applepie2100
1 Copper

XPS 730 Overheating and Randomly Shutting Down

I have to say at this moment in time I'm seriously regretting purchasing this machine!

Approx 9 months ago I became the (not so) proud owner of an XPS 730H2C.

For about 8 months the machine has been performing fairly well with only the odd niggle, however about a month ago it started randomly switching itself off without any warning and also the fans seemed to be getting louder and louder.  This lead me to suspect a problem with the machine overheating.  I've been monitoring the CPU temperatures with CoreTemp and have found that one occasion when the CPU was at approx 70% load, the temperature in two of the cores hit 125 degrees celcius (not Farenheit!).  Even when idling the CPU seems to hit 50 degrees Celcius without even trying.

I've made several attempts to resolve the issue by thorough cleaning to ensure good air flow, changing fan settings through the nVidia control panel, a full reformat and re-install using nVidia reference drivers and the most upto date Dell drivers and short of underclocking the system have had no luck in resolving the issue.

With the fans running at full speed the system almost sounds like it's about to take off and makes it most unpleasant to use.  Having read this forum and other online sources, it does indeed seem that these machines have some overheating issues.  Does anyone have any other suggestions before I start what I suspect will be a very long and very unpleasant time with Dell and their utterly outstanding Technical Support?

Cheers

Craig.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
SCI001
1 Copper

Re: XPS 730 Overheating and Randomly Shutting Down

I have the same problem.  Did not adjust the fan speed, but replaced the motherboard and all the fans.  The silver tube for the H2C subsystem coming off the proceessor is very hot.  Their technicians did not know if that was OK or not.  I'm starting to suspect the problem may be with the H2C subsystem, which is currently out of stock.  The other possibility is that I'm using Geforce 9800s - 2 of them - and one sits directly above the processor.  It seems hot on the bottom as well.   

0 Kudos
applepie2100
1 Copper

My system spec is:

Quad Core Extreme Q9650 3.0 Factory OC'd to 3.67, 4gig DD2 PC1333 RAM, 2x 500gig SATA HD (1TB Raid), Single GTX280 Gfx and SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer.

To me this is not an outrageously over the top rig considering Dell themselves sell them at even higher specs!

Once I've completed this reformat I'm going to start doing battle with XPS Technical Support (most likely in one of the Asian sub-continents since I'm UK based) and if their service is anything like the after-sales service I had I'm going to need to lie down in dark room or visit the doctor after!

0 Kudos
SCI001
1 Copper

My config is essentially the same - different video cards.  I'm not seeing where I can adjust fan speed with the nVidia control panel.  How did you do that?  Running Speedfan, I get readings of 70-80C for each of the processor cores.  Just before shutdown, the readings get a bit crazy (even negative numbers).  I'm not thinking that reformatting has anything to do with this.  Neither does the motherboard or the fans themselves, since I replaced these and had the same problem.  I'm left with the H2C subsystem as the probable culprit.  The wierd part is that once it shuts down, It typically can be restarted after two or three attempts in fairly rapid succession.  If the cores were truly overheated, it should take longer to cool down.  This would seem to indicate heat spikes - not a consistent cooling issue, but a sporadic one.  This can happen with virtually no load on the proecssors - for example when looking at streaming video from the web.  Just curious - does the silver tube from the H2C that's attached to the processor feel very hot to the touch?  Mine does - and Dell can't tell me if that's normal or not.  Oh well.

0 Kudos
applepie2100
1 Copper

Just a quick update...

After a first call to XPS Technical Support and getting no-where I called back again where a rather nice chap spoke to his manager for me and agreed to book an engineer visit to look at the machine.

Lets hope this is both the beginning and the end of the issue although from other posts here I highly doubt it!

0 Kudos
SCI001
1 Copper

Let me know what they find out.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
snowerw
2 Iron

Same problems, 730HC2 finally the machine will not boot up at all. I get HC2 CPU pump failure and like you said the parts were out of stock. I have been waiting a month now for the replacement parts. However I have the feeling they wont show up with the correct ones when whatever dell is sending gets here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
SCI001
1 Copper

I'm not sure the H2C pump is the problem in my case.  I used Speedfan to monitor the core tems, and just before shutdown they spiked above 100C.  Normally they operate around 60-80C.  During the spike I noticed the fans were not running at any kind of higher speed, and they normally fluctuate up and down.  I adjusted the CPU fan speed using the nVidia control panel to 50% and the CPU temps have stayed around 60C since.  No shutdowns.  I asked Dell to send a new Master I/O board, since that controls the fans, and should get that tomorrow.  Guess we'll see what happens then.  On the other hand, if you got a message about the H2C pump failing - that is more likely to be your problem than the Master I/O.  I have had other problems since day 1 with this machine coming back from Sleep, (huge delays in keyboard and mouse response) and they have never resolved those.  Perhaps they are also related to the I/O board. 

0 Kudos
SCI001
1 Copper

Update - the Master I/O board did not solve the problem.  Short of replacing the cooling system, not sure there is anything else I can do.  Spoke with my account rep (in sales) at Dell, and he indicated we were not the only ones with problems with the 730.  However, he has not had any issues brought up with the 730X.  I asked Dell to replace my system and they complied.  Should receive the 730X tomorrow, so I can begin the miserable process of reloading all my software again.  Truthfully, I'd rather get a refund and buy an Alienware instead.  Not much faith in the 730 line.

0 Kudos
applepie2100
1 Copper

Wel the engineer came out today it seems my issue is resolved for now at least!

It seems my H2C unit had leaked and the cooling fluid ended up all over the bottom of the chassis 😞

One new cooling unit and cleanup later and I'm back idling at 24 degrees celcius again with 100% CPU load giving between 50 and 55.

Fingers crossed it runs well for a bit!

0 Kudos