Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

650 Posts

April 12th, 2009 09:00

PH3N0M, I think only the 965 will allow you to change/adjust the memory ratio, the lower 920s & 940s have a 'set' memory ratio that cannot be changed.

The bios on the 730x and the 730 was left unlocked, allowing for any tweaking to be made by the consumer. Nothing has been "locked" in the bios for the XPS 730/730x.

By the way, I don't have 'XMP Support' in my BIOS.   I don't know how important is it, since I have my memory set to specs (1600 MHz).

What exactly did you adjust to achieve 1600mhz?

72 Posts

April 12th, 2009 14:00

[quote user="mmab63"]PH3N0M, I think only the 965 will allow you to change/adjust the memory ratio, the lower 920s & 940s have a 'set' memory ratio that cannot be changed.

The bios on the 730x and the 730 was left unlocked, allowing for any tweaking to be made by the consumer. Nothing has been "locked" in the bios for the XPS 730/730x.

By the way, I don't have 'XMP Support' in my BIOS.   I don't know how important is it, since I have my memory set to specs (1600 MHz).

[/quote]

Basically all I did was to change the 'QPI and Uncore Voltage' from Default to +120mv.

CPU BClk is at 133MHz......Memory Ratio is at 12....Turbo Multiplier is at 28 (3.73GHz)...Memory Voltage is at 1.65V....IOH Voltage is at 1.10V...and the Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset & QPI and Uncore Voltage is at +120mv.

But I have never seen 'XMP Support' option in my BIOS and I've been in there too many times too mention in the past few months.   I have the 965 Extreme air-cooled XPS 730x with BIOS version 1.0.0.    I bought my system on December 10th (4 months ago).

50 Posts

April 12th, 2009 15:00

[quote user="PH3N0M"]

[quote user="mmab63"]PH3N0M, I think only the 965 will allow you to change/adjust the memory ratio, the lower 920s & 940s have a 'set' memory ratio that cannot be changed.

[/quote]

Basically all I did was to change the 'QPI and Uncore Voltage' from Default to +120mv.

CPU BClk is at 133MHz......Memory Ratio is at 12....Turbo Multiplier is at 28 (3.73GHz)...Memory Voltage is at 1.65V....IOH Voltage is at 1.10V...and the Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset & QPI and Uncore Voltage is at +120mv.

But I have never seen 'XMP Support' option in my BIOS and I've been in there too many times too mention in the past few months.   I have the 965 Extreme air-cooled XPS 730x with BIOS version 1.0.0.    I bought my system on December 10th (4 months ago).

[/quote]

I,m beginning to think that that the XMP Support option not being there has something to do with us i7 965 extreme users. It would be nice to get some clarification from Chis and Dell on this matter.

XPS 730x H2C
i7 965 Extreme CPU overclocked to 4050 GHz
SLi, Dual nVidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB
Core clock-702MHz,shader clock-1404MHz,memory-1242MHz
6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM) running at 1118MHZ 7-7-7-20-C1
RAID 0 2x300GB(600GB) WD Velociraptor 10K 16MB Cache
Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader withBluetooth 2.0
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 64-bit Ultimate (English)
Dual Drives: 6x Blu-Ray Burner(BD/DVD/CD) + 16x DVD-ROM
X-Fi Titanium Audio Card
Dell CPU Liquid/TEC Cooling ATX Unit
1 Kilowatt power supply
Dell 2408WFP monitor

650 Posts

April 12th, 2009 16:00

The XMP Support could be something for those who don't have the 965, I hadn't given that any thought. As for adjusting my voltages, it does nothing. Unless I increase my BClk, increasing the voltage does nothing for my memory. I can't begin to tell you guys how angry this makes me. Just the fact that Dell releases a machine that seems to still be a beta, it makes me want to cave someone's face in. :emotion-12:

37 Posts

April 16th, 2009 08:00

Addressing the psychological issues of owning 'presently' a home super computer:  I think our problems are ego-eccentric; we who buy these very high-end computers are emotional and financially involved with them; consequently, many of us have jealous spouses.  When things do not work, we get emotional, screaming "I get you and your pet mouse too" raging mad.  After the intensity storm, most end up resorting to explaining their technical issues in detail, and solutions follow.  Dell needs to understand our psychology; some of us are emotionally wired into our computers; an artificial organ extending the confines of our minds.  We are more than just people, we are XPS 730x owners, and we want to be taken seriously.  We want more wires.

