Richsi
2 Iron

Re: XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Well goodluck, the guys in Florida ROCK, at least they try. The XPS Thermo Monitor is IMO the key to this whole thing! It appears the software can kill every computer on this thread or at least it appears that way to me! Still put my money on the "COOLING Unit"! One guy had his replaced along with his CPU and its been running fine so far. Think that's the key to this HUGE problem, wish Dell would read these threads! OH WELL, I still haven't seen my refund yet, been a week and a day since I sent it back! They take your money QUICK, but take their time giving it back to you!

VonCarlos
1 Nickel

Did you, or has anyone else read the "XPS Thermal Monitor Disclaimer" "XPS Thermal Monitor END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT"? This comes up before you use the program for the first time.

It basicaly says that if you use this software it may do serious damage to your computer and void the warrenty!!! ???

I'm tring to find a copy of this online.

owl4595
1 Nickel

DavidCmps, if you read through this thread you will many of us had / have the exact same problem you are having.  I went through all the things you are about to encounter, and 28 days later, I returned the system (this past Monday).  We have seen the "double reboots" (rebooting on reboot), random reboots, Dell Thermal Monitor seemingly aggravating the problem (although I have turned it off and would still get reboots).... we've re-installed the OS, BIOS, Drivers, reseated the memory, video / audio cards, made sure all connections on board were secure, checked power status on back of unit (PSU button w/ green light).  We have run countless tests and have including CPU temp monitors, video temps, case temps.  Run a variety of apps that stress the system including Prime95 and current games... We have tried different voltage settings, turbo settings, frequency settings.  Had tier 1 Dell support do silly things like modify the power settings in the control panel to see if that helped (yes, they really did that!!!) or uninstall my video drivers and then try to put on 32 bit drivers!!! (system is a 64 bit with 64 bit OS!).  In the end, we could not finger the problem.

So, my advice is to get on the phone with Dell and 1) have a tech come out and replace the guts or 2) get a whole replacement Dell.  From what I have read (other than the one 730 owner, not a 730x) doing those things will not help but you might want to try on the outside chance something has been fixed since you ordered yours.  Otherwise, you will have to setup a RMA with Dell and return yours as several of us have had to do.  I returned mine after 28 days but it sounds like you would be safer inside of the 21 day grace period (I'm not sure exactly what Dell's policy is on this).

I really do hope Dell fixes this issue and it would be beneficial if they would be more vocal about what they think the problem is or what they are working on to solve it.  

Good luck.

Fullcode
1 Nickel

I will add my name to the growing list of 730x owners with the same sudden power loss issues.  I got my system two days ago, and it is an air-cooled i920 with the ATI HD 4870 X2.  Spent the day with tech support (very polite and tried their best) doing most of the same things everyone else has been asked to do without success.  I gently but repeatedly mentioned this forum and the experiences being shared here to little avail.  They are going to swap out the power supply and GPU next.  If that doesn't work they say they might swap out the CPU.

I fear I may be returning the system if a solution isn't rapidly found.  Ironic since I decided to replace my home-built with a Dell as I don't have time to tinker and need a powerful, low maintenance system.

Fullcode

XPS 730x i920 2.66GHz 6GB ATI HD 4870 X2 Air-cooled

Richsi
2 Iron

I did see the disclaimer flash up (XPS Thermo Monitor Software), but figured it was junk and shut it down before reading it. WOW, that's like  handing you a loaded gun and telling you to pull the trigger to see if it works or not! I think what it means is if you play with the manual settings and take it off automatic you may set the fans speeds lower then what they need to be to cool the computer correctly. I think thats it anyway, still can't figure out why they would load a bogus piece of software like that anyway! GEEZ, this thread is sure frustrating to me. I'm GLAD I sent my computer back, they don't seem to have idea on what's going on and it appears to me all they do is throw hardware at it instead for trying to troubleshoot the thing. Maybe they should hire some of us to fix it for them LOL, GEEZ!

pat51
1 Nickel

Dell has the Tag numbers and several of our returned units for their own experts to evaluate the problems recurrently described on this forum. With the tag numbers they can track all of the efforts that Dell technical support has expended in this 730X nightmare. At present, it seems irresponsible to continue to sell the 730X product. Others are foolish to spend time attempting to "fix" a faulty product that they have spent several thousand dollars to purchase! Insist on sending the unit back as soon as possible. For others researching this forum prior purchase ... DON'T Buy ... until Dell has responded as to recognition of the problem(s) and can describe the problem and how they can work around the random shutdown issue. Chris Mixon is a Dell insider assigned to this forum. We need to hear from him. What is going on Chris?

Sailor225
1 Nickel

Hi,

I am on my second 730x 965.  The first unit had all the the same symptoms. The fans would run at 100% and the unit would not boot. Other times the fans would slow down after several seconds and  then bootup correctly.  There were the times it would just lose power and reboot at idle.  I  suspected it was the Master Interface Board.  Searching other threads, I found some owners of the XPS 730's were experiencing  these problems.  Did Dell use the same interface board for the XPS730X?   The second 730x arrived and right out of the box, I started experiencing Crashes (BSOD) on startup. (Iql_is_not_equal_or_less_than)  This problem occurs while Vista64 is loading and I think this is a driver issue.  Once Vista loads it seems to run stable until I have to restart.  I also removed the OC settings.  I have not called tech support about this new problem, as they will just want me to reload Vista and  I have been down that road.  I am waiting to see if Vista SP2 fixes this problem. (A guy can dream, Should have bought a Mac)

LoveReason
1 Nickel

have any of these random shutdown issues been resolved? Both i7 920 with Air cooling and 965 o/c with H2C seem to be targeted.

Richsi
2 Iron

Hey LoveReason, this person claims their computer is repaired, you might want to chat with them!

Repairs went great!  Machine working without problems for the past three days.

Again, I believe this to be a faulty sensor in the H2C ceramic cooling system, sending a false signal to the master control board causing the shut down.  I have no proof, as there is no data from the ceramic cooling system that is accessable to me, someone with more knowlege could probably get that information.  It could be as simple as condensation on a relay from the TEC, which is not supposed to produce condensation in the first place.

I know for sure that only the cooling unit and the processor were replaced on my system.  It took the tech service person about 30 minutes to have my system back online, from the minute he walked into the house.  He knew what he was doing, was nice, friendly and courteous as well as efficent.  The Dell Tech Support was great to work with, even though there was a problem.  Mechanical devices do break down, to Dell's credit they fixed it.  When my car breaks down, I take it back and they fix it, but charge me unless it is under warrenty.  The Dell warrenty is worth every penny, IMHO.

So yes they showed up, he was even EARLY, called and asked if that was okay before showing up.  I had call backs from Tech Support every day after I first contacted them and we agreed on a game plan. 

I do not know if the 730X problem is the same as mine, but it symptomatically sounded the same, and now it is fixed, at least at this time, which all anyone can ask for.

All the best,

Darrell WV

Highlighted
pat51
1 Nickel

How did this forum go to 3x the pages in one day????????????? Navigation of the site just got unworkable. Dell ... Fix please .... and acknowledge. Maybe Dell is having MAJOR corporate problems in these difficult financial times. Watch out for bankrupcy here folks. Then all of your unreturned and unworkable units can be trash fill. Please talk to us Mr. Mixon ... if you are still working and what you have on our reboot issue. Nobody should buy from Dell at present ... they clearly have a major support issue here and yet they continue to sell systems with this reboot issue not corrected ... or so it would seem.