Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

38 Posts

January 5th, 2009 09:00

Mine shipped today :)

52 Posts

January 5th, 2009 10:00

Has anyone been able to get these items to work. also mystem does random reboots, it just shuts down for unknown reasons i have the xps 730x extreme 280 video caRD

6 Posts

how do we unsuscribe to thread.

tks

38 Posts

Has anyone been able to get these items to work. also mystem does random reboots, it just shuts down for unknown reasons i have the xps 730x extreme 280 video caRD

That certainly worries me. I paid a considerable amount of money for it and I am not really up for troubleshooting it like I would a custom made machine so I hope mine works like it should because otherwise it seems I will be talking to Dell Customer Service a lot and potentially returning it if it doesnt work  as advertised.

January 5th, 2009 11:00

make sure you didn't use windows update to update the X-Fi drivers. I did that & experienced the crashes & reboots. When I rolled back to the sshipped drivers the system was perfectly sstable again. it's the only problem I've had since getting my system on 12/21. I have the 280 1GB vid card, for reference & have already used the system to do many hours of AVCHD high def vid editing & rendering. Runs beautifully.

22 Posts

January 5th, 2009 12:00

well I have one with the ATI 4870X2 and  it crashes all the time. It crashed with the initial setup too. I don't even use the system audio card (i have an external one as I use it for professional audio recording). I've even gone as far as installing XP on it and it still crashes.  

38 Posts

January 5th, 2009 16:00

have you contacted support what is their response?

37 Posts

January 5th, 2009 17:00

Hey LoveReason, do you have the system with the i7-965 Extreme version processor, or one of the lower ones?   I hadn't heard of any of the random crash/errors happening in systems with the lower two processors.

Congrats jsimon on your shipping, mine is in the kitting/kiting (sp?) stage whatever that is, it's after build though.  I love that automated phone order status.

Kendra

2 Posts

January 5th, 2009 18:00

anyone know how to get to the c drive partition so i can delete it and reformat . thx

22 Posts

Yeah its quite annoying. I have the i7 920. so yes one of the lower ones. I've been with tech support for a while and now i'm waiting on a technician to come over and change some parts. I've had the system for over 2 weeks and nothing.  Crashes on XP and Vista 64. 

Config:

i7 920

6GB RAM

ATI 4870X2 

38 Posts

So how does the warranty work exactly?

1. did you get the extended warranty?

2. If something is wrong with the machine right away what is the policy on returning it? I dont want to deal with the headaches of customer service if they cant even ship a working machine.

37 Posts

January 6th, 2009 13:00

Yeah!  My system shipped already, it's supposed to be delivered on the day it was originally supposed to ship!

Sorry I got a bit excited.

Kendra

72 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

Yeah its quite annoying. I have the i7 920. so yes one of the lower ones. I've been with tech support for a while and now i'm waiting on a technician to come over and change some parts. I've had the system for over 2 weeks and nothing.  Crashes on XP and Vista 64. 

Config:

i7 920

6GB RAM

ATI 4870X2 

The only thing I can think of is the video card is overheating and causing the system to shut down.

I was attempting to play Crysis yesterday, and everything was fine until AFTER the game was loaded....then the monitor turned itself OFF and wouldn't turn back on until I did a hard REBOOT.  It did it over and over again.....loads the game, then the monitor shuts itself off.

Did a query on the problem with GOOGLE, and someone suggested maybe the video card overheated and to turn up the fans with the XPS Thermal Monitor and to turn up the fan in the ATI Overdrive Manual Fan Control....well I went extreme and turned up ALL the fans to MAX and the video card fan to 100%....then tried to see if the problem was solved and VWOLLA......PROBLEM SOLVED!

I also suffered 2 or 3 reboots after I attempted to overclock my i7 965 Extreme CPU from 3.46 to 3.73 GHz .... it lasted for a couple of hours then random reboots!    Went back to the stock 3.46GHz settings, and no more random rebooting problem!

Whenever i see someone with a random reboot problem now, and i see a top-of-the-line video card like the 4870x2 or the GTX 280...I would suspect an overheating problem with the video card...and maybe try turning the fans up on the video card and with the XPS Thermal Monitor.

i7 965 Extreme CPU O'C to 3.46GHz (air cooled)

ATI Radeon 4850

6GB DDR3 RAM

RAID 0 VelociRaptors

X-Fi Titanium Audio Card

15 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

Please refer to forum topic - XPS 730X loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19247444/19403473.aspx#19403473

Over there we are describing the nightmare of random shutdowns and our efforts to get Dell's attention to fix the problem. Last Friday I returned my 2nd XPS 730 X H2C 280 Nvidia 3.2 Extreme (OC'd to 3.7) to Dell for exactly the same problem of sudden shutdown. Many, many hours spent with tech support ... no current coordinated Dell help for the problem. Mr. Mixon seems to be just getting interested, but Dell continues to sell the systems despite clear forum descriptions of these random shutdowns. I remain ready to buy again when Dell can describe what the problem is and what measures they have taken to resolve the matter ... including some compensation for our hours of effort to correct their product flaws. Please join the discussion of shutdowns over there so Dell can consolidate the impact of this matter. No, you are not alone in experiencing this ramdom reboot problem. It gets progressively worse. The system still reboots even if you revert the overclocking to 0 and attempt to use 3.2 speed. Of course, we paid $ to purchase the H2C option and the OC'd 3.7 as advertised.

38 Posts

January 6th, 2009 18:00

this makes me wonder if if just happens to be that obviously those with problems post more or does this mean that a lot of the people that buy these experience problems. I mean it seems to be a problem that affects all configurations. I certainly hope mine works as expected and if not I will have a quick trigger to return it considering the money paid for it.

Good luck on yours Kendra

That sounds like such a bummer, I hope there's a resolution to this soon.  The overheating of the video card sounds logical, hope the upped fans help.

I have read that thread about the random crashes, and it seemed that they were just the Extreme Overclocked Processors that were having troubles, it bums me out that some of the lower processors are also.

Kendra

No Events found!