LoveReason
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I got my 730x and was happy with it until VISTA started randomly crashing and rebooting my computer in the middle of my work.  So I decided to instal my old copy of windows XP PRO 64 . I read about slip streaming and made an ISO disc with the XP drivers provided in the utilities disc but its not working! XP pro 64 setup is saying that the drivers are incompatible with the OS! Any help please? The drivers listed for Windows XP seem only to be available for "XP" with no specification as to XP 64 or XP 32. Very frustrating as I have 6GB of memory and planning on upgrading to 12.

0 Kudos
LoveReason
1 Nickel

So basically does anyone here know where I can get the windows XP 64 drivers?? 

0 Kudos
LoveReason
1 Nickel

Btw, my system is configured with the ATI 4870X2 with i'm guessing from all the posts if the main cause of the problem. Has anyone gotten the ATI 4870X2 to run smoothly on VISTA  !!!

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

Chris or anyone else can you clarify some things for me?

1. What sound card does it actually come with? I see XFI Titanium in my email receipt, I see XFI extremegamer on my online receipt. It of course said XFI Titanium as I was making the order. Which is it

2. What power supply brand and model is it that it comes with?

The setup I ordered was:

core i7 965

6gb ram

raid 0 velociraptor (300x2)

CF ati 4850

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

Additionally I am curious if the free Turtle Beach headphones ONLY come with the H2C version so I know what to expect.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Joshuasjeep
1 Nickel

Mine came with the X-Fi Titanium. One other member verified his came with the Titanium as well.

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

ok so I will expect the XFI Titanium.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
kaloesche
1 Nickel

Hi everyone,

Sorry if I’m posting in the wrong place, but I’m considering a XPS 730x, and this seemed like the best place to ask about them.  I have searched the Dell website for answers, I have tried the “Live Chat” thing, (which didn’t work) I even emailed Dell, thinking that they would answer questions about a $2000+ system I wished to buy-HA to me!  They sent back an automated response saying they didn’t answer pre sales questions.  I almost wanted to say I’d take my money elsewhere, but I already fell in love with the 730x, and it would be my 3rd Dell.

Jsimon, I read in a review of the 730X that yes, the cool stuff-turtle headphones, hat so on so on only come with the H2C models.  That bums me out, I hope to at least get that mouse pad!  For the system I’m picking, I’m going with the cheaper i7-920, I can always upgrade the processor later, but I also thought those headphones looked neat.

I have a few questions if anyone could help-please don’t laugh, they seem very blonde.

The Tri-Channel DDR3 memory.  I just don’t get it, I understand this is new and better than dual channel-duh, but what if any are the future upgrade options?  For the system I am buying, I am going with the 6GB option, is this the most the system will ever support?  I know Chris tried to explain this very early in the thread, but I still didn’t get it.  Is 6GB of Tri-Channel DDR3 memory like equal to more than dual channel memory?  Is it like 18 GB of memory?  I know I know, but I just don’t get it.  Can more memory ever be added to this system?

My other question is even blonder.

I am going to order the Hauppauge HVR 1250 hybrid TV Tuner with the system, I know this part is analog/digital, but what will happen to it after Feb. 2009 when the TV signal switches to digital, will this part be halfway useless?  Will it need/is it possible to hook up a converter box to a computer?  Is this the most stupid idea in history?     I do not watch TV much, so I don’t have digital cable, so it seems a big headache to even mess with this, but the concept seems perfect for me.

Go ahead laugh at me, LOL.

Thanks in advance,

Kendra

0 Kudos
kaloesche
1 Nickel

sorry my post was sooooooooo big, I tried typing it in the forum three times, and the forum kept losing it, so I wrote it and copied and pasted from somewhere else.

Kendra

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

Hey Kendra,

Dont worry about the questions and how good they are 🙂

I can answer the first question for you

1. The system comes with a motherboard that has 3 memory slots  and if you pick the 6gb option it means it comes with 3 sticks of memory that are 2gb each. It does not mean you cannot upgrade BUT you would have to find sticks that are more than 2GB each. I.E. you would have to get 3 sticks that are 4gb each to get a total of 12gb ram. I think that is the limitation some are concerned about with the motherboard since 4gb sticks are WAY more expensive than any 2gb sticks. I am also getting the 6gb option and if I really need more I will upgrade the motherboard it comes with.

Triple channel refers to the effective bandwidth of the memory. You can get more performance when running a triple channel system as compared to dual.

I am not too sure on your second question as I watch tv like a normal person with DVR 😛

Cheers

0 Kudos