PH3N0M
3 Argentium

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I had mine ratcheted up to 3.74ghz as well and my temp(s) peaked at 72c a couple of times while running Prime95 but mainly stayed around 68c @ 100% load.  My idle temp was 42c but I lowered my clock to 3.2ghz, only because I had no need to run it @ 3.74ghz.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

XPS 730x H2C (aluminum clear coat chassis)

Windows 7 Professional x64
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.60ghz (soon-to-be a Core i7-975)
6gb Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600
(4) - 300GB VelociRaptors with (3) in RAID0
Western Digital MyBook 1TB
(2) - XFX Black Edition GTX 285's in SLI
(2) - DVD/RW+CD/RW Drives
Creative X-FI Titanium sound card
Logitech G5 laser gaming mouse (blue)
Logitech G19 gaming keyboard
Logitech G35 headset
Dell 3008WFP-30" LCD @ 2560x1600
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
Sailor225
1 Nickel

I agree, I also do not need to run at 3.74.  (But I did pay for it)  They (Dell) recommends that C-state be disabled to solve the random reboot problem.  I was just wondering if Bios 1.0.3 fixed the issue.  To early to tell. On, the Intel site the i7 claim to fame is it's power management. Doesn’t disabling c-state defeat this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lazy_xps
1 Copper

If you would like to check, remove your H2C unit and clean the thermal paste from the CPU and the water block and then apply a thin layer of Arctic Silver 5 to the CPU.  Best of luck and let me know how it goes for you.

Thanks for the advise. Took it apart, apply some thermal paste, the CoolerMaster ThermalFusion 400 (could not find the Artic Silver 5), managed to to knock-off 3-4degC. OC to 3.6Ghz, idling at 47degC now. Will try to run Prime95 soon.

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Argentium

Doesn’t disabling c-state defeat this?

C-State Tech, Turbo boost, and speed step are all power saving functions so to answer your question, yes , it would defeat the purpose.  Thus, the reason you've noticed the drop in temps after enabling it.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=93963126733&ref=ts]Join the Dell XPS 730 & 730x group on FACEBOOK![/url]

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
mpoffo
2 Bronze

Just a quick note. Per my previous posts I contacted Dell and they stated that my temps are ok (Idle between 36c-43c).  Phenom was helpful in suggesting that I could reapply the paste.  I guess I am too chicken to do it.  The system runs fine in all games and doesn't get too hot in Age of Conan.  It is located in the basement and depending on if the air conditioning is on or not the temps will fluctuate.  I run it with the default overclock so it will go up to 3.74.  For my day to day purposes I think I will be happy with things for now.  Perhaps as my computer gets older I will play with the paste.  Just don't want a large paperweight on my hands.

Using the Prime95 test the temps will get into the mid 70's.  Under normal "gaming" load with (with 2-3 MMO accounts running and perhaps the TV) I get high 50's, maybe low 60's depending on room temp.

I will perhaps try enabling c-state if that will help.  Are there any risks involved in enabling it other that the possibility of reboots?  I could always turn it off I suppose.

Thanks

Mark

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 965 H2C @ 3.73ghz
Seagate 500GB and 1 TB Hard Drives
EVGA 295 COOP and 9800 GT as a PhysX
LG Blu-Ray Burner/DVD Burner
Turtle Beach gaming headset
Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup
Logitech G15 gaming keyboard
Logitech G9 laser gaming mouse
Hauppage 1800 Tuner
Samsung SyncMaster T240
Samsung SyncMaster 730B

0 Kudos
mastin
1 Nickel

Um, Dell may tell you that your temperatures are fine regardless of what they actually are. When I received my unit (I7-940 liquid cooled) these were my temps under load:
Temperature sensor 0    98°C (208°F) [0x2] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1    87°C (188°F) [0xD] (Core #1)
Temperature sensor 2    100°C (212°F) [0x0] (Core #2)
Temperature sensor 3    79°C (174°F) [0x15] (Core #3)
Dell said this was just fine.

