Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

72 Posts

March 11th, 2009 17:00

Finally got my RAM to 1600MHz.   I have the air-cooled i7 965 Extreme XPS 730x.

I don't know how stable it will be since it's been only about 30 minutes with these settings in the BIOS, but so far so good (crossing my fingers):

In the Overclock Configuration ---

Adjust CPU BClk (MHz)  = 160

Memory Ratio  =  10   (1600MHz memory speed in BIOS, 1616 MHz memory speed with CPU-Z)

CPU Core (Non-Turbo) Ratio  =  23  (runs at 3.7GHz)

1-4 Core CPU Turbo Ratio Limit  =  23

Turbo Mode TDC Limit Override =  180

Turbo Mode TDP Limit Override  =  200

In The Overvoltage Configuration ---

Dynamic CPU VCore Offset  =  +140mv

DDR3 Memory Voltage =  1.65V

IOH Voltage  =  1.10V

QPI and Uncore Voltage  =  +160mv   (this is the key change here - up from 'Default')

62 Posts

March 12th, 2009 16:00

Hey 3redstripes, if you read some OC forum you will find out that the it 920 and 940 chips have their memory settings locked! Only the 965 has unlocked memory setting. FYI

March 12th, 2009 22:00

I wonder if the MB used for the 965 is the same as the ones used for the 920 and 940.  I am thinking that it might be the same just difference in bios.  I'd appreciate a pic of your MB if possible.  My machine is running fine, I just wished that it wasn't locked or limited.  I paid for it, at least let me play around with the settings lol.  Worse case scenario, in a few months I will be picking up a X58 from ABit and doing my own watercool setup. 

6 Posts

March 16th, 2009 19:00

Hello everyone,

I have been waiting months to purchase the xps 730x with the i965 extreme. I have been waiting to read that dell had found a permanent fix for this rebooting issue. This turning of c-state sounds like a temporary fix. Why is there a c-state if it can just be turned off? Has dell said anything officially about this rebooting issue yet?

I am too afraid to risk purchasing one, with that possible issue. Would be bad for the my mental state of well being.

I noticed in Canada, they only offer the silver case with air cooling with the i965 not overclocked. To get the blue case & the water cooling, you have to choose the i965 overclocked to the highest overclocked setting.

Maybe I will have to take a look at the new studio xps 435 with the 24 gigs of memory. Has anyone heard any good or bad about that one?

I just want to buy a good, solid, trustworthy system. In Canada, Dell is pretty much it, if you want the warranty for inhome service.

Thanks

Rick

6 Posts

March 23rd, 2009 18:00

I've been doing the same as you Rick.  Since December:emotion-18:, I've been reading this thread.

But, I bit the bullet last week.

I've got a 730x H2C, 6GB, 2TB (2x1TB drives), 2x280's on its way with two S2209W monitors.  I had one of those discounts sent to me and they honoured it since I started talking to them before it was removed. 

If you are going to wait longer, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it. (approx: 3 weeks, because of the monitors).

It's going to replace a Dell XPS Gen 2 (Pentium 4, 3 MHZ)

Steve

Thanks so much Steve. I would really appreciate that! :emotion-1:

I looked at the studio 435 & I found it to be a little on the not so attractive side. I also felt there could be cooling issues with it, since it carried the i7 965 & 24 gigs of ram & the 4870 1gig vid card. It is much smaller then the 730x & looked a little cramped inside & air circulation could be an issue. IT also had a small PSU. (The possible heating issue is not based on facts, only my own opinion, nothing more.)   So, I still want to get the 730x.

By the time Dell assures the issue is fixed, they will be out with the Gulftown 32 NM cores & windows 7.

I cannot understand why they are now only offering the cooling unit, & a choice of color with the fully overclocked versions of the i7 965extreme? They use to offer it with all the 730x units and the i7 965 not overclocked.

Thanks again Steve. Look forward to hearing how it goes with your rig. I hope it goes extremely well for you!:emotion-1:

6 Posts

I've been doing the same as you Rick.  Since December:emotion-18:, I've been reading this thread.