Mark Maloney

OH MY this is so true Mark,

Wow, when I've been going through my Firmware Failure, this past week, I've been screaming at nothing, and if someone has asked me how my day has been, I've been ranting about  my failed hard drive and how now I can't install my Microsoft Office suite because I've reached the license limitations, and how I email Dell everyday to ask for some sort of compensation, because they had to know this part had issues before they put it in my sweet innocent XPS 3 months ago.  People have been walking away slowly from me.

Thank you, your post gives me an excuse for my behavior, it's not my fault, it's the XPS 730X's fault.  But if I tell people this, they will probably look at me even more funnier than they are now.

Kendra

37 Posts

April 16th, 2009 08:00

Hi all,

My XPS 730X has been great!  This is an amazing machine, besides taking two people to lift it out of the box because of it's weight, it has taken everything I can give it.  Way to go Dell-on building it.  Like other owners have said, this thing takes off like a jet plane, and then gets so silent.  I can't wait for the BIOS revision though, it does take a bit to load up.

Last week though, I did run into the Seagate hard drive Firmware "Epic Failure", I'm still working with Dell to fix that little mess, besides that, I am totally happy with this system. 

Kendra

39 Posts

April 16th, 2009 20:00

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time that I have posted.  I have read with interest several different forums.  I'm not new to Dell or computers, I have had one since 1980 when you still used DOS.  This will be at least my six or seventh system from Dell, and the delay is the absolute worst that I have ever seen.  Below is the system that I have ordered, decided to treat myself!  I placed this order on the 18th of March and am still waiting.  The last message I got was that they were short five components, and now still waiting for three.  I can't get any information from my 'sales rep'.  That is a bit of a joke!  I see that some people have waited three weeks, but this is over four weeks now and it still shows "in production".  I wonder if anybody might know what is so unique about my system that it is taking so long.  By all accounts these 'sound' like they are the best to be had, so I am anxious to get going on it.  Any thoughts or suggestions.

Eagle Hill

XPS 730X, XE i7-965 (O/C'd 3.73GHz, 8MB)

6GB DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)

600GB RAID 1+0 (4X300GB SATA-II,10K RPM)

DUAL NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX280 1024MB

6X BLU-RAY BURNER (BD/DVD/CD)

MEDIA CARD RDR W/INT BLUETOOTH

1 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY

VISTA PREMIUM STICKER,DIM

WIN VISTA SP1 HOME PREM,64,ENG,X730

Dell 24 inch S2409W Consumer

April 16th, 2009 21:00

I forgot to mention my system specs:

XPS 730x with H2C cooler

Intel Core i7 940 2.93GHz, Intel X58 chipset

6 GB RAM DDR3 1066

Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT SLI

Seagate 750GB HDD

SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium

April 16th, 2009 21:00

I submitted this post elsewhere but I wanted to be sure people saw it.  I have an XPS 730x with the H2C cooler, and it works great.  My only concern is, how well will this work if I was to replace the motherboard?  The only problem is with the chipset cooling portion of the H2C since motherboards have different chipset cooling solutions.  My question is, is there a way to safely remove the chipset cooling block from the H2C, in order to use it with an aftermarket motherboard?  I am nowhere near that point yet; I'm just looking ahead and wondering what my options are.  If it is strongly recommended not to do that, would there be a way to obtain the lower front fan shroud that comes with the air-cooled system?  If I absolutely could not use the H2C with an aftermarket motherboard, I'd have to go with air cooling (not a bad thing, but I'd miss my H2C) and a CPU cooler is not hard to find, but I would want to have the shroud to cover the lower front fan since the H2C would be removed; also I have the X-panel window and it wouldn't look right without the shroud.  Thanks

650 Posts

April 17th, 2009 09:00

My question is, is there a way to safely remove the chipset cooling block from the H2C, in order to use it with an aftermarket motherboard?

Are you asking if it's possible to use the H2C unit with an aftermarket cpu water block? If that's your question, yes, you can use an aftermarket waterblock. I'd recommend using an Apogee block. In fact, you'd probably notice lower temps if you'd go ahead and change out your current water block for the Apogee. I've considered purchasing an H2C unit for my own setup and the Apogee block is what I'll be using.

Link - Swiftech Apogee GTZ Extreme Duty Waterblock

650 Posts

April 17th, 2009 09:00

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time that I have posted.  I have read with interest several different forums.  I'm not new to Dell or computers, I have had one since 1980 when you still used DOS.  This will be at least my six or seventh system from Dell, and the delay is the absolute worst that I have ever seen.  Below is the system that I have ordered, decided to treat myself!  I placed this order on the 18th of March and am still waiting.  The last message I got was that they were short five components, and now still waiting for three.  I can't get any information from my 'sales rep'.  That is a bit of a joke!  I see that some people have waited three weeks, but this is over four weeks now and it still shows "in production".  I wonder if anybody might know what is so unique about my system that it is taking so long.  By all accounts these 'sound' like they are the best to be had, so I am anxious to get going on it.  Any thoughts or suggestions.

