BZBooz
1 Copper

Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

I've not had my hand on one of them yet (mine should be delivered by this Thursday Jan, 8th) however according to the reviews, there aren't that many con's but plenty of pro's to these systems -- http://hothardware.com/Articles/Dell-XPS-730x-H2C-Intel-Core-i7-Gaming-System/. For me, personally, I have no doubt when it comes to processing speed of the i7 quad-core hyperthreading performance CPU, quoted "The fastest processor on the planet...", and teaming it with one or two (or may be three) nvidia GTX280 or ATI 4870 X2 graphic cards really puts these systems up to its name "Extreme PC".

Con's that I personally can think of:

(1). The motherboard has only 3 slots of memory which support up to 6GB of RAM (3x2GB maximum when ordering) making the future memory upgrade very costly and while the only OS selection itself is Vista 64Bit Premium or Ultimate. Vista 64Bit OS can support up to 16GB for Premium and 128GB for Ultimate -- not that one would need 128GB for a home PC but 12GB would be nice for a start (a wise man once said 640K of memory was plenty - back in the old MS DOS days and yet here we are now...). I have no idea how much a single 1x4GB DDR3 module would cost if one needs to upgrade the RAM righ now -- $400/$500 a pop maybe and you will need to buy 3 of them all at once, NICE??. Dell should have picked a MOBO with 6 slots for their 730x i7 systems.

(2). It's expensive but....

Pro's:

(1). It comes with excellently well-built-sexy-case with ATX standard (MOBO easily upgraded/replaced in the future)

(2).  H2C cooling system (if selected) to keep CPU cool for overclocking -- for those who can't live the stock speed

(3).  And nice warranty 

Well worth it!! I intend to have a long term relationship with this beauty!! I selected the i7-965 with H2C cooling system.

Hope this helps!!

-TC

PS: I have had a short term relationship with one of the 730 H2C systems for about a week and I loved it very much (Intel QX9770 @3.8GHz, 2GB of RAM, Vista 32 Bit, dual nVidia 9800 GX2). I was a happy camper but after 5 days of use, she decided to blast off into space -- the system fans just cracked up to 100% speed and it was loud like a jet about to take off and then it started to show thermal problem during reboots. Since I've just owned it for about a week, Dell service folks recommended me to return it which I did (they tried to save her over the phone but they could not).

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

Mine shipped today Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fsimard
1 Nickel

how do we unsuscribe to thread.

tks

0 Kudos
cbras9
2 Iron

Has anyone been able to get these items to work. also mystem does random reboots, it just shuts down for unknown reasons i have the xps 730x extreme 280 video caRD

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

Has anyone been able to get these items to work. also mystem does random reboots, it just shuts down for unknown reasons i have the xps 730x extreme 280 video caRD

That certainly worries me. I paid a considerable amount of money for it and I am not really up for troubleshooting it like I would a custom made machine so I hope mine works like it should because otherwise it seems I will be talking to Dell Customer Service a lot and potentially returning it if it doesnt work  as advertised.

0 Kudos
mikebeatrice
1 Nickel

make sure you didn't use windows update to update the X-Fi drivers. I did that & experienced the crashes & reboots. When I rolled back to the sshipped drivers the system was perfectly sstable again. it's the only problem I've had since getting my system on 12/21. I have the 280 1GB vid card, for reference & have already used the system to do many hours of AVCHD high def vid editing & rendering. Runs beautifully.
0 Kudos
LoveReason
1 Nickel

well I have one with the ATI 4870X2 and  it crashes all the time. It crashed with the initial setup too. I don't even use the system audio card (i have an external one as I use it for professional audio recording). I've even gone as far as installing XP on it and it still crashes.  

0 Kudos
jsimon9633
1 Nickel

have you contacted support what is their response?

0 Kudos
kaloesche
2 Iron

Hey LoveReason, do you have the system with the i7-965 Extreme version processor, or one of the lower ones?   I hadn't heard of any of the random crash/errors happening in systems with the lower two processors.

Congrats jsimon on your shipping, mine is in the kitting/kiting (sp?) stage whatever that is, it's after build though.  I love that automated phone order status.

Kendra

0 Kudos
LoveReason
1 Nickel

Yeah its quite annoying. I have the i7 920. so yes one of the lower ones. I've been with tech support for a while and now i'm waiting on a technician to come over and change some parts. I've had the system for over 2 weeks and nothing.  Crashes on XP and Vista 64. 

Config:

i7 920

6GB RAM

ATI 4870X2 

0 Kudos