Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 7th, 2012 16:00

XPS 730 gaming memory

hi all. 

Im here today to hopefully pick up some much needed info. what im looking for is gaming memory. right now i have 4 gig & want to go to 8 gig so i can install win 7 64 bit. Im not sure what brand of memory to get or am i restricted to only a few. would like to possibly overclock also.

My system is as follows.

xps 730 liquid cooled.

nvidia 790i ultra sli mobo running at 1333 mhz fsb.

4 gigs of memory

intel core 2 extreme  qx 9650  3.0 ghz overclocked to 3.7ghz

dual 9800 gt's in sli mode, but want to get a pair of gtx 480's

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June 7th, 2012 17:00

Hi Feelnqueasy,

Welcome to the community.

The XPS 730 system uses 1066 MHz and faster DDR3 unbuffered SDRAM; SLI memory. DDR3 SDRAM or double-data-rate three synchronous dynamic random access memory is a random access memory technology. It is a part of the SDRAM family of technologies, which is one of many DRAM (dynamic random access memory) implementations, and is an evolutionary improvement over its predecessor, DDR2 SDRAM.

So you can opt for DDR3-1066 (133 MHz) or DDR3-1333 (166 MHz) as both are compatible with your computer. Memory chips of any brand of the mentioned specifications will work with this system.

There are 4 slots on the motherboard where you can install the memory chips. Each slot can have a maximum of 2 GB memory stick. In order to have the maximum memory, you would need to purchase 4 chips of 2 GB each.

Let me know in case there are any other concerns. Glad to be of assistance.

Chiranjeev

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 7th, 2012 17:00

Hi Feelnqueasy,

The regulars recommend Crucial. The fastest speed they recommend is DDR3 PC3-10600.

No Events found!