owl4595
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 730x H2C loses power / resets / reboots "randomly"...

In regards to my last post, nevermind.  Although it does play longer without resetting it will eventually...  @#$!

Richsi
1 Nickel

Well the Dell Tech finally showed up after 5 days, twice cancelling his appointment because they were behind and again because he was too busy. Came on SAT. (1/3/09) and replaced the motherboard and CPU. The scary part is he had never seen this computer before and it would be his first time inside one. I had printed out the service manual just in case he was new to this system and I guessed right. I ended up helping him change the board and cpu, didn't want to but I felt if I wanted it back in one piece I needed to be there with him. Believe it or not it didn't take that long about 45 mins. The unit comes apart pretty nicely its designed and built very well for serving the motherboard and cpu. The rest of the system is less accessible like DVD drives, power supply, control boards and some fans. Well to get the heart of the matter the replacement parts "DID NOT WORK". One point I would like to make if you go decide to mess with the computer, take pictures of the "BIOS Settings" all of them. That saved my life because the Dell Tech didn't have a clue! Neither does the Tech Support Team from Dell in Florida. I got the bios back to factory and I still get the random shut down while Playing COD4 and MS Fight Simulator. The XPS Thermo Monitor software crashes the computer when launched in about 2 to 3 mins very consistantly. Now what? I will take a break today on Sunday and call Dell Tech Support to see if they have learned anything new these last few days. From what I see I'm sure the haven't because their systems don't seem to interconnect or share information. Maybe I will get lucky and find a Tech who solved this problem (not really just hoping). I have made the decision if not solved tomorrow the computer will be returned for a "FULL Refund". I will not ask or accept a replacement computer since in the replacement of a motherboard and CPU is pretty much a new computer by some standards. The computer still makes the warning signal when loaded down with processing the COD4 game, I wish I could describe the sound better to you but its hard to ignore, about 70db or so from the computer, I don't know if its from the CPU or GPU, at this point I really don't care.  I am truely disappointed with Dell I like this Computer a lot but they don't seem to acknowledge that it has serious issues. I will get my refund and go buy a gaming computer from a local vendor close by me at least I can take it to them instead of waiting for Dell Tech's and FEDEX. I wish Dell would read this forum because you guys have some serious problems with this computer (XPS 730X H2C, Extreme 965 i7 process with ATI 4870x2 GPU) My advise to anyone considering this machine "DON'T Buy it" you will be sorry. I will be providing a review on the Dell web site under the XPS gaming order site, wonder if it will be removed it won't be pleasant!

Richsi
1 Nickel

A question to "pat51"...did you have to pay for shipping back as well as insurance for it? I read in their "Return Policy" that the customer is responible for shipping and insurance when shipping back a returned computer is that true? (hope not, they won't hear the last of it if this is true!

pat51
1 Nickel

I had technical support document the complaint with a case number. I then called customer care and referenced that number. They sent me to a resolution "expert" who eventually provided the free shipping and no restocking charge permission. UPS was the shipper and Dell never mentioned anything about insurance. They picked it up at our house. YOu had to be VERY clear that this is what you expected from the beginning. Since this was the second machine that we had shipped back for the same reason ... and we had spent many hours trying to solve the problem with Dell, we got a $75 certificate towards another Dell purchase. Nothing else even after talking to a "supervisor".

It is CLEAR that our 730x OC'd to 3.7 isn't working ... and Dell continues to sell the product. Just before boxing the 2nd unit for return and after we removed all softwear that we had put on ...it shut down suddenly again while I was just browsing the Dell site for any last bit of information about a fix for our problem. How ironic ... what a message. I'm considering the 920 or 940 because thay aren't oc'c. I noticed that the Dell mother board only accommodates 3 dimm sockets for an apparent max of 6 gigs of memory. Alienware has 6 and can be configured for 12 gigs. The Dell mother board isn't as expandable ... and the 730X 3.2 OC'd to 3.7 doesn't work for unknown reasons as documented in this forum. Dell's only response is to accept return rather than fix the problem. Please keep us updated. We WANT to purchase a Dell that works. THe more widely that this is posted ... perhaps the greater chance that someone will responsibly react at Dell to help us regain confidence in the company and product line.

Please keep us all posted.   DELL HELP ... PLEASE!

Chris_Mixon
2 Iron

All,

Please private message me your service tag numbers. Has everyone backed the CPU down to 26 multiplier as owl4505 did to see if the PC would run longer?

According to the dell.com site: Dell warrants the full functionality of your system at factory overclocked settings. Overclocking beyond factory settings may cause system instability and reduce the operating life of your system components.  So what is factory overclocked settings for this system?

owl4595
1 Nickel

Hi all,

I spoke with tech support and I am running the "Preboot System Assessment" now (located under the F12 boot option).  It is supposed to take a few hours.  I will let you know if it finds anything, etc.  I'm not sure if anyone else has tried this yet...

cbras9
1 Nickel

I have almost the same setup and mine is 2days old doing the same thing, I do have the GTX 280 video card installed

owl4595
1 Nickel

Here is the link that shows the official overclocked settings.  I'm assuming that is what you were asking...

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=5BE87875B6CB8DA1E040AE0AB7E115F4&journalid=5DAE85A31B4EF76AE040AE0AB5E14031&Query=&SystemID=&ServiceTag=&contenttype=-1&os=-1&component=-1&lang=-1&doclang=en&toggle=false

Richsi
1 Nickel

OK Chris, I sent you a private message about my Tag number hope you got it. This is what's up to this point for me. I called the Dell Tech Team and talked to "BILL"! Bill is the man, knows his stuff and was very helpful. The problem is not resolved so don't get excited yet. They figure along with his tier two lever guys is that there is something wrong with the sealed "Cooling Unit". Some how reporting a fault when the system starts to get stressed with the COD4 game or the XPS Thermo Monitor Program and just sends a signal to shutdown the computer. Now this sounds intelligent and on the right track I figure at least. The problem with me is that if this is the case the units they are shipping are defective and I don't want any part of it. I paid way to much money to spent my valuable time troubleshooting, worrying, waiting for a Dell Tech to show up, nope tired of it. I have arranged to return the computer with no cost to me and a full refund....THANK YOU DELL FOR THAT! It was fairly painless too, thank GOD!

Chris in my message I told you I had the bio in my computer set back to defaults after the MOB (motherboard) and CPU was changed out. The computer still failed with no overclocking of any kind. Besides which I would never consider that a fix is Dell said Factory Overclocking was included in the sale and warranty, just doesn't make sense to me!

Well goodluck to all, I may buy a Dell sometime in the Future but I don't think its a lock. To many other GOOD gaming systems out there, Dell just doesn't have it right yet! I will keep checking the forum and if anyone wants to contact me feel free too. If your going to buy a new Dell you may want to think twice about the "HIGH END" XPS!