Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2015 12:00

XPS 8100 - How many Hard drives? Installing an SSD?

Hi, I keep running out of space on this PC because my Windows was installed on a 60gb C drive, I make sure to install all my programs on the 2TB D drive but C drive still gets filled up anyway over time. About 3 years ago I tried to merge them together but no luck.

So I was wondering how many hard drives are in this PC? Is it the one 2TB hard drive split into two partitions? or is it two separate hard drives?

Right clicking My Computer > Manage >  Disk Management, I can see my hard drive information:

Disk 0 - (D:) 1800.00GB

Disk 1 is split into 3 partitions - a small one at 86mb, RECOVERY at 9.90gb, OS (C:) 53.03gb.

When I turn on my PC though, during boot up, before Windows, it seems to say two drives at around 930gb. So I'm confused what my set up is when it comes to hard drives.

If it is two separate hard drives, and one of them is a small 60gb one, I was thinking it might be a good idea to replace that with an SSD if anyone knows the best way of upgrading to one on this PC? Thanks for your time.

2.3K Posts

August 15th, 2015 15:00

Has your computer always been like that?  It doesn't look like something Dell would do, however I will say there could be a BIOS limitation on the HDD which caused them to split the drive into 2 - 1TB drives, but I honestly do not know where the 60 gig drive would come from.  Does your computer come with a Cache SSD maybe?  

In regards to upgrading to an SSD you can do that and just put it in like you would a normal HDD as they run off the same BUS and stuff.  You will need to get a bracket to lock it into one of the slots as SSDs are laptop drive sized and not desktop drive sized.  Or you can back up your data, create a restore disc if you haven't already, wipe everything and start over.  Dell's backup and recovery stuff should partition and format the drive to what it should be on the 2 TB drive.  

12 Posts

August 15th, 2015 21:00

Hi, thanks for replying. Yep, been like that ever since the day I got it, doing a search on here I've seen a few others that had the same problem as me, I read someone suggest it was a mistake or something, and that newer computers aren't set up this way, which is great because this 60gb has been annoying me for quite a while.

To be honest I'm not sure if it's a cache SSD, I really don't think so considering my PC takes about 5 minutes to load up.

Thanks for the SSD info, done a bit of research into them before and saw that they are smaller and need a bracket, I saw a number of things though about needing to change settings, and people having problems with booting because a certain partition is only on the drive that comes with the PC, something Dell has done, so I was a bit worried about getting one.

Though thanks for telling me about Dell's backup and recovery software, I've used it to make a disc in the past, but I didn't know it could deal with partitions, I just tried to use what was built in to Windows but no luck. Having a look at Dell's Backup software I can't see any mention of partitions, I'll later look into updating the software in case that's what's wrong. But if you mean doing a factory restore using Dell's software would automatically make it the one 2tb partition, I did that 3 years ago and all it did was format the C drive to how the PC was the day I got it, and still at 60gb.

Thanks again.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2015 08:00

Somethings not right, try to make the Recovery Media as a 16 GB Bootable USB with Dell Backup and Recovery 1.8.1.72:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

Then proceed with the upgrade to Windows 10 so your device becomes a Windows 10 device. After that Clean Reinstall Windows 10 and set up the partitions correctly:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/a-clean-install-of-windows-10/

Installing a SSD before the Clean Reinstallation will be worthwhile.

12 Posts

August 16th, 2015 08:00

Thanks for all this, having a quick look through the guides and coming across the Junctions section, my programs do tend to put user folders in my C drive, even when the program is installed in D, though I only figured this out because of the lack of storage in the first place, it probably wouldn't even be a big deal with a bigger SSD, but it's still really useful information that I don't think most people know about.

Even though in your guide it says to uninstall 'Dell Backup and Recovery', mine is called 'Dell DataSafe Local Backup', I take it that needs to be uninstalled? Just making sure in case I get rid of my recovery stuff altogether.

At first I wanted to install Windows 10 after it's been released for a little bit and some of the launch bugs are fixed, but with hearing about this privacy stuff, and using PC's to download stuff, I'm currently put off with installing Windows 10, but I'm glad I have a guide at least I can look to if I need it.

Thanks for your help.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2015 11:00

Yes this guide focussed primarily on Windows 8.1, earlier Windows 7 systems had Dell DataSafe Local Backup which is essentially the older version of Dell Backup and Recovery.

No Events found!