PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I was thinking the same thing.  When I downloaded the latest driver update(s), it automatically installed the Auto Updater and I'm running on Windows 7.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
(4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
Western Digital MyBook 1TB
(2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
(2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
Logitech G35 headset
Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
Sailor225
1 Nickel

Hi,

Do you have any problem Entering/Exiting Sleep Mode with Windows 7? Thanks

0 Kudos
JoeCrab
2 Iron

The OC is working like a champ. Love the low temps during COD5. H2C is the way to go.

Alienware Area-51

Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.2Ghz

Windows 7 Home Premium x64

ATI Radeon HD 5870

Dominator 6GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz

RAID 0 with 2 Vertex 120GB SSD + RAID 1 with dual 2TB HDs

Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme Titanium

Dual 25" Monitors (2ms) 1920 x 1080 via HDMI cables

Logitech G15 Gaming keyboard

Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

I have an unrelated question

i have a 730x running windows 7 rc1 64 bit.

with raid 0 raptors

i just bought a new SSD drive and I need to update the firmware. this requires me to plug in the drive and run some program. can i just plug it into any sata slot i have open?

i was reading about the requirement being that "The F/W upgrade program cannot work on AHCI/SCSI/RAID/PATA to SATA Bridge host" for my SSD

what does that mean?

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Hi,

Do you have any problem Entering/Exiting Sleep Mode with Windows 7? Thanks

I have no problem entering or resuming from sleep mode.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
zrock_87
2 Iron

Someone needs to make a direct link to page 53 or 54......  It is ridiculous to press next at least 25 times to get this far.  Btw, I recently ordered a Dell XPS 730x.  Let me know what you guys think?

SYSTEM COLOR Aluminum with Clearcoat Chassis 
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-920 (2.66GHz, 8MB L3 Cache) 
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1 64-bit 
SECURITY Norton Internet Security 2008 ion 15-months 
MEMORY 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM) 
HARD DRIVE 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache 
OPTICAL DRIVE Dual Drives: Blu-ray Disc (BD) Burner (Writes to DVD/CD/BD) and DVD-ROM 
VIDEO CARD nVidia GeForce GTX 285 1024MB 
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0 
MODEM & WIRELESS No Modem Requested 
SOUND Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 
KEYBOARD Dell USB Consumer Multimedia Keyboard 
MOUSE Premium Optical USB Mouse 
Cooling Option Copper base Heat Sink with aluminum fins 

I already have a 64bit and 32bit ultimate license which brings me to the question.  Would I be able to install 32bit (OEM from previous dell xps 420) without issues on this system since originally 64bit is installed.  A lot of my programs dont work on 64bit (also less support out there) so thats why i was thinking of 32 bit.  What do you guys think?  Also how much memory would I be able to use?  If I am not able to use entire 6gb would programs running still be able to take advantage of extra ram, lets say 2gb if 4gb used by windows?

It also makes me laugh that people are overclocking this cpu.  At this point in time, I really dont see the need.  When the programs get more intense then it makes sense to do it.  Why shorten the life of this critical component?

All suggestions and advices are welcomed.  Thank you.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

Would I be able to install 32bit (OEM from previous dell xps 420) without issues on this system since originally 64bit is installed.

No.  The product key is embedded in the BIOS.  Therefore, you need to request an x86 OS disc from Dell for the 730x.  They will send it to you at no extra charge.

A lot of my programs dont work on 64bit (also less support out there)

Really?  Less support?  I'm curious to hear why you say there's less support.  I've been running Vista x64 since January and now Windows 7 Ultimate x64 without any compatibility issues whatsoever.  What program(s) are you referring to?  I've not had a single compatibility issue.

Also how much memory would I be able to use?

If you're running a 32-bit OS, your PC can't address more than 4GB of RAM at any given time, that includes video memory as well.

It also makes me laugh that people are overclocking this cpu.  At this point in time, I really dont see the need.  When the programs get more intense then it makes sense to do it.  Why shorten the life of this critical component?

You obviously know very little about overclocking.  The life of the CPU is only shortened when there's a lack of cooling because heat begins to break it down.  I will be the first to agree that the Core i7 doesn't need to be overclocked because it's plenty fast for anything a person might want to do.  However, there are those who choose to push their system to the limit and squeeze as much speed from each component as possible instead of buying the Core i7 965 or 975.  As long as they have adequate cooling, everything is safe.  For example, I have mine running at 3.67ghz and the temps range from 40c-55c on air cooling. That is the same temperature range as when I don't have it overclocked.

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

zrock_87
2 Iron

First of all, Phenom I really appreciate your detailed answers. 