But, I bit the bullet last week.

I've got a 730x H2C, 6GB, 2TB (2x1TB drives), 2x280's on its way with two S2209W monitors.  I had one of those discounts sent to me and they honoured it since I started talking to them before it was removed. 

If you are going to wait longer, I'll let you know how it goes when I get it. (approx: 3 weeks, because of the monitors).

It's going to replace a Dell XPS Gen 2 (Pentium 4, 3 MHZ)

Steve

2 Posts

Hi, I am pretty frustrated. My XPS 730x H2C arrived after weeks of delay and it wasn't overclocked. So i did it on my own and spent hours with the service center, but they couldn't help until i found here in this forum the answer.

But not enough with this, now I have this problem. There are random system shutdowns nearly once a day. This is independent of the overclocking. Did anybody get an answer, what is wrong with these systems?

Thanks!

8 Posts

April 4th, 2009 17:00

Hello,

Here is my less favourable update:

I purchased my XPS in January.  Its problem with random shut downs was immediately identified.  After having all the main components replaced and reinstalling the OS multiple times, upgrading to the newer OS, and disabling/configuring the BIOS as instructed, I am left with a computer that still shuts down randomly but usually within 30-60 seconds.  Thanks to the last parts replacement, several of the USB ports no longer work either.

It is now April.  The promised tech people have not contacted me as promised on three separate occasions over the past month.  Every time I call I am told they are aware of my case and will contact me.  I don't think this is fair or reasonable to have a nonfunctional computer for over two months that was identified as nonfunctional the day I received it.  I was told it wouldn't be replaced because the problem might exist with the replacement computer as well.  That doesn't seem to stop Dell continuing to sell this same computer to new buyers.

It is time to be reasonable here:  refund my money or replace my computer with one that works.  Three months with a new system that has NEVER worked is ridiculous. 

I wish I had seen this forum before my purchase.  But more importantly I wish Dell would do the right thing and provide the support that convinced most of us to buy their product in the first place.

Fullcode

XPS 730X i7

72 Posts

April 6th, 2009 17:00

I know I'm sounding like a broken record here, but have you disabled 'C-State Tech'?

For the moment, it is Dell's OFFICIAL temporary solution to the rebooting issue.  Click on the link below for details.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&docid=633E7C1061E62268E040AE0AB7E16BED&journalid=66E5D4950B8FDD9FE040AE0AB8E12F2F&l=en&s=gen

I had the random reboots as well before disabling C-State Tech....it's been nearly 2 1/2 months (since late January) and not a single reboot.

Disabling C-State Tech WORKS!  

Replacing parts and all that is just wasting your time and their time......it won't make a difference unless you get a replacement motherboard with an updated BIOS (1.0.1), other than that.......

127 Posts

April 6th, 2009 18:00

Gee, Chris... would this apply to my 720H2c that will not run with the memory "factory overclocked" to 1066 that I have to back down as well? I'd be glad to send you my service tag if you could help in any way.

I would love to have someone with common sense look at my situation. the first Dell rep tried to send me an H2C unit to cool my memory (I have the emails to prove it) and the second has now sent me new memory even after I told them I'd tested it extensively at 1066 and it works fine, just not in this machine...  I spent hours on the phone the first month I had the machine, then just downclocked it...

Little help here?

2 Posts

April 6th, 2009 19:00

I am not sure about that. You can buy DELL, but you have to do a lot of your own research. When you disable 'C-State Tech', the system works without problems and sudden reboots.

Honestly, I don't understand, why nobody in DELL's support desk is aware about this setting or how to properly overclock the system. To call the support desk is useless. i guess, it's better to spend some time searching the internet.

That's the really sad part.

1 Message

April 14th, 2009 19:00

I just finished correcting this very problem.  Every time I starting running any kind of complex software (e.g. games), it would suddenly shut down.  At first they thought it might be a cooling issue, but it turned out to be a power problem.  Specifically, a lack of it. 

