Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

72 Posts

February 17th, 2009 12:00

And another useless comment. LOL

72 Posts

I'm sorry for being so negative "mmab63", but didn't you read the post of the guy whos computers started burning? Doesn't that bother you? A guys who's in a wheelchair and would have a hard time getting out of his house? That doesn't bother you? A potential fire hazard perhaps? Or do you think he's lying also as you accurse me of doing? Just wondering where your coming from? I really don't care to waste my time and the time of others on your accusations about me. Read the other posts, I have plenty of support on this issue. Let it go pal I won't go away!

Yes that bother me.   But how do we know what caused it?    Maybe he has a wiring problem or other electrical issues that caused it.

And to my knowledge, he's the ONLY poster that had his system catch on fire.    Trust me, if these systems were catching on fire, Dell would take this system off the market EL PRONTO!

I really want to know where YOU are coming from?    You have gotten your MONEY back....you should be satisfied at that... and MOVE ON!

Instead you are coming here ONLY to post and reinforce negativity about this system that OTHERS are posting about.  

You are no LONGER a useful contributor to this thread....you are becoming a PEST and a TROLLER!

You must LET IT GO......become a useful contributor again to this thread....or MOVE ON!

1 Message

I would just like to add my name to the growing list of dissatisfied Dell customers.  I too had to return two 730x 965 H2C systems because of the rebooting problem.  I spent many days on the phone with tech support, and tried all the suggestions from Chris M. on this forum.  Even disabling C-State in the BIOS didn't work.

The two posts by Pat51 above express my feelings exactly...I want to buy this Dell computer, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.  I noticed that Dell is still shipping these defective products, since one person received his three days ago.

62 Posts

Well another satisfied Dell customer! LOL

62 Posts

Its odd that your allowed to attack other posters like myself and call them names but aren't sensored or your post removed, I wonder why that is? A Dell employee perhaps. It's funny everytime you attack me someone else comes along and graps about issues with their computer hummm seems to be a trend. Perhaps he has bad wiring also GEEZ....

72 Posts

February 17th, 2009 13:00

Its odd that your allowed to attack other posters like myself and call them names but aren't sensored or your post removed, I wonder why that is?

That ought to give you a hint.   Maybe the mod agrees with me that you've become more of a 'troll' lately than a useful informative poster that you USED to be?

The only poster I've ever 'attacked' is you!    I wouldn't call it an 'attack', just addressing your trollish ways lately.  

Going back over your previous postings, you USED to be a very informative poster, but lately you have become the complete opposite.

72 Posts

And how can i forget the ORIGINATOR of the C-State Tech disabling solution.....ebaul.

And of course, myself......3 1/2 weeks and no random reboots after disabling C-State Tech.

If this 'temporary' solution didn't work, believe me I'd be cussing up a storm about this.  It really wasn't a huge problem (it only happened about 6 times in the first month) before, but now it has been NO problem ever since.

72 Posts

Hi all,

I got my XPS 730x H2C with the i7 965 Extreme o/c to 3.73GHz about 4 weeks ago. Within the first two or three days i started to have random shutdowns. The ONLY thing i have done is to DISABLE C-State, I have not had a shutdown in the last three weeks. We play Call of Duty 4 and Far Cry 2 for hours at a time with NO shutdowns. I would recomend that you disable c-state if you are haveing the shutdown issue.

Billshooter

1: Turning off "C" state worked for me -  (at least it has for the last 10 days).  I still wonder what I am really loosing by doing this workaround.

DemonDog

Just tuning in once more to mention the C-State change is still running stable for me for the last 2 weeks.

DavidCmps

Well I tryed all the settings mentioned by Chris and the reboot situation was not solved. I even tightened the six screws on the H2C unit that cools the 965,etc as documented earlier , still no change - random reboots. The System is much more stable in SAFE mode , but that won't work. The ONLY solution that has worked for me is changing the C-STATE to DISABLED - NO random reboots at all in 48 hours.

This doesn't seem logical - when we turn off the throttle back on the CPU cores (C-state) then the Thermal Application doesn't get a reading that causes the System to reboot ?? and when I run in SAFE mode for 24 hours there is no reboot ?

Anyway I'm logging CPU and ESA temps with C-State Disabled. I feel much better about playing games without the reboot craziness. Now I quess the next step is to PM Chris and let him know my Service Tag #...

Digitalheat

Chris--

You missed my later post where I said that XPS Thermal app wasn't the culprit and I put it back (though I will try the new version). Disabling C STATE TECH in the BIOS made the problem go away and stay away.

-- Wiggo

These are all posters who, LIKE ME, disabled C-STATE Tech with success.

And I went back over your previous postings Richsi, and you had mentioned to someone that they could 'void' their warranty if they messed with the BIOS?   

By inference, I could conclude that YOU never even attempted the 'disabling C-STATE Tech' solution.

Did you or did you not attempt to disable the C-STATE Tech in the BIOS before returning your system, Richsi?

62 Posts

Give it a rest pal your not being productive either. He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. I gone you win, I don't have time wasting it on you! Notice I didn't call you names I'm a little better then that......I'm gone!

