Daniel730x
2 Bronze

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Hey guys i havent been on in some time. However i would like to just throw this out there. It says in the xps 730x manual that the system supports 12gb of memory. This may be a miss print in my manual or true. Perhaps chris could verify this. there is this part number for a 4gb module  A2507437

730x

i7-920 (OC'd 4.2GHZ  6.4+QPI)

Dual GTX 280 SLI

6GB Triple Channel

2tb HDD

Silver Chassis

0 Kudos
lmele
2 Iron

I installed XPS 730x 1.0.2 BIOS from 1.0.1 and now when  the computer is in standby-sleepmode and I resume into windows I get a BSOD? Blue Screen indicates Hardware Error with stop code 0x00000124.

I had to reinstall Bios 1.0.0 (Bios version 1.0.1 not available for download....How come?)  and the issue went away....any ideas?

Area 51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8.1 x64 Pro/BIOS A11
           Intel Core i7-975x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz
              12GB Mushkin Enhanced Redline 1600 DDR3
                       Asus Rog Matrix-HD7970 Platinum

0 Kudos
LANCORP
3 Argentium

I installed XPS 730x 1.0.2 BIOS from 1.0.1 and now when  the computer is in standby-sleepmode and I resume into windows I get a BSOD? Blue Screen indicates Hardware Error with stop code 0x00000124.

I had to reinstall Bios 1.0.0 (Bios version 1.0.1 not available for download....How come?)  and the issue went away....any ideas?

Resume from sleep problem is supposedly a known issue with X58 based system boards (any Core i7) that are overclocked by increasing the BCLK above 133.

Is your system overclocked via an increased BCLK?  You're saying that 1.0.1 (and 1.0.0), you didn't have that problem?

My own system is completely unresponsive when woken from sleep (black screen, fans on high).  I have to force a power off.

0 Kudos
lmele
2 Iron

No the BLCK is set stock 133.

I have a 730x H2C i7 965 Extreme system, the overclockling is at the recommended settings as posted by Chris. Except the Intel Turbo Multiplier, I set it to 29 instead of 28 for the four cores,  to get a little more overclocking out of the processor.

0 Kudos
LANCORP
3 Argentium

Well, as it happens, the Dell tech came today to replace the MB and fans in one of my 730x systems that I complained earlier about the front fan running full speed all the time.  

Unfortunately, replacing the MB and fans did not solve the issue.  (Isn't that odd?)

BUT, the system board he put in has 1.0.1 BIOS, and I clocked up BCLK to 160 and fired up my Vista x64 and put it to sleep.  Guess what?  I woke up properly!

Is there something wrong with 1.0.2, then?  I'd love to revert to 1.0.1 to get sleep back.  My electricity bill cannot withstand 7/24 running of this beast and i'm too old to keep waiting for this thing to boot up (yet another problem for Dell to solve--faster POST).

How can we get 1.0.1??

0 Kudos
lmele
2 Iron

I think there is way you can make a back up of that 1.0.1 bios. I'm just not sure right now of the software thats needed to do that.

Still why is that version not available on the dell website? Maybe chris can answer that if he happens to see this post.

0 Kudos

Daniel730x,
That would be a misprint. Is this in your printed manual? A2507437 is the 4GB stick for the Studio XPS 435.

All,
They are working on 1.0.3. I do not see 1.0.1 coming back.

0 Kudos
hbk123
3 Argentium

My manual as well as the online manual say up to 12GB RAM is supported.

Alienware Area 51 ALX

i7 970

GTX 580

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Ray Gralak
1 Copper

Hi Ray, the connector (fan header) next to the memory slots (near the bottom of the motherboard, to the right of the memory) is for the CPU fan cable coming from the Master Control Board. It is not a jumper pin set.

There are two black cables running along the bottom of the case right near where the motherboard edge is. One cable goes to the back of the case and is for the back (lower) LED strip. The other goes to the MB header you mention.  The cable you are looking for should be looped around a black cable-stay on the case bottom (and that cable is apparently not connected to anything right now). That cable is a bit longer than it needs to be - which is why it is looped to hold the extra length.

If you cannot see the end of that cable then it is probably trapped under the motherboard. It likes to fall under there when replacing the board. If it is under the board it is best to remove the board again so as not to pull the end of the cable off trying to get it out.

If your new motherboard was set-up for air-cooled then it would have had a fan over the Southbridge, and the tech removed (and unplugged) that fan. There is nothing to plug back into that fan header when using the H2C - but that header is up just to the right of the Southbridge. There is a second fan header used for air-cooling (that would have been used for the fan inside the air-cool heatsink shroud). It is on the LED strip on the back of the case (near the IO shield) that does not get used when using the H2C either.

However, the white header you mention - near the motherboard bottom and to the right of the memory slots - which looks exactly like the two other open fan headers just mentioned - MUST be connected whether using the air-cooled or H2C solution.

The strange thing is that you mention the BIOS message goes by very quickly. It should be stopping and asking you to hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup. Also all fans should be running on high and all lights should be on default if that cable is not connected. Must be that was changed in this BIOS upgrade. The message should be "Alert! CPU fan missing or cable not connected. Hit F1 to continue or F2 to enter Setup."

Anyway unless the connector you need is caught under the MB you should see it by just looking along the bottom edge of the MB. It's a three strand black wire with a white connector on the end. The connector has two guide slots that match with a plastic tab sticking up on the header so you can’t put the cable on wrong.

Bob

Bob, I just wanted to let you know that connector *was* underneath the MB as you suggested. The tech (same tech that didn't reconnect it the first time) found it and connected it.  The message no longer shows as boot. Thanks!

But then I had a new problem... later, when I had a chance to use the system for a longer time the system FAN would slowly rise in speed until reaching full speed then slow down then repeat again. Fortunately I had a CPU temp application on the system and it showed that the CPU was getting rather hot (60-70C) at idle. I shut it down immediately and checked the screws on the H2C unit. The tech had not tightened two of them (it took three-four complete turns of the screw to hand tighten them). Afterwards the CPU core temps were stable (in the 35C range) and the fan no longer cycled in speed. Whew...

-Ray

0 Kudos
Ray Gralak
1 Copper

Well, as it happens, the Dell tech came today to replace the MB and fans in one of my 730x systems that I complained earlier about the front fan running full speed all the time.  

LANCORP, have you checked your CPU core temps with a utility like coretemp? I recently had a problem with my fan speed varying and it turned out that the H2C unit was not properly seated on the CPU, which caused it to heat up. Also, if you are overclocking the CPU temp may get rather high and cause the fans to speed up.

-Ray

0 Kudos