, i have this option) and the 'cpu liquid/tec cooling atx unit'. im not too sure what the 'air cool option' is that you're referring to but since my computer dosent have the h2c feature, im assuming i have the 'air cool option'.

regarding the youtube video and your concerns on the fan noise, apparently it is not something that happens often on the xps 730's. if everything is working correctly, the xps 730 should be very quiet and you probably wont notice any noise. if you browse the forums here, you'll notice that most of the fan issues are regarding the xps 630. i guess mine was more of a rare issue.

as for overclocking your cpu and whether or not you'll need the h2c option, im not too sure. i dont plan on overclocking my cpu. this is something that maybe chris will be able to help you out with.

other than the fan issue(resolved!), the system does everything i need it to and i really dont have any complaints.

513 Posts

August 5th, 2008 17:00

'copper base heat sink with aluminum fins' equals air cooling.

'cpu liquid/tec cooling atx unit' equals H2C (that is, liquid cooling - it's like a car's radiator)

139 Posts

August 5th, 2008 17:00

@bigwatch wrote:

voneone,

regarding the youtube video and your concerns on the fan noise, apparently it is not something that happens often on the xps 730's. if everything is working correctly, the xps 730 should be very quiet and you probably wont notice any noise. if you browse the forums here, you'll notice that most of the fan issues are regarding the xps 630. i guess mine was more of a rare issue.

other than the fan issue(resolved!), the system does everything i need it to and i really don't have any complaints.

@ bigwatch: Unfortunately you weren't the only one with loud fans. I've got the H2C option have had some troubles regarding the cooling system or fans. They started acting up a few days ago and now I'm looking at a motherboard/fans replacement. When I saw your post and troubles - I thought it would solve my problem as well..But so far it's looking like I have other problems. 

@ voneone: The computer ran fine for about 3 weeks. And before my problems..The computer was fairly quiet..Not really noticeable at idle. The 730 does "fire up" when you start it..So the fans will be high for a 1-2 second burst then quiet down. I don't consider the normal operation of the computer to be obtrusive in terms of noise. I'm in a 12X12 room. 

26 Posts

August 27th, 2008 03:00

Your "Go here" link is broken and now I need to try to reflash my ESA Firmware on my 4 hours new XPS 730.

Can someone post an updated link or maybe PM me for my email to send me the XPS730_A02.hex.

I can't beleive this is a problem on the 730 as well, which I ordered specifically not to have the same issues as the 630, as well as a bit nicer box (and 2.5x the price)

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

August 27th, 2008 12:00

xponentia,

Checking into this. Try this for now -

* Power the PC off
* Open the case cover

* Look for the Master Control board underneath the PCI Card Cage and Front CPU fan assemblies

* There is a blue plastic jumper on pins 2 and 3
* Place the jumper on pins 1 and 2
* Power the PC on, then off
* Place the jumper back on pins 2 and 3
* Replace the cover
* Power the PC on

26 Posts

August 27th, 2008 15:00

It still happens after doing the jumper move, however if I leave it on 2 and 3 and boot up, it stays quiet and the lights are default, but I cannot set the lights using the software or the fans, so it's not fixed, but at least it's quieter until it's fixed.

September 8th, 2008 14:00

Chris-

I have an XPS 730 and after tweaking the lights, I'm having the same fan at 100% issue.  I really want to try your fix on page 2 but as has been stated the 'here' link doesn't work.  Any progress on a new link or resolution?   DELL XPS support told me they have never run across this issue before.  So much for premier support.  I should email them a link to this thread and then ask them again if this is a known issue...

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 8th, 2008 17:00

Fixed my links and changed the instructions. See message 18 in this thread.

September 8th, 2008 17:00

Thanks very much.  Will this fix it for good?  Or is it just a temporary fix back to the way it was?  Will I be able to mess with the LEDs trouble free?
No Events found!