Re: XPS 730x General Hardware Discussion thread

Mine was supposed to arrive today but it changed this morning and said it was damaged during shipping and has to be sent back[:'(].  Any ideas  how dell deals with this? Do they build a whole new one and does it get prioritized?  Who should I call about this?

XPS 730X, Intel Core3 I7-940 (2.93GHz, 8MB cache)
6GB Multi-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
nVidia GeForce GTX280 1024MB
500GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
16x CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

juiceless
1 Nickel

How do I get Dell to stop sending me emails every time someone posts to this thread?

mikebeatrice
1 Nickel

when you make a reply, at the bottom there's a checkbox that says "email me replies to this post".... just uncheck it.

fsimard
1 Nickel

unsuscribe

juiceless
1 Nickel

Mikebeatrice - that is helpful for future posts, but the forums give me an error whenever I try to edit an old post, or edit my profile, so I'm stuck with my inbox being filled up. 

FM9155
1 Copper

I am wondering if the random shutdown, reboot, and failure to boot to Vista has been solved? I have a XPS 730x H2C i7-965 with 6GB Ram and a nvidia GTX280 1024 MB video card. It has just started to randomly reboot. Upon shutting down, it will not boot back into the OS. The power turns on, the fans start, but it does not transfer into the POST. There have been some discussions on temps, I am not sure this is the case. In trouble shooting, as usual, I have reseated all of the cards, Hard Drives and memory. I have wiped the initial HD, re-installed the OS (without the Dell programs), with the same results. I work in Computer Forensics, and this seems like a CMOS/BIOS or Motherboard issue. Is Dell investigating this situation and has a solution been implemented. I am due to have another system delivered this week. I am hoping the problem does not repeat itself, or I will be sending the XPS 730X H2C back for a refund, and I will be getting the Falcon Northwest Mach V. The XPS 730X H2C would be an excellent platform if this problem was solved.

kaloesche
2 Iron

Wow, I got my system and talk about impressive, it goes off like a jet plane and then it's really quite!   And talk about huge, this thing gives a whole new meaning to "desktop", it sure takes up the whole desktop, LOL.

Kendra

tsa11
1 Copper

I received mine on Dec16, 2008

Out of the box, I have the same exact problem with XPS 730x with this configuration
i7965-Overclocked, 6 G Ram, Sli, Dual nVidea, 300 GB Velociraptor Dual Drive Bluray+Dvd Rom
My first boot went thru Bios and Vista Screens and by the time I reached the desktop the computer crashed and rebooted itself and ended in a blue screen.

After that all I see is the blank screen no Bios, no messages, but the LEDs inside the case is on and the fan runs fast and slow back and forth. I tried reinstalling the system disc, but the computer did not recognize or read the disc.

After fighting with the system al most all evening and night, next morning I called tech support. The first tech person did not have the patience to listen, and transferred me to another extension. The next one was very rude and told me to stop explaining the problem and told that the fact that computer is not starting is enough for her to proceed further. I was asked to unplug all the cables and the cards from the motherboard and put them back after disconnecting the power supply. This ATx case has a battery operated LED lights inside that comes on automatically. When I mentioned the LEDs are on the tech support person was kind of confused and asked me why I did not unplug the computer in the first place. We never reached the Bios screen again. I was told to try different monitor also.

After 3 hrs I was transferred to customer care. 30 minutes wait in the return or exchange queue. This customer care person was much kinder patiently listened about hours of my ordeal with the tech support, and told me Dell will send me a replacement computer by creating a new order and ship it in a week. I received the new order number with a shipping date of Dec 30. The website still shows it is in production and the shipping date is still showing as Dec. 30, 2008. The new order shows a single Blu-Ray Burner instead of the original Duel Drive BluRay+DVD Rom. But I was assured but customer care they would replace it after I received the new computer. The new order did not show the warranties I have purchased earlier. I was again told it would be taken care after I receive the new computer

Many calls to customer care convinced me that they are looking at the same screen I am looking at my account, and knows no better even thought they act like they are in control. One of them confessed that at best they could only send an email to the production department. These support staff seems to be equally frustrated and helpless  as we are.

As such there seems to be no communication between sales, customer care or production among themselves. This is the third computer I am buying from Dell and I have seen excellent customer care few years ago. Sadly Dell has grown too big to manage itself. It is a dinosaur with its tail on fire and the brain has not received the message yet!

Still waiting for the replacement, even though the shipping date showing in My account is Dec30, 2008.
tsa11

FM9155
1 Copper

Update on XPS 730X H2C reboot, shutdown, etc. I have monitored the temps and all seems to be WNL. I have discovered that upon a cold boot, if the computer does not boot into the OS, then you can turn it off, hold the rear reset, turn it back on while holding the reset, and it should reboot properly. Can't figure it out, has to CMOS/BIOS, Motherboard, or power supply issue. Dell had better be looking at this, and find a solution.

tasonis
1 Nickel

Just got mine a little over an hour ago.

Specs:

i920 - 6GB RAM - 1TB HD - CrossFire 4850s - Vista Home Premium 64-bit

So far I've run all the latest Windows Updates (except X-Fi drivers).

Uinstalled ATI Drivers from control panel. Restarted. Uninstalled both 4850s from Device manager and checked box to remove driver package.

Restarted, installed latest ATI package. Screen went blank after Vista complained about incompatible drivers. Waited a good 15-20 minutes and pressed enter three times waiting a few seconds between each (hoping the install completed and I'd answer yes to a restart as I couldn't see anything). That actually worked, it rebooted and I'm back in Vista now.

Will be installing latest X-Fi package now and crossing my fingers. Then some gaming!