When spending this amount of money on a high end computer, most people choose to protect their investment with a surge protector/UPS.  This is what I did.  Unfortunately, Dell sold me a Belkin UPS that only had a 750 watt capacity.  The XPS 730x draws close to 1000 watts when running high end graphic applications.  To fix the problem, I had to purchase a Smart-UPS SC 1000 (1000 W).  While I am not pleased that Dell sold me a UPS that was too small for the computer, I am thrilled that my computer now operates properly. 

If you do not have it plugged into a UPS, you can still experience the same problem with a surge protector.  So make sure any surge protector/power bar you use, will allow the 1000 W draw through it.  If you find the surge protector is too small and you can't afford to buy a new one right away, try plugging the computer directly into the wall.  This should work until you can obtain the proper capacity surge protection device.

Disabling the C-State Tech, as mentioned above, is also a good idea.

April 16th, 2009 12:00

I just finished correcting this very problem.  Every time I starting running any kind of complex software (e.g. games), it would suddenly shut down.  At first they thought it might be a cooling issue, but it turned out to be a power problem.  Specifically, a lack of it. 

When spending this amount of money on a high end computer, most people choose to protect their investment with a surge protector/UPS.  This is what I did.  Unfortunately, Dell sold me a Belkin UPS that only had a 750 watt capacity.  The XPS 730x draws close to 1000 watts when running high end graphic applications.  To fix the problem, I had to purchase a Smart-UPS SC 1000 (1000 W).  While I am not pleased that Dell sold me a UPS that was too small for the computer, I am thrilled that my computer now operates properly. 

If you do not have it plugged into a UPS, you can still experience the same problem with a surge protector.  So make sure any surge protector/power bar you use, will allow the 1000 W draw through it.  If you find the surge protector is too small and you can't afford to buy a new one right away, try plugging the computer directly into the wall.  This should work until you can obtain the proper capacity surge protection device.

Disabling the C-State Tech, as mentioned above, is also a good idea.

Welcome Grey17,

While I like the idea that the UPS may not have enough power to keep the 730x running , I wonder about not enough VA causing a reboot when you are not on the UPS battery... The C-State Tech has worked for me from the day I read that solution here. FWIW , following your logic you should still have the problem , the APC Smart-UPS SC 1000 has 1000VA but only 600 watts... Of course these are max values and not steady state values , but our video cards do draw the current...Now not having a large enough amp circuit/breaker at the breaker box that powers/monitors you wall outlet which powers the 730x could cause a problem , but the breaker would trip as evidence. I run a 40 amp circuit to my computer room outlet and use a 1500va ups and the only solution was the C-state Tech...

April 22nd, 2009 19:00

Hello,

Just whant to tell my history with Dell:

May 2008: I've got the xps 720 H20: Directly when i got it. I got blue screens. Contacted dell and after 2week i got a new pc the xps 730 H20.

On january 2009 the H20 of my pc starts leeking and fries my pc. I had to wait till last week to get a new system now I have the xps 730x i7.

Like everybody ont his topic. It freezes randomly and alsow always when you do the windows prestation index thing it freezes when it checks for the Aero stuff.
And C-state is disabeld..

So who whants to buy my xps 730x ??

6 Posts

April 24th, 2009 14:00

Well Rick.  I've had it since Tuesday of this week.

It is currently sitting on my desk with only the basics (one monitor, network) so I can transfer info from my previous XPS Gen 2.

It's been running fine ever since.  I've got Office 2007 along with the urgent updates of Windows Vista and the dell software and utilities (Alienware, Thermal) installed.

It's real impressive.

Now the real work will be coming.  I've noticed that the CPU is not overclocked from factory (it's running at 3.2 instead of 3.7)  I will testing out a few games on it next.

Bios is 1.0.0 from factory and the c-state came disabled from factory too.

I'll let you know if anything weird happens after I complete my transfer of the beasts into its new home (the XPS Gen 2 current location) when I transfer my XPS Gen 2 to my Wife's desk!

Steve

No Events found!