owl4595
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Guys, with the lack of info coming from Dell I decided to go my own way and build my own and I have something that I beleive is "shocking".  First, here is my new rig:

i7-965 (clocked at 3.2 right now)

ASUS P6T Deluxe MoBo

6 Gigs OCZ 1600 memory (3 x 2 GB)

NVidia 295 Video - EVGA (yes, I upgraded)

2 x WD 300 GB 10000 spin drives (RAID 0)  (another upgrade)

1220 W PSU (KingWin) (another upgrade)

CPU cooler - Intel Stock fan !  (no liquid cooling !!!)

OK, so this morning I have it all setup and all the new drivers, etc installed.  I run Prime95 (just as I did with the 730x) and I'm monitoring with with "Core Temp" and the core temps are 10 degrees cooler !!!!  It is running at around 62 degrees C.   So, how can a liquid cooled 730x H2C (which cost an extra $450 for liquid cooling) be 10 degrees hotter (it was around 72 Degrees C. when I tested it at the stock 3.2 GHz) than fan that comes with the i7-965?

I will be installing a better CPU cooler before I start overclocking but for now I'm just getting base benchmarks...

PS: the system I built is about $700 less than the 730x H2C unit.  Admittedly you don't get support but the support I got from Dell was sub-par...

tom455
2 Bronze

Guys, with the lack of info coming from Dell I decided to go my own way and build my own and I have something that I beleive is "shocking".  First, here is my new rig:

ASUS P6T Deluxe MoBo

OK, so this morning I have it all setup and all the new drivers, etc installed.  I run Prime95 (just as I did with the 730x) and I'm monitoring with with "Core Temp" and the core temps are 10 degrees cooler !!!!  It is running at around 62 degrees C.   So, how can a liquid cooled 730x H2C (which cost an extra $450 for liquid cooling) be 10 degrees hotter (it was around 72 Degrees C. when I tested it at the stock 3.2 GHz) than fan that comes with the i7-965?

I will be installing a better CPU cooler before I start overclocking but for now I'm just getting base benchmarks...

PS: the system I built is about $700 less than the 730x H2C unit.  Admittedly you don't get support but the support I got from Dell was sub-par...

What did you buy for a case? Do you have the case fans and cpu fan on high?

These where my temps.(room temp at 68f)

Stock cooler case fans and cpu fan on low.                             41c idle  80c full load

Stock cooler with case fans on med and cpu cooler on high.   38c idle 70c full load

Temps with Noctua cpu cooler,case fans on low.                      34c idle  60 full load

Here is a good video on core i7 temps.  

http://www.viddler.com/explore/HardOCP/videos/21/

System 1

Antec 900 case, Intel Core i7 965, Antec Signature 650 power supply, G.SKILL 6GB DDR3 DDR3 1600,Hauppauge WinTV-HVR 1800 MCE Kit (tv tuner),SAMSUNG  SH-S202N,Vista Ultimate 64-bit,GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD5 X58 Motherboard, 2 WD6401AALS 640GB (raid), 8600gt gpu

System 2 Dell 8400 3.4ghz cpu, 4gb ram.

owl4595
1 Nickel

[quote user="owl4595"]

ASUS P6T Deluxe MoBo

What did you buy for a case? Do you have the case fans and cpu fan on high?

These where my temps.(room temp at 68f)

Stock cooler case fans and cpu fan on low.                             41c idle  80c full load

Stock cooler with case fans on med and cpu cooler on high.   38c idle 70c full load

Temps with Noctua cpu cooler,case fans on low.                      34c idle  60 full load

Here is a good video on core i7 temps.  

[/quote]

Great video link, thanks!

I have a ThermalTake ArmorPlus case however I do have the sides off as I'm still putting it all together.  So, I don't have the inside case temperature to worry about right now.  The CPU fan is set on high.  I just thought it was surprising that the liquid cooled 730x was running hotter than my "free" air cooled fan supplied with the CPU...  I'm waiting on a ThermalRight 120 Extreme and then I will seal it all up.

All,

Change the Dynamic CPU Vcore Offset from 120mv to 140mv.
DavidCmps
1 Nickel

What exactly does this do, since I changed it from 120 to 80 and it's running stable as well?

Richsi
2 Iron

That's it? That's all we get from DELL? No explainations, no reasons why this will work or how you came up with this solution? No "SERVICE" to your customers? OK, this is the last straw...I will never, ever consider DELL for my computer needs again! GEEZ what a company!!!!!!!!

Richsi,

That was just the last thing I got from our testing. I have not been told the whys it seems to work doing that change. As for How, well, we just tested the captured processor, played around with the settings. Standard troubleshooting.
Highlighted
pat51
1 Nickel

Thanks Chris. Is it your considered opinion that this will address the problem of the random loss of power and rebooting that we have observed? Of course, folks like Richsi, myself (x2), and others have returned our 730X H2C systems for this problem ... after multiples (x10) of hours spent worrying, waiting on phone lines to Dell, and talking with Dell support. If this is a problem now solved, then I look forward to giving Dell another chance, but some consideration (discount on a new system) seems appropriate for our effort and disappointment.

Again, is it your opinion that this solves the random shutdown problem? Of course, I don't know how to do this (please describe and confirm that it won't void our Dell warranty). Most of guys on this forum are much more computer sophistocated than I (a cardiologist). Does this option reside in the Bios? If we buy again, will it be changed in the new system? Of course, because of this problem and the 21 day grace period policy, I have returned two (2) 730X H2c Extreme systems ... and have no ability to make this change to see if it works. My current Dell (used for this response) is a 2002 model (plus 2 Dell's in my office) ... historically well serviced via Dell.

Please help me (us) here Chris.

marcopodrini
1 Nickel

I Chris M, I'm Marco Podrini an Italian user, i bought an xps 730x i7965 H2C, and i'have the same problem,

thech support is not able to help me, and my pc reboot randomly, indipendent of cpu usage, so i try to change

v core overvoltage from 120 to 140 but the problem incresh, with 120 the pc reboot 2 time a day, with 140 reboot 10time a day!

My personal opinion is that the problem in link to the thermal monotor application!! PLESE HELP DELL CUSTOMER.

sorry for my english!

Thanks in advanced

Marco Podrini ITALY

marcopodrini
1 Nickel

I tried to disable the "Thermal monitor application" and the system seems to be stable also with 120mv Vcore. I think that the problem of the "random reboot" could be inside this application. It is possible that the thermal monitor was implemented for Old 730 and is not so compatible with the 730X model? I suggest DELL engineers to try to disable this application and test the PC, because i think that the problem is not in the use of the cpu.

I made 40 hours of rendering in maxwell render with the cpu at 100% and no Reboot.