Joshuasjeep
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I currently have an XPS 600 and am looking at the 730x.  I'm in Canada and can purchase the H2C TEC cooling option instead of the standard cooling.  Since the 920 represents the best bang for dollar due max OC, do all 730x's permit OC'ing and will there be any benefit in spending the extra $ on the cooling option? I have the same question. Can one purchase the base model with the 2.66 i7 and then overclock it in ROM to maybe 3.2? I've read that i7 can be reliably overclock with air cooling.
* You cannot overclock the i7-920 2.66GHz and the i7-940 2.93GHz.

Can anyone confirm for me what sound card comes with the XPS 730x? Is it the X-Fi Titanium or the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer? On the Dell site, when configuation the system, the only option available is the X-Fi Titanium, but after placing the order (like I have this morning), it switched to the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer on the Order Confirmation e-mail. Does the X-Fi Xtreme Gamer have an 'optical out' port like the X-Fi Titanium?
* The card is the X-FI Xtreme Gamer and it does have optical out.

With all due respect - you are mistaken on these 2 points (at least in my case). You most certainly can overclock the i7-920. The only thing you cannot do is change the multiplier. The BIOS supports several adjustments to optimize and facillitate overclocking. It does not have the "packaged" overclock settings as my XPS710 did (i.e. only 2 generic overclocks "built-in" to the BIOS). BTW - as a disclaimer - NO I have not applied any overclock settings to my XPS730X as I know it could affect my warranty and would never recommend doing so, however I did look at the adjustable settings in the BIOS, including the 133 clock as well as various voltage settings.

The card that came with my 730X is absolutely an X-fi Titanium. I thought I was also to get the xtreme gamer, however that is not what arrived installed in my case. I pulled it out due to the well-known SCP/SOD issues and upon examination and comparison - it is indeed the Titanium and does have the optical out. The EXACT card I have is pictured here: (down to the last capacitor!)

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=209&subcategory=669&product=17927

0 Kudos
mmab63
1 Nickel

I just got my i7-965 system today, and I can absolutely confirm the audio card is an 'X-Fi Titanium', and not the 'X-Fi XtremeGamer".

0 Kudos
mmab63
1 Nickel

I have a question about my CPU.

When loading CPU-Z, my core speed/multiplier never stays the same.   It varies wildly from 1600 Mhz with a multiplier of 12 to 3450 Mhz with a multiplier of 26.   It is constantly swinging wildly up and down with rarely any stability at all.

IS THIS NORMAL?  I envisioned the core speed/multiplier to be pretty much stable varying between 3200 - 3450 Mhz and a 24 - 26 multiplier in turbo mode.

I've gone in the BIOS and checked all the numbers for the 3.46Ghz overclock and everything checks out just fine.

So far, everything is wicked fast thus far and I couldn't be happier with my purchase except for this one issue, which may not be an issue at all.

And maybe a few programs I had on my old PC are not 64-bit compatible...i.e. Weather Channel Desktop, Spyware Doctor.

0 Kudos
mmab63
1 Nickel

I forget to add that the QPI Link always stays around 3200 MHz.   Is that normal with the i7 965 CPU?   Isn't it suppose to be around 6400 MHz?

I don't know.   Like I stated before, my PC seems to be wicked fast thus far.   My old PC was a 3.4GHz Pentium 4, so you can see I'm definitely happy with the performance thus far.  

Just a little perplexed about the numbers I'm seeing in the CPU-Z application and would like to get clarification if the numbers I'm seeing with i7 965 Extreme CPU are normal or not.

0 Kudos
Joshuasjeep
1 Nickel

Yes - the multiplier will change dynamically based on the load / application. During gaming my multiplier stays consistently at 21x for a speed of 2.8 GHz.

0 Kudos
mmab63
1 Nickel

I am .

Just found out that there's no SERVICE MANUAL shipped with the XPS 730x!!!   (yeah it took me a day to find that out)

I got a Quick Reference Guide/Setting Up Your Computer/Safety Environmental Regulatory Manuals and even a Dell SALES Brochure inside the box, but no SERVICE MANUAL??????

Spare me the DOWNLOAD/PRINT IT ONLINE or the IT'S AVAILABLE IN WINDOWS JIVE....what happens if my hard drive, motherboard, memory or power supply DIES on me?

I won't have ACCESS to Windows or the internet to browse the Service Manual!

And I currently have NO ACCESS to a PRINTER, and even if I did, we are talking many MANY pages to print the entire SERVICE MANUAL!!!

Very VERY dumb on the part of Dell......6 years ago I bought my first PC (Dimension 8200) and IT HAD A SERVICE/OWNERS manual!

If you can send me all this other JUNK aforementioned....why not send....hmmmm let me see....a OWNERS/SERVICE MANUAL?????????

Did anyone get a SERVICE/OWNERS manual with their system?

0 Kudos
mikebeatrice
1 Nickel

I don't have it with me right now since I'm at work, but ... what's the manual that's inside the fake leather binder that's included in the box with the keyboard and CDs?  I didn't really look at it, but I remember a book.

0 Kudos

0 Kudos

All,

When loading CPU-Z, my core speed/multiplier never stays the same. It varies wildly from 1600 Mhz with a multiplier of 12 to 3450 Mhz with a multiplier of 26. It is constantly swinging wildly up and down with rarely any stability at all. IS THIS NORMAL? I envisioned the core speed/multiplier to be pretty much stable varying between 3200 - 3450 Mhz and a 24 - 26 multiplier in turbo mode.
* I am using CPUZ 1.49. Yes, that is normal. The Core Speed is dynamic, not static.

I forget to add that the QPI Link always stays around 3200 MHz. Is that normal with the i7 965 CPU? Isn't it suppose to be around 6400 MHz?
* Frequency/Voltage Control- QPI Frequency is set to AUTO, CPUZ QPI Link = 34xxMHz, multiplier = x26 to x25.5

* Frequency/Voltage Control- QPI Frequency is set to 6.400GT, CPUZ QPI Link = 34xxMHz, multiplier = x26 to x25.5

* Frequency/Voltage Control- QPI Frequency is set to 4.800GT, CPUZ QPI Link = 24xxMHz, multiplier = x26

0 Kudos
mmab63
1 Nickel

I don't have it with me right now since I'm at work, but ... what's the manual that's inside the fake leather binder that's included in the box with the keyboard and CDs?  I didn't really look at it, but I remember a book.

That's the black Quick Reference Guide....useful, but it doesn't cover the technical aspects of installing/replacing/removing parts of the PC.

0 Kudos