Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

6 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 15:00

I have an issue I was hoping to see if anyone else had encountered...I've got a 730x with an i7-920, a single GTX 280 and air cooling.  I've had a problem getting Anti-Aliasing to work in any of my games - whether I set AA on in the game settings or the Nvidia Control Panel, it just won't turn on, and I get jaggies everywhere.  I'm using the latest WHQL Forceware drivers (181.20).  I've tried Half-Life 2, Crysis and Doom 3, and the AA won't activate in any of them.  Anyone else have this problem, or any insight into why it might be happening? 

38 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 15:00

I tried to disable the "Thermal monitor application" and the system seems to be stable also with 120mv Vcore. I think that the problem of the "random reboot" could be inside this application. It is possible that the thermal monitor was implemented for Old 730 and is not so compatible with the 730X model? I suggest DELL engineers to try to disable this application and test the PC, because i think that the problem is not in the use of the cpu. I made 40 hours of rendering in maxwell render with the cpu at 100% and no Reboot.

Though its conjecture, I have a feeling the thermal monitor is at least a partial cause of the random reboot issues. I mentioned back on 1-07 in this thread that the first thing I did on my 730x was to uninstall the XPS thermal monitor software. I have had NO reboot problems at all.  I have reinstalled the OS (not because of a problem - I just went to a different hard drive) and experienced zero issues. On the original install I removed the thermal monitor and on my reinstall I simply left the thermal monitor software off.

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

Sorry to hear about your problem Ryn. I'm no expert, but have you tried to roll back your video drivers? Did you experience this with the previous video drivers? Good luck!

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

I'd be really interested if someone would run Prime95 and let me know if thier front CPU fan spins up to 4000-4100rpms. It seems a couple of folks with i7-965 CPUs are not experiencing this phenomena. Could someone let me know? Could it be that the i7-940 runs hotter than the i7-965? I have a i7-940 with liquid cooling and the front fan spins up to max when the CPU is under load. It's kinda loud.

54 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 19:00

Chris - When will there be a Bios update for the 730X??

30 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 21:00

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi Folks,

My problem is solved.

My i7-940 was running hot (i.e. 90-105C) under load.

After hours problem solving with Dell I posted my temps to five different computer enthusiast forms and the consensus was my waterblock/heatsink has to be loose or my pump is not working. First thing I thought when opening up to inspect my system was the that the shroud over the CPU pump that is attached to the waterblock seems like a very bad design and was loose. Well, after reading thirty or forty posts about how there is no way my i7-940 temps should be so high, I tightened the screws on the waterblock. My temps dropped about 20C-40C depending on load. Problem solved. Turns out the system is designed just fine if installed correctly. I'm a bit stumped that the Dell folks didn't seemed surprised my CPU was running at close to failure temperatures. To reiterate, my i7-940 CPU under load now runs at 60C instead of 90-105C. Thanks to everyone who listened and helped!

149 Posts

January 24th, 2009 09:00

Glad to hear your'e fixed Mastin.  It pays to be persistent.  I'm curious on how you got the 940 with the cooling system? I see the option on the Canadian site but not the US, unless I just missed it.  Did you order by phone or online? Thanks.

January 24th, 2009 14:00

My 730x has been put into production, and I've been given an initial estimated delivery date of February 9'th, which is a Monday, a little over two weeks from now (today being January 24'th). 

I'm single, so I have to book time off from work to accept the delivery. How reliable is that initial delivery date? Any chance that the delivery date will be earlier than that? 

I was kind of hoping for a week and a half, rather than a little over two weeks.

What was your experience like? - was Dell's initial delivery date spot on, or did they estimate early, to give themselves some slack?

2 Posts

January 24th, 2009 15:00

WabeWalker100,

Mine arrived slightly earlier than the posted date.  My 730x with 940 and 4850x2 took one week to build and a few days for delivery.  Once it was shipped, the estimated arrival date by FedEx was accurate.  If I were you. I'd wait until the system is shipped before I apply for any timeoff.  Make sure that you have signed up for the system-shipped email notification.

January 25th, 2009 15:00

Has anybody installed a GT 295 in their 730x yet? (If so, how well is it running?)

I've just bought a slightly gimped 730x system, which has only one 9800 GT card in it. I was really glad that Dell provided me with this option, because it kept the price down, and I plan on removing the GPU anyhow.

My plan is to replace the 9800 in a couple of months with the GT 295. Am I good to go on that? Are there any dongles that I need to purchase separately?

Thanks.

January 26th, 2009 11:00

I have a similar problem on a Precision T5400 running Vista 64-bit. I write device drivers, and the problem is less frequent if I only let my board do dma to/from the lower 4Gb of memory. Sometimes even the stack is damaged and cannot be read by the debugger. Did any of you out there have any similar experience ?

7 Posts

January 27th, 2009 14:00

Got an email from the customercare rep following my order (you get one of those when you cancel and reorder) which said my system is delayed because it is "backordered" (which raises the question how it got into the Build stage). I'm hoping it's because they're making changes to eliminate the random rebooting problem previously discussed.

January 27th, 2009 17:00

My XPS 730x went through pre-production very rapidly, and is now in the production phase - I assume this means that all the parts were in stock, and that Dell is building the system right now?

So how long, typically, is the production phase?

Apparently my 730x entered production on Monday, today being Tuesday.

72 Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

I think I may have solved my random rebooting problem:emotion-2:

In another thread (H2C thread) addressing this problem, a poster suggested DISABLING C-STATE Tech in the BIOS.

I followed his advice 5 days ago, and even dared to O'C the CPU to the 3.73GHz level again (was a miserable failure last time I tried it w/ C-STATE Tech enabled -- 2 random reboots within a couple of hours), and thus far.....NOT A SINGLE REBOOTING PROBLEM!

This baby has been STABLE at 3.73GHz (air-cooled) for 5 STRAIGHT DAYS!   CPU temps runs in the upper 40s/lower 50s celsius at IDLE with one of the 4 cores occasionally reaching the lower 60s.   Now when doing any CPU intensive stuff, you do need to ramp up the fans a little, maybe even MAX it out like I do occasionally, as CPU temps can get into the mid-60s celsius pretty easily at this level.

For anyone with a random rebooting problem, try disabling C-STATE Tech in the BIOS (F2 after the Dell BIOS Screen).   It has worked for me and a few posters over at the 'XPS 730x H2C random rebooting' thread.

7 Posts

January 29th, 2009 17:00

My H2C came today, and yes, with random reboots. Uninstalled XPS Thermal app (per the reboot thread) and replaced it with SpeedFan and it's been stable as a rock since.

Very impressive system. Great build quality; all the cables are in place for adding hard drives so it's just plug and play (added a 1TB today, will be adding an Intel SSD and another 1TB tomorrow). Theater lighting rocks.

Oh, and even CPU-Z shows it as 3.2gHz. But the 28 multiplier shows in the BIOS, so it is overclocked when in Turbo mode.

No Events found!