Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2008 08:00

XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Use this linked thread in the Desktop FAQ to discuss XPS 730x hardware and performance tweaks and issues.

650 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 03:00

Would I be able to install 32bit (OEM from previous dell xps 420) without issues on this system since originally 64bit is installed.

No.  The product key is embedded in the BIOS.  Therefore, you need to request an x86 OS disc from Dell for the 730x.  They will send it to you at no extra charge.

A lot of my programs dont work on 64bit (also less support out there)

Really?  Less support?  I'm curious to hear why you say there's less support.  I've been running Vista x64 since January and now Windows 7 Ultimate x64 without any compatibility issues whatsoever.  What program(s) are you referring to?  I've not had a single compatibility issue.

Also how much memory would I be able to use?

If you're running a 32-bit OS, your PC can't address more than 4GB of RAM at any given time, that includes video memory as well.

It also makes me laugh that people are overclocking this cpu.  At this point in time, I really dont see the need.  When the programs get more intense then it makes sense to do it.  Why shorten the life of this critical component?

You obviously know very little about overclocking.  The life of the CPU is only shortened when there's a lack of cooling because heat begins to break it down.  I will be the first to agree that the Core i7 doesn't need to be overclocked because it's plenty fast for anything a person might want to do.  However, there are those who choose to push their system to the limit and squeeze as much speed from each component as possible instead of buying the Core i7 965 or 975.  As long as they have adequate cooling, everything is safe.  For example, I have mine running at 3.67ghz and the temps range from 40c-55c on air cooling. That is the same temperature range as when I don't have it overclocked.

106 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 10:00

First of all, Phenom I really appreciate your detailed answers. 

Hmm...I didnt order Vista Ultimate lol because I thought my previous OEM would work.  I have 2 OEM of vista, one is 32-bit from xps 420 and the other is 64-bit from 435MT.  So what you are suggesting that neither would work with the 730x?  If I order the x86 from Dell, they are gonna send me the Home Premium 32bit right?  Is there any possible way that you can think of installing Ultimate from previous OEM?  If not, would you suggest installing Windows 7 RC1 on the primary machine because it'll expire Auguest of next year even though its RC1, what I mean is that is it stable enough?  One more thing lol, when u go to computer properties, it gives you options for changing product key, could I change the product key there because I noted down the actual serial of the xps 420 vista?  Sorry about so many questions but answers dont have to be long.

Now, to support in vista 64bit.  I have HP LaserJet 2840 and there is no software for 64bit which allows scanning, faxing, etc.  I'm mainly concerned with scanning when it comes to software.  They do have a driver that allows for printing only in which you cant even control the color scheme which is ridiculous.  So, I had to install a virtual machine with Windows 7 lol and everytime I have to print or scan I have to start the virtual machine, then transfer the files, and then print which is ridiculous.  The 2nd is iTunes, everytime I launch it gives me an error msg which is common with 64 bit.  Also, I couldnt install a couple of other programs that I cant remember right now.  on the bright side, since it can use all the memory, the search feature in the "start" is fast compared to 32bit.  The overall system is more responsive as well.

Now, about overclocking.  You are probably right that people like to overclock to get the most out of the cpu.  I was probably wrong about decreasing its life but many people dont know about adequate cooling and just get right to overclocking.  I also meant that there is no need to overclock THIS particular cpu at this point in time.  As time passes, the applications are going to be more intense and that is when one should overclock when this cpu wont be able to handle those applications.  But, I also see your point of view about overclocking.  btw, 3.67ghz is insane and congrats on having those low temps.  

Overall, I really appreciate your detailed answers to my "too many" questions.  Thanks once again.  :emotion-2:

650 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 11:00

I have 2 OEM of vista, one is 32-bit from xps 420 and the other is 64-bit from 435MT.  So what you are suggesting that neither would work with the 730x?

If you have a Vista OEM disc that hasn't been installed on any other machine, it will work just fine.  However, if I were you I'd call Dell and request them send you the original OS - Vista Home Premium x86 (32-bit) since you're entitled to it.  If they HAVE been installed on another machine, it won't work.  Your best bet is to request a Vista Home Premium x86 disc or install Windows 7.

I have HP LaserJet 2840 and there is no software for 64bit which allows scanning, faxing, etc.

I Google'd your LaserJet and found where someone was having the exact same issue as yourself and this is what I found -

HP color laserjet 2840 vista 64 bit driver

Just to let people know, I got printing working on the "hp color
laserjet
2840" by installing the "HP Universal Print Driver for
Windows x64 - PostScript" driver.

The univeral HP driver for the 2800 series can be found here - Driver - Universal Print Driver - Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

The 2nd is iTunes, everytime I launch it gives me an error msg which is common with 64 bit.

This is what I found on the Apple website. 

Windows Vista

iTunes 7.6 or later is supported with any 64-bit edition of Windows Vista. If you are using 7.5 or earlier, some features may or may not work correctly.

Have you tried running iTunes using the compatibility mode?  Right click on the iTunes.exe and select Properties > Compatibility > and select whatever compatibility mode you'd like.  I'd try Windows Vista first, then try it with service pack 1, and so on.

650 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 13:00

How's windows 7 working out for you and I'm assuming that its on your primary computer since there is no mention of another OS in your signature?

