phi1316
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I just ordered my XPS 730x yesterday and since have read most posts on this thread.  Have most of the issues been worked out with the problems people were seeing here?  Seems the motherboard issues with the CState being turned off fixed some, but I assume no fix with a new Bios exists?

-phi1316

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Hello Phi1316. I doubt a bios update will be released anytime soon. However, as you've read and seen the issues with the memory not running the speed it's supposed to, I figured out how to clock it up to the right speeds without sacrificing stability. Did you purchase the Core i7 920 or was it the 965?

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
(4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
Western Digital MyBook 1TB
(2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
(2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
Logitech G35 headset
Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
phi1316
2 Bronze

I purchased the 965.  I haven't looked into new memory yet, but I assume the memory that it comes with is 1066 only, so I assumed I would have to purchase some more.

With that though, I assume you aren't seeing any issues other than the reboots that seem to have the workaround?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

I purchased the 965.  I haven't looked into new memory yet, but I assume the memory that it comes with is 1066 only, so I assumed I would have to purchase some more.

With that though, I assume you aren't seeing any issues other than the reboots that seem to have the workaround?

You are correct in your assumptions. Dell only installs DDR3-1066 ram in the XPS 730/730x machines. My Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 memory as been running at 1600mhz for 2 days now, with no problems or instability. If you're consider getting faster memory, I'd recommend Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600.

CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - $166 on Newegg.com

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
Gingerkid
1 Copper

Well Phenom, after just seeing that my multiplier is locked in my bios after disabling the turbo setting and every other voltage and CPU related adjustment, I really hope you are wrong. I have no way to overclock my RAM; either with your method or the standard way that doesn't seem to work as discussed over the past week. I'm kinda ticked now that I bought a system that seems to be completely limited to any tweaking or OCing. I happen to have the 940 proc, and the BIOS is not working with any technique listed in the forum, either by Chris, yourself, or Daniel730x. If Chris is still monitoring this forum, I would love to have an update regarding the BIOS update talked about in this forum months back now and if we can expect to see it anytime soon.

0 Kudos

Gingerkid,

I have not received any notices about a bios update.

0 Kudos
Gingerkid
1 Copper

Thanks for the quick reply Chris! Is the problem I am having due to the BIOS on the 940 system not supporting overclocking of the cpu and ram? Or is it an error that needs to be fixed? I appreciate any help.

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Well Phenom, after just seeing that my multiplier is locked in my bios after disabling the turbo setting and every other voltage and CPU related adjustment, I really hope you are wrong.

The multiplier on the 920 and 940 is locked, and can only go so high. This has nothing to do with Dell. The chips come from Intel with their own settings.

I have no way to overclock my RAM; either with your method or the standard way that doesn't seem to work as discussed over the past week.

Sure, you do. The method I have outlined in the previous posts works for both the 920 and the 965 processors. There's no way it can't work, or doesn't work, for the 940. You didn't change everything I instructed you to change, or you left something out.

I'm kinda ticked now that I bought a system that seems to be completely limited to any tweaking or OCing.

Your system is not limited to any tweaking or OC'ing. The XPS 730 and XPS 730x have an unlocked bios, allowing the consumer to change timings and voltages to suit their own needs.

Do me a favor, if you have a camera phone, take snapshots of the screens I've posted below. Then, upload them here - Imageshack Free Image Host.

If you don't have a camera phone, write down all of the settings you see in the following screens. Without these numbers/settings, I can't do anything for you.

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
Gingerkid
1 Copper

I have set the settings as listed above, what the problem is is that the Multiplier won't let me select it to change the number down to 16. Its at 22 from the turbo mode, and I have no way to change it therefore not allowing me to up the BClk due to being unstable. It isnt greyed out, but white as it should be but isn't selectable. I can post pictures later on tonight to show ya. Hence my inquiry to Chris. I think the inital RAM timings and voltage adjustment not working means that the BIOS is not set up on our systems to allow certain OCing, and maybe yours works the above way due to a glitch or just an open coding allowance that isn't on my machine.

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

I need to know how fast your CPU is running right now. Is it running at 2.93ghz? I also need to know what your BClk setting is.

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos