Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

December 18th, 2008 07:00

XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

Hello,

I have a XPS 730x H2C and I it will lose power (reboot) at seemingly random times.  There are no errors reported in “event viewer” and no "blue or red screens" are generated (it just power resets) and I’m at a loss on how to diagnose this problem.   I have checked the temperatures via the Dell thermal application and they seem to run from about 70 to 81 degrees Fahrenheit.  I have also made sure all the drivers are the latest versions.

I resorted to reinstalling the OS (Vista 64 bit) and it seemed better but last night started re-booting on its own again.  It may be a particular software install (e.g. virus scanner?) as I’m slowly adding software back on it but I have not put my finger on it yet.  Is any one else having this problem or have ideas on how to figure out the problem?

Below  are the machine specs:

XPS 730X H2C - Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme - Level 2 (Factory O/C'd to 3.73GHz)
RAM - 6GB Tri-Channel DDR3 at 1066MHZ (3x2GB DIMM)
Video - ATI Radeon HD4870X2 2048MB
Hard Drive - 750GB - SATA-II, 3GB/S, 7200RPM, 16MB Cache
Floppy Drive and Media Reader --
Dell 19-in-1 Media Card Reader with Bluetooth 2.0
Windows Vista® 64-bit Home Premium (English) Service Pack 1

Thanks!

6 Posts

April 25th, 2009 23:00

Hi Steve,

I will definately keep my fingers crossed.:emotion-1:  I have still not purchased the 730x as of yet. Still waiting for firm assurance that this reboot issue has been resolved, with a permanent fix, not jsut a temp. one.

By the time I get to getting it, windows 7 will be out & intel would have distributed their upcoming 32nm processor.

I want to get everything top notch with it, being I will not purchase another for a few years. That will cost a lot more then their base prices. I do not mind spending the money on a reputable system, not one that will give me unwanted ulsers.

Thank you for keeping me updated & I wish you the very best with the system.

Please keep let me know, once you have transferred. I really appreciate it.

Take care & have a great week Steve!

Rick

53 Posts

April 29th, 2009 22:00

Since BIOS 1.0.2 has come out the other day, does it fix this problem?

I have not yet downloaded it.  I am waiting to hear some of the reviews first.

6 Posts

April 30th, 2009 17:00

I haven't tried it yet.  It is interesting to note that the "Dell Support Center" does not show this update as a new "alert".  So, I can't tell what its significance is.  However, it is tagged as a "recommended" level of importance.

One thing I don't see are the BIOS release notes.  Any idea where I can see those? 

2 Posts

May 1st, 2009 06:00

I loaded the new 1.0.2 bios on my machine yesterday morning (early).  It's changed the graphics displayed at POST, and a new progress bar.  I have not looked to see what the C-State is set at yet...(Been buzy)  But I did get a random reboot this morning playing World of Warcraft that I had never gotten since I've own the machine.  (Delivered 10 April) It doesn't appear to POST any faster either.  Still testing.

My System:
XPS 730x
I940 (Air cooled)
Radeon 4870 X2
6 Gigs RAM
2 Terabytes Harddrive (1 TBx2 RAID 0)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 (I know...could be part of the problem.)
Trend Micro Internet Security
Alienware 1.0.31.0
XPS Thermal Monitor
ATI Catalyst v. 2009.0317.2131.36802

52 Posts

May 1st, 2009 06:00

I just downloaded and installed the new Bios, then I enabled the C-State. The computer started rebooting and I had to disable it again. I just can't believe that Dell can't get these computers to work properly

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 1st, 2009 08:00

The new bios disabled c-state. Leave it off.

6 Posts

May 1st, 2009 10:00

Hey Chris.  Do you have the release notes for the new bios? 

The download site makes reference to it but there are none provided as far as I can tell.

Maybe they are provided after you install the update I am not sure.

Steve

May 1st, 2009 18:00

Hello,

I just whant to lett every body know. When i installed the new bios update. it crasht after 2%. And now my computer doesn't whant to go on any more. Dell is coming to replease my motherboard on monday.

If i tell the technical support about the problems and if theye read the forum they would see that I'am not the only one. They tell me that they aren't notest about tis problem, and everything we tell here they don't take inaccount to do something about it.

7 Posts

May 8th, 2009 16:00

Even with the new update this issue is still happing to my system.

And if anyone knows the number to north American tech center can you plz tell me it as i am tired of hearing the script readers in India tell me what i already know. 

May 8th, 2009 18:00

Hello everybody,

On my computer dell solved the problem, by replacing my motherboard and my CPU.

Everything works perfect now.

2 Posts

May 8th, 2009 19:00

An update on my system.  I've continued to have random reboots up until Tuesday, when I downloaded and installed Windows 7 rc1.  My system has been smooth as silk ever since.  3 days now with no reboots. 

7 Posts

May 9th, 2009 13:00

I can confirm this i did the upgrade to Win 7 rc1 64 and no shutdowns so far will need to keep testing as they are to random to rule out just yet but this is still no fix there is a issue some were with these systems

7 Posts

May 9th, 2009 22:00

This is still happing after more test looks like it has not gone away with Win 7

Looks to be giving this error in the app log from source WMI

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

May 23rd, 2009 11:00

Anyone have issues with disk performance aka thrashing in Vista x64 with the 730x H2C when alt tabbing out of games.  EG:  In World in Conflict, if I alt tab out of the game, the computer freezes up for a while and I'm waiting for minutes just to get to desktop.  I had the 720 H2C before and it ran the game much better in Vista 32 bit.  I could alt tab and instantly be back on desktop.

I've tried disabling indexing, superfetch, turned on performance settings in advanced system properties (turns off all vista aero features).  I've monitored my system in resource monitor and the weak link appears to be the disk.  I am running a RAID 1, but from what I read, this should only have a minimal impact on performance.

I'm thinking of installing the game on the hard drive not in the raid for testing and maybe even install it on the 3rd hard drive under XP as 2nd boot.  For a 4,000 machine and 1 year newer, I would expect better performance than the 720 H2C.

System seems to be fairly stable once Dell turned off c-state and removed the thermal monitor software.  Lately, I have been crashing out in WIC, but just updated the latest drivers for video and that may have fixed issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2009 13:00

You may contact the contact the XPS Hardware Support team -
USA 1-800-232-8544
USA Specialized Care 1-800-964-8321

No Events found!