Highlighted
mastin
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

XPS 730X Thermal Issues

My XPS CPU pump and front CPU fan quickly increase to 4000 rpm when the CPU is under load and it's very loud.

Find my You Tube video of my XPS 730X here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XkzTvPFFr8

I have a I7-940 2.93GHz

Dell CPU Liquid/TEC Cooling ATX Unit (only CPU liquid cooled)

Nvidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB

Vista 64-bit Ultimate

I find that when I access the XPS Thermal Monitor I can ONLY adjust the Rear CPU Fan, PCI Cage Fan, HDD Fan. The Front CPU Fan and CPU pump are dimmed (I can't adjust them).

Any suggestions?

Are there other versions of the the Thermal Monitor? Or maybe the liquid cooling system was not appropriately fixed to the CPU?

I became especially interested in the XPS Thermal Monitor when my computer became loud running a game called Left4Dead. I've only had the computer a few days, but all other applications including Fallout3 do NOT lead to loud conditions. In a matter of a few seconds when running Left4Dead (in the game only, not the menus or splash screens) the CPU pump increases from about 1300rpm to 4000rpm and the Front CPU fan increases from about 1000rpm to 4000rpm. The ESA board increases in temp from about 75F to 81F. The ambient temp is a stable 72F. When I tab out of the game to the desktop the rpm of the CPU pump and Front CPU fan decreases within several seconds back to baseline. I have found this to be true for the video drivers GeForce WinVista64bit 181.20 versions 7.15.11.7743 and 7.15.118120.

I imagine if I could place an upper limit on the Front CPU fan I would find the noise while playing this game acceptable. Any advice on why I can only adjust three parameters in the XPS Thermal Monitor? I have created a new profile and unchecked the automatic fan control.

4000rpm for this front fan sounds like it's running at 100% and it is very loud.

According to Speedfan the CPU cores idle at about 38C and peak at about 74C. This seems about right to me. CoreTemp and RealTemp suggest the cores are idling at about 50-55C and peaking at about 85-93C. I'd need a temperature gun to be sure, but I assume these are reading high. I've read some about some I7 temp measurement problems.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, David

Tags (2)
mentor00
2 Iron

I'm considering an xps 730x and was wondering if there is any advantage other than looks to the cut out side panel?  I'm also wondering if the cooling system used on the over clocked systems can be added to a regular 730x at a later time?  Thanks.

It worked fine before I fixed it![:$]

mastin,

Please go into the bios and record your settings. Then, reset it to Factory Defaults and compare the original settings with the new Factory Default settings. Make sure the hard disk drive settings and Integrated device settings are back to the original to ensure you can reboot normally. Any other differences? Check Left4Dead using the Factory Default settings.
mastin
1 Nickel

Unfortunately resetting bios to default didn't change any setting. That was a very practical suggestion though! Thank you Chris!

I'm thinking that either:

a) The liquid cooling and fan are somewhat under engineered for the I7 940 CPU. If this is the case, others must be seeing their CPU pump and front CPU fan increase to 4000rpms when under load.

b) The XPS Thermal Monitor and/or bios need to be tweaked for this new chip (the mother board bios is 1.0.0.). As above, if this is the case, others would be seeing the same pump and fan increases I am.

c) I have a bad thermal sensor. In this case others would not be experiencing the same phenomena.

d) I have a bad CPU, cooling installation, or cooling system. In this case others would not be experiencing the same phenomena.

Any other ideas? If I could just find one user out there with a similar system it would help so much to know if I am alone!

Thanks!

marcopodrini
1 Copper

I Chris M, I'm Marco Podrini an Italian user, i bought an xps 730x i7965 H2C, and i'have the same problem, thech support is not able to help me, and my pc reboot randomly, indipendent of cpu usage, so i try to change v core overvoltage from 120 to 140 but the problem incresh, with 120 the pc reboot 2 time a day, with 140 reboot 10time a day! My personal opinion is that the problem in link to the thermal monotor application!! PLESE HELP DELL CUSTOMER. sorry for my english! Thanks in advanced Marco Podrini ITALY
marcopodrini
1 Copper

I tried to disable the "Thermal monitor application" and the system seems to be stable also with 120mv Vcore. I think that the problem of the "random reboot" could be inside this application. It is possible that the thermal monitor was implemented for Old 730 and is not so compatible with the 730X model? I suggest DELL engineers to try to disable this application and test the PC, because i think that the problem is not in the use of the cpu. I made 40 hours of rendering in maxwell render with the cpu at 100% and no Reboot.

mastin
1 Nickel

Hi Marcopodrini, it's great to hear that disabling the thermal monitor application may have stabilized your system!
My system does not experience the random reboot phenomena, so I'm happy about that.

Does your front CPU fan and CPU pump increase to 4100rpm when the CPU is under load?

Even when I disable the thermal monitor application my system does increase the front CPU fan and CPU pump to 4100rpm when under load and it's pretty loud.

I too hope an update to the thermal monitor application or motherboard bios may resolve problems, especially mine Smiley Happy.
Otherwise, I'll just have to learn to live with it.  Most folks that hear my system say things like "it must be broken", "you should call Dell", or "that would drive me batblank crazy".

marcopodrini
1 Copper

Hi mastin, i have no problem with system fan, even when i disable thermal monitor, the fun work fine, i test it on a 4 hour rendering with all cpu core at 100% and no loud, 

but if lunch thermal monitor for 10 minute open in desktop the system reboot, reboot, reboot (120mv or 140mv) 

mikebeatrice
1 Nickel

Does the thermal monitor have any control over the fan speed modulation?  Or is it just reporting back the current temps and speeds and allow you to manually override?

I'm just wondering if the fans are still dynamic when disabling the monitor.

My system arrived on Dec 22nd and has worked flawlessly.... until this week.  Now I'm getting the random reboots.  I do a lot of video editing, so this is obviously unacceptable, as I could be in the middle of working or capturing from DV, etc, and have it crash on me.... not good.  So I'm thinking I'll try disabling the thermal monitor, but I don't want things to start overheating while I'm loading up the proc doing all the video rendering.

Thanks!

mastin
1 Nickel

Hi Marcopodrini,
Thanks so much for your kind reply! You've given me hope.