Eagle Hill

1 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY

Actually, I'm rather curious as to how much you paid for that setup.

39 Posts

April 17th, 2009 14:00

Would you believe $6,228.00 CAD.  You'd think that they would want to get this order out, before I change my mind and cancel the order!

Eagle Hill

1 KILOWATT POWER SUPPLY

650 Posts

April 17th, 2009 14:00

That's ridiculous considering I paid less than $2500 for the rig in my signature. I bought the basic build for $1200 and purchased my video cards, memory, and hard drives from other sources. The Dell marketing/sales department needs a serious reality check!!!

30 Posts

April 17th, 2009 19:00

Eagle Hill,

I do not think that it is ridiculous, I paid more than five-thousand for my XPS 730x, extra's, and software; and that was with a 20% discount coupon.  I have doubled checked everything through other companies, but the Dell deal was the best.  I actually spent two weeks researching other systems before being convinced that Dell was the best overall system.  However, PH3N0M is a computer tech-mind sort, and could probably put together a cheaper better system.  Many of us do not have the experience to assemble such a high-end computer systems.  We pay for pre-assembled systems.

Eagle Hill, looks like you got a super system; you may have operation problems before getting your system up and running, hang in there, it is very much worth it in the end.  The XPS 730x's are wonderful computers.  I would like to suggest that you consider a second monitor, I have two now, and I cannot imagine working with just one ever again.  Two monitors makes an outstanding processing center.  As well, additional external storage memory is a good investment in your important files.  If you have problems when you get your system, talk to Daniel730x, PH3N0M, or garyehr, they are wizards and can talk you through most issues.  Dell tech has behavior issues that make most of us very upset; in my opinion, only use them as a last resort, or get ready for hours of hold time being transferred over and over again.  I lost some hair, but it is growing back now.  And, I LOVE MY COMPUTER now that it works; the world is right as rain again.

Kaloesche, needed two people to get his/her computer out of the box, after all, they are about 80 pounds.  Build up your straight before your system arrives, you will need it; twenty inch biceps is helpful... :)

My system:

Dell XPS 730x 940 i7; air cooled

6GB try channel ram

2GB ATI Radeon 4850 video ram

500GB SATA-II

Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium

16x CD/DVD burner

Multimedia TV tuner

2 - 24" S2409W flat panel monitors

2TB USB My book mirror edition dual-drive exterior hard drive

250GB My Passport Essentials portable hard drive

Quickcam orbit AF-rotating webcam

Saitek lighted keyboard (gaming)

Razer copperhead lighted mouse (gaming)

Dell Photo 966 printer

Vista 64-bit home addition

2 year warranty

And about $1000 in software; and $300 in additional lesser components.

I am very happy with the price I paid.  Dell all-and-all has the best prices; I did a considerable amount of research before buying a Dell.

My last Dell "deck-out" only cost about $3000 four years ago: XPS 410; 2GB ram; 1GB video ram; 20" flat panel monitor; etc...  It is my backup computer.

Enjoy your soon to arrive system

Mark Maloney

39 Posts

April 18th, 2009 07:00

Hey Mark and PH3NOM,

Thanks for the feedback, trust me I know that is a  lot of money and I did consider doing what PH3NOM did, but in the past I haven't found a great outlet in Canada for parts that doesn't want a premium dollar.  Again this is far from my first system.  One should also note the four (4) 300 Gb VelociRaptors are in this system in a Raid 0 + 1 system.  I have only read about Raid and not used it before, so I thought that I would give it a whirl, but let the 'experts' set it up.  At any rate enough about the cost. 

I go back to the question of the crazy delay!  Why?  It has now been a full month and it doesn't look promising for a delivery on the 23rd of April, as last stasted.  That would be five weeks.  What I have noticed is that they have quit offering this unit in the "blue anodized" color.  Something has also happened with the Video Cards.  They appear to now only be offering the single Nvidia GeForce GTX280, if you want a SLI they are now using the GTX285.  It seems to vary from the Canadian and U.S.A. sites.  I can't see any other differences.  Does anybody have any idea??  If Chris M from Dell is monitoring this, I wouldn't mind some honest feedback on this delay.  My 'sales rep' has not been at all helpful in this regard.  I just can't see Dell going short of some of these components for four or five weeks.  Honestly how could they stay in business if this happened regularly?

Please Dell, give me some feedback other than it will be delayed further.

Eagle Hill

No Events found!