Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

141 Posts

January 5th, 2009 12:00

All,

Please private message me your service tag numbers. Has everyone backed the CPU down to 26 multiplier as owl4505 did to see if the PC would run longer?

18 Posts

January 5th, 2009 13:00

Here is the link that shows the official overclocked settings.  I'm assuming that is what you were asking...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=5BE87875B6CB8DA1E040AE0AB7E115F4&journalid=5DAE85A31B4EF76AE040AE0AB5E14031&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

52 Posts

January 5th, 2009 13:00

I have almost the same setup and mine is 2days old doing the same thing, I do have the GTX 280 video card installed

62 Posts

January 5th, 2009 14:00

OK Chris, I sent you a private message about my Tag number hope you got it. This is what's up to this point for me. I called the Dell Tech Team and talked to "BILL"! Bill is the man, knows his stuff and was very helpful. The problem is not resolved so don't get excited yet. They figure along with his tier two lever guys is that there is something wrong with the sealed "Cooling Unit". Some how reporting a fault when the system starts to get stressed with the COD4 game or the XPS Thermo Monitor Program and just sends a signal to shutdown the computer. Now this sounds intelligent and on the right track I figure at least. The problem with me is that if this is the case the units they are shipping are defective and I don't want any part of it. I paid way to much money to spent my valuable time troubleshooting, worrying, waiting for a Dell Tech to show up, nope tired of it. I have arranged to return the computer with no cost to me and a full refund....THANK YOU DELL FOR THAT! It was fairly painless too, thank GOD!

Chris in my message I told you I had the bio in my computer set back to defaults after the MOB (motherboard) and CPU was changed out. The computer still failed with no overclocking of any kind. Besides which I would never consider that a fix is Dell said Factory Overclocking was included in the sale and warranty, just doesn't make sense to me!

Well goodluck to all, I may buy a Dell sometime in the Future but I don't think its a lock. To many other GOOD gaming systems out there, Dell just doesn't have it right yet! I will keep checking the forum and if anyone wants to contact me feel free too. If your going to buy a new Dell you may want to think twice about the "HIGH END" XPS!

January 5th, 2009 16:00

Here is the link that shows the official overclocked settings.  I'm assuming that is what you were asking...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=5BE87875B6CB8DA1E040AE0AB7E115F4&journalid=5DAE85A31B4EF76AE040AE0AB5E14031&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

Yes...that was what I was asking.  It sounds even the "default" overclocking is producing issues, clearly an issue with cooling.  Very curious....:emotion-7:

18 Posts

January 5th, 2009 20:00

Hi all,

I spoke with tech support and I am running the "Preboot System Assessment" now (located under the F12 boot option).  It is supposed to take a few hours.  I will let you know if it finds anything, etc.  I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this yet...

Sorry for the length of this but I thought I would jot all this down and hopefully it helps someone else.

I ran the "Pre-Boot System Assessment" (PSA+) diagnostic (via F12 from the boot menu) this evening after speaking with a Dell tech today.  First, it will test some system devices (e.g. Hard Drive, CDRom, Video, etc.) then it tests the memory.  Every test "passed" (even the thorough memory test).  Next, it brings up a "dialog box" that says "Booting Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition.  Press any key to continue."   When I do this it has problems and freezes after printing the following to the screen:
>>>
Loading DRMK v8.00...
HIMEM.SYS 8.09
DRMK Version 8.00
COMMAND.COM Build 37 - Jul 28, 2008
DRMK KERNEL Build 15 - Aug 8, 2008
Copyright (c) 2006-2008 Dell Inc.  All rights reserved.
<<<
That's it... it is now frozen.  I have tried this at least 10 times tonight and it always freezes here (I've waited over 15 minutes and it never comes back).  That is the first problem I'm having with the diagnostic utility.

So, I decided that I would re-install my BIOS from the Dell web site to see if that might fix this problem.   However, it acts the exact same after re-installing the BIOS (makes sense) in that it hangs in the PSA+ diagnostic as described above.

After doing that I rebooted and I went straight into the BIOS setup via F2, hit F9 to get the defaults (probably was already defaulted) and saved the changes and rebooted and then went right into the F12 - PSA+.  This time it did come back with a memory error right away.  Here is the error it gave:

>>>
Error Code 0123.
Msg:  Error Code 2000-0123
Msg:  Memory - integrity test failed.
The given error code and message can be used by Dell Technical Support to help diagnose the problem.  Do you want to continue testing.
<<<

I thought I was on to something but I think it is a red-herring.  I've tried this several times and if I reset the BIOS (F9), save changes, and then run the F12 PSA+ diagnostic it will have these memory problems.  However, on subsequent reboots (without resetting the BIOS) it never has the memory problem (and will eventually freeze in the Dell Diagnostic Utility Partition described above).

Has anyone else tried to run this diagnostic?

22 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

Btw, I have a hard time believing its a drivers issue. Reinstalled everything from teh ground up with the most updated drivers I could find and still the same. It doesn't seem to be the graphics card either as individuals with teh GTX280 report the same problem. I'm sure its just a bad part like the power supply that has some quality issues. The only way my computer works is if I run it in Safe mode! I can run safe mode for hours on without any problems.

22 Posts

January 6th, 2009 15:00

I did. My config is a 730x with i7 920 and ATI 4870X2. I got random shutdowns from the day I got my computer (with dell-installed drivers, etc.). I installed windows XP (thinking it was a VISTA problem that i've heard off) and still the same. Random shutdown. Screens go black and system reboots. I ran the Dell utility and it passed every test.  It also froze like you said. Don't know what to say. Have been waiting for replacement parts from dell for about 2 weeks now (got delayed and delayed). I'm not even sure it'll fix it considering that Dell doesn't know what is happening with these systems. So what now. I return my system after having spent 1 week diagnosing the problem for dell and 2 weeks to wait for parts that may not even fix the problem. To make things worse this was my first purchase from Dell. As an Apple guy, I have never had this kind of thing with their computers.

15 Posts

January 6th, 2009 16:00

owl4595 - Wow ... what an effort. I could never have done that. I will watch this forum daily for the next week to see what response Dell can provide. They continue to sell the 730X H2C with OC ... but it doesn't work. I am ready to buy again only after Dell explains the problem, provides a solution, and provides some consideration for those of us (especially you) that have spend MUCH time in trying to make their product work. Clearly ... the 730X system is not ready for primetime ... or sale ... Especially as the top of the line Dell Desktop. Please ... Dell ... keep us posted daily on efforts to resolve this problem of random reboot. Can I buy the non OC'd and non H2C 730x XPS with out fear of the random shutdown matter? At least it seems that "insiders" from Dell are tuned into the problem(s) - RIght? I'll be happy to send my personal data from my two 730X XPS systems, but I haven't figured out how to private it to Mr. Mixon as he has requested.

18 Posts

January 6th, 2009 16:00

pat51 - Just click on "Chris Mixon" on one of his posts and then click "Send a Message" if you want to send him your info

I spoke with another tech today and I will be trying to reseat the "front I/O panel cables" tonight.  I will also be trying some suggested "custom" voltages, etc. at 3.73 GHz to see if that helps any.  I'll keep everyone posted. 

62 Posts

January 6th, 2009 19:00

Folks, I really think your going in the wrong direction. Like I said in my post above, the Dell Tech's feel that it is a thermo event shutting down the computer. I think they are right, the "liquid cooling" unit is plugged into the master controller board to the right of the motherboard. We (I) don't know if the sensors in the cooling unit is sending a false signal to shut the computer down understress (load, gaming,XPS Thermo Monitor software). Maybe some software (XPS Thermo Monitor) is thinking there is a high temp thermo event happening and shutting down the computer. The way the computer suddenly shuts down is key to whats happening. It's not clear how much automation is built into the cooling unit, maybe someone has more knowledge about that! Don't think it's the overclocking, I know of another vendor who builds gaming computer's  that are overclocking the i7 chip to 4.0 with no ill effects, so I don't think Dell is even taxing the CPU with their settings. We need for someone to push the cooling issue because it seems all of the XPS's being shipping from Texas are having similar problems it's to much of a coinidence! What do you think? Am I way out here or does anyone believe I'm on the right path?

62 Posts

January 6th, 2009 20:00

Just one more note, above someone said they can run the computer for hours in "SAFEMODE". Guess what only the bear minimum applications run in safemode, and I don't think the XPS Thermo Software even loads so another "HUMMMM" in my book, just wanted to add to this sorry about rambling on!

18 Posts

January 6th, 2009 21:00

Just one more note, above someone said they can run the computer for hours in "SAFEMODE". Guess what only the bear minimum applications run in safemode, and I don't think the XPS Thermo Software even loads so another "HUMMMM" in my book, just wanted to add to this sorry about rambling on!

What you are saying makes sense to me.  I tryied some new overclocked settings tonight and as soon as I brought up the Dell XPS Thermal Monitor it rebooted.  I did get it to run for about 20 seconds on the next boot with the thermal monitor up but then it rebooted.  With the thermal monitor minimized I played a game for about 20 minutes (trying to stress the system) and sure enough it rebooted itself.  So, I would have to say the Dell XPS Thermal Monitor is at the very least aggrevating the problem (although less so at lower clock speeds in my experience).

22 Posts

January 6th, 2009 21:00

BTW, I don't have the H2C system. So its not only on the 730x o/c . i7 920 with ATI 4870X2 6GB with "AIR cooling" . So I don't know what to say. Keeps rebooting randomly.

62 Posts

January 7th, 2009 08:00

WOW, that kinda blows my theory. Oh well....Keep trying, GOOD LUCK to all!

No Events found!