Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2009 16:00

XPS 730X Thermal Issues

XPS 730X Thermal Issues

My XPS CPU pump and front CPU fan quickly increase to 4000 rpm when the CPU is under load and it's very loud.

Find my You Tube video of my XPS 730X here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XkzTvPFFr8

I have a I7-940 2.93GHz

Dell CPU Liquid/TEC Cooling ATX Unit (only CPU liquid cooled)

Nvidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB

Vista 64-bit Ultimate

I find that when I access the XPS Thermal Monitor I can ONLY adjust the Rear CPU Fan, PCI Cage Fan, HDD Fan. The Front CPU Fan and CPU pump are dimmed (I can't adjust them).

Any suggestions?

Are there other versions of the the Thermal Monitor? Or maybe the liquid cooling system was not appropriately fixed to the CPU?

I became especially interested in the XPS Thermal Monitor when my computer became loud running a game called Left4Dead. I've only had the computer a few days, but all other applications including Fallout3 do NOT lead to loud conditions. In a matter of a few seconds when running Left4Dead (in the game only, not the menus or splash screens) the CPU pump increases from about 1300rpm to 4000rpm and the Front CPU fan increases from about 1000rpm to 4000rpm. The ESA board increases in temp from about 75F to 81F. The ambient temp is a stable 72F. When I tab out of the game to the desktop the rpm of the CPU pump and Front CPU fan decreases within several seconds back to baseline. I have found this to be true for the video drivers GeForce WinVista64bit 181.20 versions 7.15.11.7743 and 7.15.118120.

I imagine if I could place an upper limit on the Front CPU fan I would find the noise while playing this game acceptable. Any advice on why I can only adjust three parameters in the XPS Thermal Monitor? I have created a new profile and unchecked the automatic fan control.

4000rpm for this front fan sounds like it's running at 100% and it is very loud.

According to Speedfan the CPU cores idle at about 38C and peak at about 74C. This seems about right to me. CoreTemp and RealTemp suggest the cores are idling at about 50-55C and peaking at about 85-93C. I'd need a temperature gun to be sure, but I assume these are reading high. I've read some about some I7 temp measurement problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 07:00

David,

You cannot adjust the Front CPU fan or the CPU pump. That is by design. Fan and pump are responding as expected based on the temperature. What is the CPU utilization when the fan is noisy versus not noisy? Was the CPU or H2C unit replaced on this system? Since this issue only occurs in Left4Dead, please run a non-game application (Prime 95) to exercise the cpu cores. Does the same issue occur?

* I need the following sent to me in a private message -
Name:
Email Address:
Shipping address:
Phone number:
Service tag number:
Reason: XPS 730x Thermal Issue

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 12:00

Great suggestion! I'm running Prime 95 now (100% all core loads). Within seconds my core CPU temps look like this according to HWMonitor.

Intel Core i7 940 hardware monitor

Temperature sensor 0    98°C (208°F) [0x2] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1    87°C (188°F) [0xD] (Core #1)
Temperature sensor 2    100°C (212°F) [0x0] (Core #2)
Temperature sensor 3    79°C (174°F) [0x15] (Core #3)

And the front CPU fan spins up to 4000rpm.
HWMonitor also appears to be able to report fan speeds (not sure what all these are, the thermal monitor only reports the front CPU fan spinning up to 4000):

Fan sensor 7          4004 RPM [0x1F48] (FANIN7)
Fan sensor 12        4000 RPM [0xFA0] (FANIN12)
Fan sensor 13        1987 RPM [0x7C3] (FANIN13)
Fan sensor 14        1296 RPM [0x510] (FANIN14)
Fan sensor 15        2243 RPM [0x8C3] (FANIN15)

This is loud.

The fan is not objectionably noisy at idle or when running many applications.

According to Core Temp the CPU load for the first two cores is in the 80-95% range when playing Left4Dead.

The unit was manufactured 1/07/2009 and no parts have been replaced.

The motherboard bios is version 1.0.0 (initial release).

If the unit would be stable with the front CPU fan spinning at 3000rpm that'd be great, but I understand this cannot currently be changed.

Thanks so much for the application suggestion (Prime 95)!

I look forward to any advice.

Also, if anyone is running a 730x with an I7 940 I'd love to hear if you are experiencing the same phenomena!

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

Could it be that the i7-940 runs hotter than the i7-965? I have a i7-940 with liquid cooling and the front fan spins up to max when the CPU is under load. It's kinda loud. I'd pay to the difference if upgrading the chip would solve this problem. A couple of folks on the general 730X thread with i7-965 CPUs seem to be suggesting they are not having this issue. Also I sent you the requested information via private message. Please let me know if you didn't receive it. Thanks so much.

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 20:00

Hi Chris,
I want to thank you for your help.
I posted my CPU temps to five different computer enthusiast forum groups:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5955337&posted=1#post5955337
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/448625-i7-940-not-oced-runs-99c-3.html#post5406459
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?p=25192&posted=1#post25192
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=2270285&enterthread=y
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1107663&p=-1#bottom

Folks are literally amazed and flabbergasted at the temperatures I am reporting.
Many of these folks seem to be familiar with how the i7 should be functioning under stock and over clocked conditions.
The consensus seems to be that the heat sink for the cooling system may be misinstalled.
Is there any way I can get a tech onsite to check this for me?
David

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 21:00

Hi Folks,

My problem is solved.

My i7-940 was running hot (i.e. 90-105C) under load.

After hours problem solving with Dell I posted my temps to five different computer enthusiast forums and the consensus was my waterblock/heatsink has to be loose or my pump is not working. First thing I thought when opening up to inspect my system was the that the shroud over the CPU pump that is attached to the waterblock seems like a very bad design and was loose. Well, after reading thirty or forty posts about how there is no way my i7-940 temps should be so high, I tightened the screws on the waterblock. My temps dropped about 20C-40C depending on load. Problem solved. Turns out the system is designed just fine if installed correctly. I'm a bit stumped that the Dell folks didn't seemed surprised my CPU was running at close to failure temperatures. To reiterate, my i7-940 CPU under load now runs at 60C instead of 90-105C. Thanks to everyone who listened and helped!

10 Posts

January 31st, 2009 06:00

Hello Mastin, I've the same problem than you with a i7 920 !

Can you explain me what you have done to solve the issue ?

Thanks you

30 Posts

February 4th, 2009 06:00

I noticed my front CPU fan and CPU pump increasing to 4000+rpm when playing the game left4dead.
I found several utilities confirmed my CPU was running hot (e.g. core temp, realtemp, hwmonitor),
especially when under load (left4dead and p95 utility).
By hot, you'll have to research what normal idle and load temps are for a 920. The Dell support team were not
able to provide these at the time of my problem.
There are several reasons a fan could be loud and/or a CPU could be running hot.
In my case, I noticed the cooling block was not securely attached to the CPU.
I purchased a long enough correct size screwdriver, grounded myself, and tightened the four screws and my problem was solved.
It is likely any thermal paste/pad installed in the factory is likely to have been ruined by the originally loose install, but I'm in no mood to find out as I'm getting acceptable temperatures now and very low fan rpm.
Please note my system is a 940 with liquid cooling.
I suggest only calling Dell support during normal business hours, preferably in the morning.
Good luck and take care.

10 Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

Thanks you mastin, it's solving my problem too . But one screw is to far for my screw driver.

So, i want that someone from dell came now to replace the thermal paste ;)

No Events found!