mrandoc
1 Copper

XPS 730 occasionally fails to start

Normally when I start my system, it starts with a loud "WHIRRR", which then dies down to a low hum, and then the system starts.  Perhaps once every 20-30 boots, the loud WHIRRR never dies down, and the system quite simply never starts.  The screen doesn't turn on, absolutely nothing happens besides the sustained loud WHIRRing sound.  So basically I hold the power down until it shuts down, wait a few seconds, and start it again, which generally works just fine.  Is this a known issue?  Does anybody know the cause?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Darrell WV
3 Zinc

Re: XPS 730 occasionally fails to start

Hello mrandoc,

On my XPS 730 when the unit starts up it begins to "look" for the hard drive to boot, and the unit will search all hard drives attached to the computor, including external and attached periferals as well as the internal hard drives.  I have a back up external attached that I have to leave turned off until the 730 completes it post.  Same with all-in-one printers with data ports/card reader ports.  The issue is that the computor can not decide which hard drive to post from, so limit the choices to the internal drives.

Best,

Darrell WV

0 Kudos
Highlighted
snowerw
2 Iron

I have a 730HC2, my system started to do that and it got more sever over time taking more power on/offs to get it to boot. Then it started giving some CPU frequency error message saying to reset it in Setup or F1 to continue. Then I had a CPU pump failure which probably isnt related but after 6 weeks they were able to final get one to me for replacement. It cleared that error and tried to boot up but the computer either fails at the dell splash screen or never makes it and just shuts off now. So now they want to replace the mobo and processer. After trying to get that done for a week and a half they now say they cant get those or now that i am approaching 2 months with no system they are going to swap the tower instead of making me wait another month or two.

So my advice is to call it in because it will most likely keep getting worse.

0 Kudos
mrandoc
1 Copper

I don't have any pheripherals connected to the machine except an old DeskJet printer, so I'm doubting that's it.  I was operating under the assumption that it's some sort of power issue.  The frequency may be getting worse, though.  It's now done it 2 days in a row, whereas before it would be a good month between incidents.  It's hardly conclusive, but it's a bit disconcerting.

0 Kudos
Darrell WV
3 Zinc

Okay, then follow snowr's advice, report this to Tech Support and follow their instructions, which will be to do a Dell Diagnostics, probably followed by a OS reinstall.  I f that does not clear this up then see about a MOBO or MI/O replacement.  The peripherals was just the first step.

Best,

Darrell WV

0 Kudos
mrandoc
1 Copper

I've been digging around the support site, and it looks like the next time it happens, I should pop the case and take a look at the motherboard.  Apparently there's an LED that gives a status code in hex.  That should supposedly help diagnose the problem.  Do you really think an OS reinstall would do anything?  I mean, on the occasions when this happens, the machine never even gets to POST let alone starting Windows, it just hangs around in some sort of stall/error state.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos