Chris_Mixon
2 Iron

Re: XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Darrell WV, Shoot me your service tag number in a private message.

All, we are discussing this issue in our weekly meeting as I write.

DavidCmps
1 Copper

I'm having the same problem.

My 730x arrived yesterday, I installed it, spent the entire evening installing software (Visual Studio, SQL Server), had 1 reboot, thought it was a driver issue at first.

However, today I started working on it, doing some light development work, and out of nothing it reboots again. After lots of rebooting and trying to figure out what the problem was, I'm finding the temp issue a realistic answer.

First I looked at my sound drivers, since it rebooted twice when I started winamp, however, on other times it gave no problem.

Then it also rebooted on heavy hard disk activity, or heavy cpu load.

Are there ways to configure this "lets shut myself down for safety because I think i'm running hot"-feature? Or to troubleshoot it?

Very annoyed to read all of these posts only after a day of owning this nice machine Smiley Sad

Highlighted
pat51
1 Nickel

Sadly, we welcome you to the club. Others have documented temps surrounding the random re-boot behavior without clear cause and effect relationship, but the problem may be multifacited ... with the common result being the shutdown. Remember that Dell provides the 21 day "grace period" ... and from my experience X2 and others referenced on this forum ... you can bet that you'll want to take advantage of this "grace period" ... sad, but true. Watch your dates and this forum for Dell (Chris Mixon's) response. I am encouraged by Mr. Mixon's post (just above yours) that tells us that our reported problems are being discussed at some level at Dell. I suggest that you "priviate" message to Mr. Mixon re- your service tag number as he has asked us to do in the past ... and Darrell in his above post).

Chris Mixon ... how are you doing so far in this matter. When can we buy with confidence again?

DavidCmps
1 Copper

Could anyone confirm if this sequence is the same they're having:

• *user working*
  • Power goes off
  • PC tries to power up again
  • Right after reset and starting coolers again, power goes away again
  • PC tries to power up once again
  • And we're up and running again

It seems to do a double reboot, as if it first shuts down for some temp fail safe, tries to boot again but decides it's still failing and does it another time.

Richsi
1 Nickel

Yes that was exactly the sequence my computer would perform before I returned it! Keep in mind the 21 days, thats important advice!

DavidCmps
1 Copper

Just got off the phone with XPS support, at least the procedure is started now...

They want me to restore the Dell OS and reproduce the reboot with their default settings.

I guess I'll restore it and then run prime on it to create a heavy load or use some heavy disk activity tool?

How could I convince support that it's a problem with the H2C thermal unit? Smiley Wink

tom455
1 Nickel

Just got off the phone with XPS support, at least the procedure is started now...

They want me to restore the Dell OS and reproduce the reboot with their default settings.

I guess I'll restore it and then run prime on it to create a heavy load or use some heavy disk activity tool?

How could I convince support that it's a problem with the H2C thermal unit? Smiley Wink

Try running coretemp along with prime95 to see what your cpu temps are. Check out page three of this thread you will see temps another member posted.

Post your temps. I would like to see what it runs at.

System 1

Antec 900 case, Intel Core i7 965, Antec Signature 650 power supply, G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 DDR3 1600,Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit (tv tuner),SAMSUNG  SH-S202N,Vista Ultimate 64-bit,GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard, 2 WD6401AALS 640GB (raid), 8600gt gpu

System 2 Dell 8400 3.4ghz cpu, 4gb ram.

Richsi
1 Nickel

Hey DavidCmps, try launching "XPS Thermo Monitor" program and leave it running awhile (3-5 mins) the computer will crash I bet! Sometimes launching the program right from the start up of the application my computer crashed! Try it and see if yours does the same? I never saw any high temps on the mobo, cpu, interior of the computer etc. EVER! When I chatted with Dell Techs (DELL TECH TEAM) they always said to reload software....IMO it's a total waste of time on this machine. I'm convinced the Liquid Cooling Unit is playing a BIG part in this XPS 730X H2C problem. The one person who got it was named "BILL" on the "Tech Team" in Florida. Try asking for him if you have "TECH TEAM" coverage(Florida), if not good luck with the India folks!

DavidCmps
1 Copper

Idle it's running at 32-35 Celcius (42watt TDP)

Prime running, 100% load it jumps to 67-68 degrees and 223 Watt TDP

After a while it stabilizes around 71-73 degrees.

No reboot so far though, maybe I should run a disk load tool after this, any good ones?

DavidCmps
1 Copper

@Richsi,

Funny thing, I ran for 10 minutes with Prime and Coretemp and everything's stable.

I run the Dell Thermo thingie for barely 1 minute and BOOM, reboot!

When I first opened it, I was annoyed with the Fahrenheit (I'm European and I bought it in dell Belgium :p), when I clicked around a bit in it, to see if I could put it in Celcius, tried to create a profile and the program itself just crashed on me :s

I doubt I'll get Florida coverage, spoke to a guy in the Netherlands today, during business hours I get Dutch apparently. Going to try out some BIOS settings now and if it reboots again I'll be calling now, and probably be patched through to an English speaking center, *finger crossed I get a smart guy*