Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

February 11th, 2013 04:00

XPS 730 - Help!!

Had my XPS 730 for 4 years, in the last few months it's started behaving erratically, in the last few weeks it has gotten worse, no changes to hardware etc.

Here's what happens:

• Randomly freezes
  • Fans go crazy randomly - full blast without any reason
  • Sometimes doesn't boot up at all

I've read about the water cooling leaking - symptoms are stains on the bottom of the case - but I don't see any stains so not sure this is the issue.

I put the CPU overclock down to x6 instead of default x8 to see if that would make a diff but still randomly freezing / fans going crazy.

I installed nvidia system tools and my CPU temps are showing 75-80c - no idea if this is normal.

Any help greatly apperciated!!!

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 11th, 2013 05:00

Hi scotiwis,

To isolate/resolve the issue follow below mentioned troubleshooting:

Clean Air vents:

1. Check the vents on the computer to see if they are covered with dust and not allowing heat and air to pass through.
  2. Turn off the System
  3. Remove all power sources: Unplug the AC Adapter and Remove the Battery, or Unplug the Desktop Power Cord.
  4. Use a compressed air can to blow the dust out of the vents. Be sure to hold the can at an upright (near 90 degree angle) and hold it 15-20 centimeters (6-8 inches) away from the target.

Hardware Diagnostics Check:

Run diagnostics on the computer (restart the computer by holding FN and Power button simultaneously) let the diagnostics complete.

Awaiting your response!

9 Posts

February 11th, 2013 06:00

Hi Nikhil,

As regards cleaning the vents - the front of the water cooling unit looks covered in dust but I can't access it to clean it. At the very front of the pc at the bottom there is a vent on the case, just behind that is the front of the water cooling unit which is covered with dust, but I can't get to it. Can you advise if this part of the water cooling unit is actually a vent that needs cleaned? If it is how do I access it to clean it?

Thanks

9 Posts

February 12th, 2013 06:00

Have cleaned out all vents using compressed air. Ran diagnostic check, said everything was ok. Water cooling unit appears to be working - can feel the water moving through the pipes. Temps still around 80C idle and random freezing. Any further ideas? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 12th, 2013 10:00

Hi scotiwis,

I suggest you to update the BIOS to the latest version and check. To update the BIOS follow the below mentioned steps:

1.Visit the following website: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
2.Enter the Service tag of the computer in the box provided and click “Submit”.
3.In the next page, click drop down arrow to select the Operating System which is installed in the computer.
4.Under category BIOS, click “Get driver” and save the file on desktop.Run the file and restart the system.

Check the functionality of the system and post the results.

9 Posts

February 12th, 2013 15:00

I've updated the bios to the latest version, I don't know how to post the results - all diagnostic tests I've run, including the full dell test, say PASS to everything. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

February 15th, 2013 07:00

Hi scotiwis,

Please check the temperature of the laptop in operating environment and post the temperature. Also check if the laptop is freezing when using it. And reply if the problem persists.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA

Awaiting your response.

February 15th, 2013 12:00

Hi there Scotiwis

I just stumbled across your post/problem so thought I would share my experience.  I have the XPS 730 H2C which gave me exactly the same issues.  Random freezes and reboots, failing to fully boot etc.  Nothing consistent and very annoying.

I cleaned everything and removed/replaced all key components but the problems persisted.  At times I thought I had repaired it as it could go days without issue but then would fall over.

I eventually removed 2 of the memory modules and the problems went away.  I therefore assumed that one of the sticks was at fault so bought 4 new 2GB sticks to replace the 4 old 1GB sticks (thought I may as well upgrade at the same time!).  Again all seemed well for a few days and then problems started.  I therefore removed a couple of sticks and so far it has been fine for a long time.  I have therefore concluded that the problem is on the motherboard and relates to the RAM slots for the second pair (the pair closed to the rear of the unit).

I therefore recommend you remove and play around with the RAM modules and see if that solves your issue as intermittent faults are a right pain to track down.

I also got annoyed so just bought an XPS 8500 which so far seems great!

Good luck

David

9 Posts

February 16th, 2013 02:00

David, many thanks for that info. It has been running without freezing for a few days so I'm not tempting fate! But as soon as it goes again I'll try your suggestion. So to clarify - you mean remove the two sticks closest to the rear of the unit and keep the 2 sticks closest to the front.

Cheers

February 16th, 2013 05:00

On mine I had to remove two of the modules closest to the rear of the unit but retained (I actually upgraded) the front 2.  This suggested to me that there is an issue on the motherboard.   You may be lucky and it could be just one of the modules so try removing one at a time and see if that works.  If no try a pair.  It was a bit of trial and error for me but eventually worked and no more issues since.

No Events found!