52 Posts

February 17th, 2009 15:00

The posts have gotten out of hand, no one should be attacking anyone. I have been trying to keep everyone informed. dell has replaced just about every part at least one time. The system did a series of random reboots, I think it is being caused by overheating. When i returned home there was a burning smell in the air,also I had discovered that one drive's data cable couldn't be read prior to this. I am assuming I received a another faulty motherboad. the master control had been replaced twice. I had planned to send the computer in for repairs in August when my son returned from Iraq. the good news is Dell has located a box to return the system and the tech has shipped it. Believe me when I say this I am quility of sometimes using these boards to vent my frustration, but we should use them as a learning tool. Chris is here to help us. I am happy to say I have the only $30,000 computer on the block (HAHA) I am hoping by sending the computer to the engineers They will find a solution to all of our problems. I will keep everyone informed

So folks, any news on this from ChrisM or Dell?

ChrisM/Dell. Without being flip, short, lacking in answer, or condescending, can either of you address exactly what happened with the defects of this premier, expensive "replacement" for Dell's XPS 730?

Many would also like to know why the updated Bios in "Drivers & Downloads" on Dell's site, is now back to BIOS 1.0.0?

Are these "updates" only for the XPS 730x that is H2O cooled, or for all versions of the XPS730x ?

I do not see them anywhere on Dell's main web site.

Nothing for the XPS Thermal Monitor, the BIOS, nor are there instructions for disabling the C State Tech their either. Also, does shutting off a safety feature truly fix a defect in Dell's XPS730x product?

How are consumers who go to Dell's website to check for updates, expected to know about or find, where the files would be for them to correct the XPS730x's defects?

ChrisM or Dell?

Thank you.

I find it very interesting how Chris from Dell, basically ignored many members concerns for pages and pages, then once in a while, chimes in with minimal information.

He also ignored my initial above post asking him some questions.

I am sure it is very hard to please everyone, but ignoring valid concerns for pages and pages is not the best way to address things. Neither is members attacking one another if they don't agree with each other. State your feelings with facts and don't yell at each other if you don't agree. That helps nobody.

Once my review site is up (which may take a bit of time), everyone is welcome to post their views, both bad and good, about this Dell system.

And another useless comment. LOL

I have been reading all of these comments, and if I come across one that I feel is useless to me, I skip over it, not berate the poster.

482 Posts

February 17th, 2009 18:00

Hello Thread,

I have been following this thread since it started, and even have posted to this thread at the begining, and I have to say this discussion has lost all sense of common courtesy.  Does anyone know what the Dell Community Forum is about?

Dell Forums    

Dell Forums
Get help from fellow Dell customers.

If you wish to get a technical answer for a technical problem from a Dell Technical Support person you need to be communicating with Dell Technical Support.  This forum is about Dell customers assiting other Dell customers from their personal expertise.  The Dell Liason is just here to moderate and offer Forum Support, not to answer your individual Tech Support questions, although almost every Dell Liason that I have had interaction with has been very helpful in their respective capacities.

This thread has been great and it has been less than great.  I would ask each of you to evaluate just how much you have truly tried to help out your fellow DCF members and to continue to post only constructive help or constructive questions.  NO ONE is obligated to answer a post, each of the posters do so of their own volition.

Best wishes as always,

Darrell WV

8 Posts

February 19th, 2009 13:00

I would like some advice on what to do next.  I have been very polite and very patient so far but I don't think having a new, nonfunctional system for a month is fair or reasonable. 

My XPS i7 920 with HD4870 X2 air cooled system has not worked since purchase over a month ago.  I have had the CPU, motherboard, GPU, and power supply replaced.  I have done multiple fresh installs of the OS and latest drivers.  I have tried disabling C-state and the other BIOS tweaks recommended.  I had removed, reloaded, and used older versions of the system monitor and Alienware software as recommended.  I have lost almost a week of work time working on this problem.  In my last talk with tech suppport I was told it was a level 3 tech problem and I would hear from them within 48 hours.  It has been a week without any level 3 tech getting back to me.

I initially asked about returning it or replacement system and was told this was a technical issue, don't contact customer service any more, tech will solve it for you.  I took them at their word and now I am outside the 21 day return period.

What are my options?  Is there anything else I should be trying to do to fix my system?  Is there anything else that has worked for other people?  Do I have any further recourse available?

Fullcode

18 Posts

February 19th, 2009 14:00

Fullcode, I created this thread back in December when my 965 was having the same issue.  I've been following along and from what I can tell there is no 100% solution and it sounds like you have tried all the "best" so far.  My advice is to return the system now.  Don't hang on any longer unless Dell assures you that you can do so.  I was in the same boat you are in as I hung on longer than 21 days (I returned mine after 28 days) and there wasn't a problem returning it (full refund a week later).  If you do want to return it you have to call customer service and explain to them how much time and effort you have put in trying to solve the problems and they should see it documented that service techs have swapped out parts, you have spoken with tech support, etc. so they shouldn't  bring up the "21 day return period".  Be prepared to speak with at least 3 or 4 reps along the way and also to be put on hold for 45 minutes for the last rep that authorizes the return.

Owl4595

No Events found!