Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

May 26th, 2012 08:00

XPS 8100 Realtek sound problem

I am having a problem with the sound on my XPS 8100 and Realtek. When I play something like Pandora the sound will periodically warble or stutter. I am using he latest drivers from the Dell homepage for my system and they are dated 1/25/2011. I assume their might be some later drivers but the Realtek page cautions against using drivers that are not from Dell. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 26th, 2012 12:00

Hi Gilgamesch,

Does this happen only for streaming audio?

54 Posts

May 27th, 2012 08:00

I have not really played anything that is downloaded onto my computer so I have to say that right now it only happens with streaming audio like Pandora or if I am watching a web based video like a TV show.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 28th, 2012 05:00

Here are the most recent drivers, version A01.

Streaming sound problems can be caused by many factors, so the best way to diagnose a sound problem is to use files on the hard drive.

May 28th, 2012 09:00

Does this happen while playing Windows Music - from My Music folder? Like Bethoven etc..

Try VLC instead of Media Player.

Try to clean the audio jack and reinsert into the audio ports.

Try to boot into Hardware diagnostics -> Instructions are given by Osprey - How to Run Dell Diagnostics -> Custom Test -> Run Analog Audio Playback test see if you get the stutter / warble, if you get the noise there as well Contact Tech support.

Let me know the status after each step

54 Posts

May 28th, 2012 15:00

Thanks for the advice. I will run the diagnostic program and see if anything turns up as well as trying to play some files directly from the HD. The problem started when I updated the Realtek drives with the latest version listed on the Dell software update site for my system. That is why I was wondering if there might be a later version that might fix the problem.

54 Posts

May 30th, 2012 09:00

I ran the hardware tests and there were no problems. One thing I have noticed is that when I get the sound problem the entire computer will momentarily freeze.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 30th, 2012 16:00

Do you want to try this older version of the driver?

Your result on the diagnostics does indicate that this is probably a driver problem. I'm running the A01 6.0.1.6299 version with no problems.

54 Posts

May 31st, 2012 08:00

I checked and I am running the same driver so I guess I am current in that area. It is not a major issue but I hope at some point I can come up with a solution.

No Events found!