Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 20th, 2009 07:00

mark52479,

I do not see the 295 on the roadmap.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2009 21:00

Received my 730x last week and have two questions:

1) I noticed that the LED colors changed to the original theme upon resuming from sleep.  I have created my own theme using ALienFX editor and saved it in the default Alenware AlienFX -> Themes folder.  After resuming from sleep, the AlienFX editor reflects the correct colors but the LEDs were displaying a different set of colors.  Anyone else experiencing this problem?

2) I have Vista 64bit on this system and I notice that I need to click the left mouse button many times to select a link or to close a window.  XP doesn't seem to have this issue and I'm wondering if this is a Vista issue.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2009 06:00

Does anyone know who the manufacturer(s) are for the DIMMs in the 730X?  I have one being shipped today with 3GB (3 x 1GB modules) and would like to buy three (2 x 2GB) modules to up my RAM to 6GB.  There are several folks on ebay who are offering the 1066 speed 240 pin modules, but would like to replace with the same OEM/vendor if possible...I would then offer my three 1GB modules for sale to anyone who needed them of course...

213 Posts

January 21st, 2009 07:00

If you download cpu-z from www.cpuid.com and then look in the SPD tab (not the Memory one!) you will see all the details about each memory slot - the manufacturer, the part number, the serial number etc.

7 Posts

January 21st, 2009 10:00

Bit the bullet and ordered a 730x H2C (965 OC, 300GB Velociraptor, HD 4870X2, Blu-Ray burner) last night (couldn't pass up the $750 off). Estimated ship is 1/28, so lead time appears to be down to one week if you avoid the "may delay" components. Will report back when it arrives.

3 Posts

January 21st, 2009 14:00

thanks Bernard46; I'll have a look at the site...

15 Posts

January 21st, 2009 14:00

Wiggo ... You must not have read this forum re-random shutdown for this same 730x h2c unit ... and the lack of Dell comment in the recurring problem. Remember you have only a 21 day grace period to return the system. You'll probably use it.

7 Posts

January 21st, 2009 15:00

I read it, and cancelled my first order. And if necessary I'll return it. But I've been doing this a long time, and these high-end systems tend to be idiosyncratic, so I'll wait and see if it's even an issue (there aren't that many people reporting the problem) with the one I get (kinda like hoping to lose the lottery). My current rig won't boot with a USB printer turned on, and we never did figure that one out (changed printers, changed ports, etc.). But there's an easy workaround for that. Random reboots is a killer, I'm just hoping I dodge the bullet (two different bullet metaphors in two posts).

54 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

I have noticed on Chris's profile that his XPS 730x has the 1.0.1 Bios - does anyone know when the Bios update is suppose to be released as all that is on my Drivers and Downloads is the original 1.0 version.

22 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

Don't know but I got my motherboard changed after the Random rebooting issue that I had and it had the newer 1.0.1 version as well so I can attest to that. I also no longer had any issues with random rebooting.

January 22nd, 2009 09:00

Anyone happen to compare boot times between 1.0.0 and 1.0.1?  1.0.0 takes *** forever.

On a related note... I didn't notice any way to disable the stupid OEM bios screen.  Is there any way to get a "verbose" POST instead of the silent one?  I really hate OEM boots and was really happy that Alienware (that was my last comp... from before they were affiliated with DELL) allowed ditching their logo for something that was actually worth looking at.

72 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 09:00

My first BIG complaint with my i7 965 XPS 730x.

It's the eSATA connection.   The connection is an eSATA 1 connection, not a eSATA 2 connection.   Virtually all of the eSATA external hard drives that are available are eSATA 2.   Virtally all of the eSATA cables that are available are eSATA 2. 

The problem is that the eSATA 2 cable ends will not fit in an eSATA 1 connection.   The black tabs on the side of the connecting ends are too long, and the connection will not go all the way in.    Unlike the shorter tabs of the eSATA 1 connecting ends that will fit perfectly in this system I have.

WHY DID DELL DECIDE TO USE THE OLD eSATA 1 INSTEAD OF THE NEW eSATA 2 CONNECTION WHEN VIRTUALLY ALL OF THE EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ARE eSATA2?

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

The problem is that the eSATA 2 cable ends will not fit in an eSATA 1 connection.   The black tabs on the side of the connecting ends are too long, and the connection will not go all the way in.    Unlike the shorter tabs of the eSATA 1 connecting ends that will fit perfectly in this system I have.

From what I know of eSATA, asides from the slower transfer speed, the electrical connection is the same. . . so just bust out a dremel tool and you should be in business.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 11:00

Concerning the reboot issue, we have had success with a captured CPU by changing the Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset from 120mv to 140mv.

30 Posts

January 22nd, 2009 13:00

XPS 730X Thermal Issues

My XPS CPU pump and front CPU fan quickly increase to 4000 rpm when the CPU is under load and it's very loud.

Find my You Tube video of my XPS 730X here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XkzTvPFFr8

I have a I7-940 2.93GHz

Dell CPU Liquid/TEC Cooling ATX Unit (only CPU liquid cooled)

Nvidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB

Vista 64-bit Ultimate

I find that when I access the XPS Thermal Monitor I can ONLY adjust the Rear CPU Fan, PCI Cage Fan, HDD Fan. The Front CPU Fan and CPU pump are dimmed (I can't adjust them).

Any suggestions?

Are there other versions of the the Thermal Monitor? Or maybe the liquid cooling system was not appropriately fixed to the CPU?

I became especially interested in the XPS Thermal Monitor when my computer became loud running a game called Left4Dead. I've only had the computer a few days, but all other applications including Fallout3 do NOT lead to loud conditions. In a matter of a few seconds when running Left4Dead (in the game only, not the menus or splash screens) the CPU pump increases from about 1300rpm to 4000rpm and the Front CPU fan increases from about 1000rpm to 4000rpm. The ESA board increases in temp from about 75F to 81F. The ambient temp is a stable 72F. When I tab out of the game to the desktop the rpm of the CPU pump and Front CPU fan decreases within several seconds back to baseline. I have found this to be true for the video drivers GeForce WinVista64bit 181.20 versions 7.15.11.7743 and 7.15.118120.

I imagine if I could place an upper limit on the Front CPU fan I would find the noise while playing this game acceptable. Any advice on why I can only adjust three parameters in the XPS Thermal Monitor? I have created a new profile and unchecked the automatic fan control.

4000rpm for this front fan sounds like it's running at 100% and it is very loud.

According to Speedfan the CPU cores idle at about 38C and peak at about 74C. This seems about right to me. CoreTemp and RealTemp suggest the cores are idling at about 50-55C and peaking at about 85-93C. I'd need a temperature gun to be sure, but I assume these are reading high. I've read some about some I7 temp measurement problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David

No Events found!