I did a clean install from the Dell supplied Vista x64 to Windows 7 Ultimate x64.  I've not had any issues with compatibility from any program I use.  I installed it on Friday 06/19/2009 and I'm happy with the performance and reliability.  It boots and shuts down faster than Vista and XP.

What I really wanna know is that would you support the idea of windows 7 on the primary computer?

This is my primary PC, my only PC.  It's an upgrade from Vista and XP in that it's faster than both.  I really like the way it looks and performs and I'm sure you will, too.  One of the things I found in Windows 7 that I really like is the ability to make a disc image of your drives.  You can make an image of your OS and store it on an external.  In the event your OS becomes corrupt, just burn the image to disk and reinstall everything exactly the way it was.

I was also curious about the point system in these forums, do you get anything lol?

You get a certain amount of points for each post you make and more when you create a new thread/topic.  Do you get anything? No.  The points are merely a sign of how credible the individual is and whether they know what they're talking about, or not.  You can usually judge if someone knows what they're talking about by looking at their points.  Notice I said usually.

650 Posts

One more question though, can you install all the programs on windows 7 as you can with vista such as chrome which hasnt released a client for windows 7 and so on.

Actually, I reinstalled Google Chrome last night and it runs just fine.  Everything that ran on XP and on Vista will run just fine on Windows 7.  Well, except for the Dell Support Center application.  It will run but it can't detect drivers automatically;meaning, you would have to go to the Dell Downloads & Support page and enter your PC serial code manually to find the drivers.  Then, just download the Vista x64 drivers.

106 Posts

Haha, I gotcha.  Just had a chat with the dell customer lady and she is sending me a new 32 bit cd for my 435MT since 730x isnt here yet.  I might actually go with Windows 7 RC.  One more question though, can you install all the programs on windows 7 as you can with vista such as chrome which hasnt released a client for windows 7 and so on.

I'm pretty sure that this was my last question.  I really appreciate all the support from you bro.  Thanks.  :emotion-2:

106 Posts

I'll rather go windows 7 ultimate instead of the vista home premium.  How's windows 7 working out for you and I'm assuming that its on your primary computer since there is no mention of another OS in your signature?  I had windows 7 before but uninstalled it due to dual boot; i wasnt having any issues but I realized that I wont be able to utilize it since all my files are on vista and dual boot is a hassle.  But this time its gonna be the only one, I'm just waiting for input from you.

You also dug up the driver for my HP printer.  I have the driver for vista 64 and it only allows me to print.  However, HP hasnt put out the software to scan and fax, etc. for vista 64.  They have released the SOFTWARE for 32bit however which lets me use all the functions and is more advanced.  

The compatibility mode in iTunes didnt make a difference, instead it changed the aero scheme to the lower version.  It still gives me the same error message + a warning that I've set the compatibility mode to an older windows..blah...blah.  I forgot to mention before that iTunes DOES work after I say "OK" to the error message regarding some itunes install issues.

What I really wanna know is that would you support the idea of windows 7 on the primary computer?  Thanks for all the input.  I really appreciate it.

I was also curious about the point system in these forums, do you get anything lol?  :emotion-2:

P.S.  Chris has got to make a link to get this far for other ppl.  Not for me, since I already posted in these recent pages and I can access easily now.

13 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 16:00

Here's an update - I reseated the memory and now IntelBurn ran reliably for 50 iterations with my stock memory. It still has an issue with the Corsair memory I recently got so I've RMA'd the memory to see if a new set will run ok.

-Ray

106 Posts

June 23rd, 2009 17:00

Thanks a lot bud.  Really appreciate all the help.  I think that I'm gonna go with windows 7 64 bit.  Thanks again.  :emotion-2:

650 Posts

June 24th, 2009 09:00

Good deal.  Let me know how everything goes for you.

21 Posts

June 24th, 2009 11:00

Hi all.

Ok so i installed all the applications for my Creative Sound Card, and none of them contained the Auto Update program.

Does anybody know if there is a way for for me to get the install file/program directly?

106 Posts

June 24th, 2009 11:00

Definitely.  I just have to wait for it to arrive now :emotion-2:

June 24th, 2009 12:00

If you manually install the newest versions from Creative's site, it should add in the program you want under Start->All Programs->creative->CreativeSoftwareAutoupdate

The default path for it is C:\Program Files (x86)\Creative\Shared Files\Software Update\AutoUpdate.exe

All I have installed is Alchemy X-Fi and the newest drivers (I think) so it had to have come with one of those.  Also note that the autoupdate got installed into the 32-bit apps folder...

Hope that helps.

21 Posts

June 24th, 2009 13:00

Hi Mike,

I did that.  I un-installed everything i had.  Then reinstalled each app (under the Vista 64bit settings).  Its still not on my computer, or in my 32bit program files.

I wish there was just some way to get the file directly. 

115 Posts

June 24th, 2009 18:00

PH3N0M,

Still looking good on my end for temps and stability.

Below is SS of both idle and load. I never see but a 7 degree jump between idle and game + apps. I think I will give it a few more days and bump it up a little. The OC is almost a full 1Ghz faster than stock.

Thanks again. Next is a GPU upgrade and maybe RAM, might wait to see your results next RAM upgrade lol.

No Events found!