Hmm...I didnt order Vista Ultimate lol because I thought my previous OEM would work.  I have 2 OEM of vista, one is 32-bit from xps 420 and the other is 64-bit from 435MT.  So what you are suggesting that neither would work with the 730x?  If I order the x86 from Dell, they are gonna send me the Home Premium 32bit right?  Is there any possible way that you can think of installing Ultimate from previous OEM?  If not, would you suggest installing Windows 7 RC1 on the primary machine because it'll expire Auguest of next year even though its RC1, what I mean is that is it stable enough?  One more thing lol, when u go to computer properties, it gives you options for changing product key, could I change the product key there because I noted down the actual serial of the xps 420 vista?  Sorry about so many questions but answers dont have to be long.

Now, to support in vista 64bit.  I have HP LaserJet 2840 and there is no software for 64bit which allows scanning, faxing, etc.  I'm mainly concerned with scanning when it comes to software.  They do have a driver that allows for printing only in which you cant even control the color scheme which is ridiculous.  So, I had to install a virtual machine with Windows 7 lol and everytime I have to print or scan I have to start the virtual machine, then transfer the files, and then print which is ridiculous.  The 2nd is iTunes, everytime I launch it gives me an error msg which is common with 64 bit.  Also, I couldnt install a couple of other programs that I cant remember right now.  on the bright side, since it can use all the memory, the search feature in the "start" is fast compared to 32bit.  The overall system is more responsive as well.

Now, about overclocking.  You are probably right that people like to overclock to get the most out of the cpu.  I was probably wrong about decreasing its life but many people dont know about adequate cooling and just get right to overclocking.  I also meant that there is no need to overclock THIS particular cpu at this point in time.  As time passes, the applications are going to be more intense and that is when one should overclock when this cpu wont be able to handle those applications.  But, I also see your point of view about overclocking.  btw, 3.67ghz is insane and congrats on having those low temps.  

Overall, I really appreciate your detailed answers to my "too many" questions.  Thanks once again.  

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Cadmium

I have 2 OEM of vista, one is 32-bit from xps 420 and the other is 64-bit from 435MT.  So what you are suggesting that neither would work with the 730x?

If you have a Vista OEM disc that hasn't been installed on any other machine, it will work just fine.  However, if I were you I'd call Dell and request them send you the original OS - Vista Home Premium x86 (32-bit) since you're entitled to it.  If they HAVE been installed on another machine, it won't work.  Your best bet is to request a Vista Home Premium x86 disc or install Windows 7.

I have HP LaserJet 2840 and there is no software for 64bit which allows scanning, faxing, etc.

I Google'd your LaserJet and found where someone was having the exact same issue as yourself and this is what I found -

HP color laserjet 2840 vista 64 bit driver

Just to let people know, I got printing working on the "hp color
laserjet 2840" by installing the "HP Universal Print Driver for
Windows x64 - PostScript" driver.

The univeral HP driver for the 2800 series can be found here - Driver - Universal Print Driver - Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

The 2nd is iTunes, everytime I launch it gives me an error msg which is common with 64 bit.

This is what I found on the Apple website. 

Windows Vista

iTunes 7.6 or later is supported with any 64-bit edition of Windows Vista. If you are using 7.5 or earlier, some features may or may not work correctly.

Have you tried running iTunes using the compatibility mode?  Right click on the iTunes.exe and select Properties > Compatibility > and select whatever compatibility mode you'd like.  I'd try Windows Vista first, then try it with service pack 1, and so on.

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
zrock_87
2 Iron

I'll rather go windows 7 ultimate instead of the vista home premium.  How's windows 7 working out for you and I'm assuming that its on your primary computer since there is no mention of another OS in your signature?  I had windows 7 before but uninstalled it due to dual boot; i wasnt having any issues but I realized that I wont be able to utilize it since all my files are on vista and dual boot is a hassle.  But this time its gonna be the only one, I'm just waiting for input from you.

You also dug up the driver for my HP printer.  I have the driver for vista 64 and it only allows me to print.  However, HP hasnt put out the software to scan and fax, etc. for vista 64.  They have released the SOFTWARE for 32bit however which lets me use all the functions and is more advanced.  

The compatibility mode in iTunes didnt make a difference, instead it changed the aero scheme to the lower version.  It still gives me the same error message + a warning that I've set the compatibility mode to an older windows..blah...blah.  I forgot to mention before that iTunes DOES work after I say "OK" to the error message regarding some itunes install issues.

What I really wanna know is that would you support the idea of windows 7 on the primary computer?  Thanks for all the input.  I really appreciate it.

I was also curious about the point system in these forums, do you get anything lol?  

P.S.  Chris has got to make a link to get this far for other ppl.  Not for me, since I already posted in these recent pages and I can access easily now.

0 Kudos