Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2008 13:00

XPS 730 FANS AT 100%

Hey all, this is my second post regarding my xps 730 fans running at 100%. My first post had no replies. I know this issue has come up alot, especially for the xps 630. It's just getting really frustrating because I have no idea what to do. It also dosen't help that most of the posts here are for the xps 630, with the ESA updates, BIOS updates etc etc. I have no idea if they are compatible with my xps 730.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone can respond with some help. I'm hoping Chris might have a solution.

Here's a rundown of what's happened and what I've tried.

Whenever I turn on my computer the fans start at 100%(sounds like a vacuum). I open the Nvidia control panel > performance > chassis, under "CREATE", I uncheck the 'automatic fan' option and adjust accordingly. I choose to save as 'FAN1' and choose that profile to start when system is started. Once I restart the computer, the fans remain at 100%.

I've also tried adjusted the other profiles that were availble, USERDFLT and OSBOOT(names may not be exact). No dice. There's also a SYSDEFAULT profile that appears when I try saving a new profile, but I don't know how to make changes to it.

I've tried uninstalling the software, reinstalling. NO GO. Tried powering computer off, removing power cable, holding power button for 10secs, power computer back on. SAMETHING!! =(

On a side note, everything was working fine for the first 2 weeks when I received my computer. I'm sad to say this all started when I was trying to adjust the LED lights(turn them off).

Sorry for the long post, I'm sure I've missed some things. It's just really frustrating and I know some people here must be in the same boat as me. Please help!

100 Posts

September 15th, 2008 18:00

regarding new A02 firmware

i didnt get issue regarding fans... but just now i flash the firmware 

before i update the version showing 22... and after i flash the firmware it still showing same version (22)

i dunno whether developer forgot to change the version number or its just patch that dont count as new version, but i like the version number changed to make sure i installed the update correctly

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

September 15th, 2008 18:00

slyphnier,

"before i update the version showing 22... and after i flash the firmware it still showing same version (22)"
That is normal for this update. After you clicked Load FW, if you got the option to click OK, then the firmware loaded correctly.

100 Posts

September 16th, 2008 13:00

thanks for the validation chris

just want to make sure everything normal ^^

2 Posts

September 28th, 2008 05:00

Had the same exact problem plus the BIOS registered a "ambient temperature sensor failure" upon boot. Fixed the problem by reinstalling the ESA firmware as instructed on this thread to the letter. I can even mess with the LED's now with no problems! I did not have to take my computer apart. :)    Thanks Chris. It's nice to know that someone at Dell is making an effort to relieve this seemingly common problem.

September 28th, 2008 23:00

To any of you with the 100% Fan and LED problem. I am having the same problem and will try the fix on message 18 when I get home. Did any of you having this problem get an ALERT on restart saying "Alert! M/B USB cable has been disconected"? This was on a black screen with Phoenix at the top upon restart. Got the same message after second restart but did not get it on a third. Any one else get this or know what it means?

2 Posts

September 30th, 2008 04:00

Micah, you are seeing a message for your USB cable being unplugged probably for the same reason I saw this: "Alert! Ambient temperature sensor failure!" in my Phoenix BIOS screen. It seems that when this problem occurs, the software the controls the master control board  (I/O board) becomes corrupted. This is the ESA Firmware. It makes sense because the same software that allows you to control the color of the LED lights is the same software that controls EVERYTHING else that we are seeing malfunction, fans, temperature sensors, usb connectors, you name it. If the ESA firmware fix works for you, that message should go away. However, when I tried talking to a Dell representative about the problem initially, he had me refresh the BIOS. After I did that I had the same Ambient temperature sensor message PLUS an error message for the floppy drive and the audio cable! I corrected this by resetting the BIOS setup setting for a floppy drive to "none" (my system has no floppy drive) and by setting the audio device to "HDMI only" If the fix in this thread fixes everything but your error message make sure your BIOS is set to the correct function for the USB peripherals.
No Events found!