I posted my CPU temps to five different computer enthusiast forum groups:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5955337&posted=1#post5955337
http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/448625-i7-940-not-oced-runs-99c-3.html#post5406459
http://forums.pureoverclock.com/showthread.php?p=25192&posted=1#post25192
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=2270285&enterthread=y
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1107663&p=-1#bottom

Folks were amazed and flabbergasted at the temperatures I was reporting.
Many of these folks seem to be familiar with how the i7 should be functioning under stock and over clocked conditions.
The consensus seemed to be that the heat sink for the cooling system was misinstalled.

Turns out they were correct. After many hours of problem solving with Dell I finally followed the lead I got from the enthusiast forum groups and checked the waterblock and found it loosely attached.

You'll want to rely on a source other than Dell for ideal or expected operating temperatures. Now I can say that when I first received my computer the i7 was fresh on the market. But, it only took me a few minutes of searching on the internet to realize what Dell never admitted and that was that my CPU was running at near failure temperatures. As long as I was not getting blue screens there was no problem as far as Dell was concerned. You can search this forum for details of my story.

My system has been running well with virtually zero problems since (other than the LED lighting has never worked correctly).

Take care.

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Argentium

You'll want to rely on a source other than Dell for ideal or expected operating temperatures.

Actually, if you're smart, you'll check other sources before relying on Dell for anything pertaining to your PC even though it was manufactured by Dell.  The reason being, the Dell tech support hotline rarely has a clue of what they're talking about and will steer you wrong 95% of the time.

I could've told you that you were in the danger zone with your CPU, considering 100C is the threshold.

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos
mpoffo
2 Bronze

Um, Dell may tell you that your temperatures are fine regardless of what they actually are. When I received my unit (I7-940 liquid cooled) these were my temps under load:
Temperature sensor 0    98°C (208°F) [0x2] (Core #0)
Temperature sensor 1    87°C (188°F) [0xD] (Core #1)
Temperature sensor 2    100°C (212°F) [0x0] (Core #2)
Temperature sensor 3    79°C (174°F) [0x15] (Core #3)
Dell said this was just fine.
My system has been running well with virtually zero problems since (other than the LED lighting has never worked correctly).

Wow those are way off base.  I have spent countless hours researching this issue on what safe temps are.  I have looked at most of the overclocking sites and have seen a variety of answers.  My temps seem to be in check.  I would be curious at what temps your seeing now in Prime and under "normal" load and at idle.  It was interesting to me that when Phenom installed his H2C, his temps were simlar to mine.  I think he has a cooler room overall from what I gather in his posts.

For me the bottom line is this.  Is the Dell H2C system the best in the whole world?  No.  Is it the worst?  No.  It serves its function and for me at least the temps are in the safe range for everything I do.  When I look at systems on other overclocking boards they all have different set-ups.  As for the C-state option in bios, my understanding per a previous poster is that could reduce your temps by as much as 3-4c.    I am not sure if these other home built systems have this enabled or disabled.  I think I will try it for kicks.

I certainly agree that it is good to look to other places for information.  I am sure I have seen some of your posts.  :emotion-1:. 

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel Core i7 965 H2C @ 3.73ghz
Seagate 500GB and 1 TB Hard Drives
EVGA 295 COOP and 9800 GT as a PhysX
LG Blu-Ray Burner/DVD Burner
Turtle Beach gaming headset
Logitech THX 5.1 speaker setup
Logitech G15 gaming keyboard
Logitech G9 laser gaming mouse
Hauppage 1800 Tuner
Samsung SyncMaster T240
Samsung SyncMaster 730B

0 Kudos
mastin
1 Nickel

Thanks P. Everyone I communicated with at the time, other than Dell, was fairly certain the chip was running too hot ((PROCHOT#) i.e close to TJMax/TCC). I'm sure if you had read my post you would have helped out.

0 Kudos
PH3N0M
3 Argentium

Right now, with my Core i7 920 overclocked to 3.20ghz, my idle temp is 37c-38c with C-State Tech enabled and my room temperature is around 73F.  Load temps are 65c.

I'm sure if you had read my post you would have helped out.

No prob man.  I'll be here if there's a next time.  emoticon.Wink.title

Logitech G35 headset
X-TRAC Ripper mouse pad

0 Kudos