stargazer424
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 8100 general, delivery, delays, hardware questions and discussions

Anyone else get their first delay notice?  Ordered my 8100 the day after they were released, 1/8. Original EDD 2/3. Emailed today with delay notice. New EDD 2/10.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
z06psi
2 Iron

Yeah Just Purchased my Xps 8100 on the 08/01/10

StudioXPS 8100 : Intel Core i7 Processor 860 (2.80GHz, 8MB)

Memory : 8192MB (4x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Hard Drive : 2TB (2x1TB) Serial ATA Non Raid (7200RPM)Dual HDD

Optical Drive : 16X DVD+/-RW Drive & DVD Rom Drive (Win 7 Only)

Graphics Card - Single 1.8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Wireless : Network 1525 (802.11 n) PCIe Card

Operating System : English Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)

Display : 21.5in SX2210 (1920x1080) with TrueLife HDMI Webcam

Est time of delivery 12th Feb 2010 emoticon.Surprise.title  I think the guy i was speaking to on the phone was saying something about the 1.8 Nvidia graphic card not being in stock hence the delay. I'm also a bit worried now cos the same guy also said that if you upgrade to 2TB then there isn't enough space for dual dvd drives.

Oh your gonna like that. Mine is similar except I replaced the RAM with Corsair dominator and the PSU for a stronger one.  Very fast system.

XPS8000, Intel DP55BS MB, i7 860@3.6Ghz w Zallman 9700 cooler, 1TBx2 RAID, Intel X25MG2 SSD, ASUS EAH HD5870, 8GB 1600 Corsair XMS Dominator, 3008WFP, Ultra Gold 550 Win7 x64

0 Kudos
willseke
1 Copper

[quote user="willseke"]

Yeah Just Purchased my Xps 8100 on the 08/01/10

StudioXPS 8100 : Intel Core i7 Processor 860 (2.80GHz, 8MB)

Memory : 8192MB (4x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel

Hard Drive : 2TB (2x1TB) Serial ATA Non Raid (7200RPM)Dual HDD

Optical Drive : 16X DVD+/-RW Drive & DVD Rom Drive (Win 7 Only)

Graphics Card - Single 1.8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260

Wireless : Network 1525 (802.11 n) PCIe Card

Operating System : English Genuine Windows 7 Ultimate (64 BIT)

Display : 21.5in SX2210 (1920x1080) with TrueLife HDMI Webcam

Est time of delivery 12th Feb 2010 emoticon.Surprise.title  I think the guy i was speaking to on the phone was saying something about the 1.8 Nvidia graphic card not being in stock hence the delay. I'm also a bit worried now cos the same guy also said that if you upgrade to 2TB then there isn't enough space for dual dvd drives.

Oh your gonna like that. Mine is similar except I replaced the RAM with Corsair dominator and the PSU for a stronger one.  Very fast system.

[/quote]

Oh yeah, Love the machine it is super fast and a dream to use. Everything just loads so smoothly. The boot up and shut down time is done in seconds.

In terms of delivery I placed the order online on the 8th Jan 10, received a confirmation email next day saying est delivery would be for 12th Feb.

I actually received it on the 21st Jan. I got the automatic call from the courier service saying that it would arrive on the 20th jan but there was a mess up and it got delayed by a day.

Just a quick tip, the tracking system on the dell site does not seem to work properly. I had to call the courier service who then gave me the correct number

0 Kudos
stargazer424
1 Nickel

How did you get yours BEFORE the EDD? My system isn't too off from yours.  Same processor, same optical drive, less ram, got the 500gig HD and the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5. No monitor and no wireless.

0 Kudos
willseke
1 Copper

Well I called them up and they said that the reason for the long EDD was bcos the 1.8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 which i wanted added was out of stock and once it arrived they would ship earlier.

I'm also in the UK London if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
lbjhayes
1 Copper

I got first delay today also, no email, but the status changed on the order.  Was Feb 4, 2010, now Feb 11, 2010.

I have not called to see why the delay. I did not upgrade to the GTS 260, just kept the G-310 figuring I would upgrade when it arrived.

No they don't even list the G310 as on option. And In the US, if you go to the web page is now says Call for latest price on the Studio XPS Desktop page.

They did the same thing on the XPS 8000 at the first of the year.  I was really hoping Dell has learned a lesson with the 8000 and would have fixed it with the 8100.

I will give it another week and if delayed again will probably cancel.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Raymond_nl
1 Nickel

I ordered a XPS8000 on 12-28-2009. I waited for two weeks and called several times but eventually the order was cancelled by Dell. 😞  The 8000 was no longer available. They offered me a XPS8100 instead which i received on 26-01-2010. Almost a month, but the machine is configured with the specs i chose for the 8000. And as i had such a delay they added an extra blu ray drive. So that's OK... I like the 8100 so far 🙂

So far so good. Only downside is that the processor fan (i7) is making some noise every now and then. 

0 Kudos
willseke
1 Copper

So far so good. Only downside is that the processor fan (i7) is making some noise every now and then. 

Really??? I'm constantly having to look down and make sure the Pc hasn't shut itself down cos its so quiet lol Kudos to you on the free blu ray drive

0 Kudos
Raymond_nl
1 Nickel

Ok... I called dell support today and they told me that i'm not the only one that mentioned this problem. The processor fan speed increases evry minute to appr. 3500RPM for only 1 second then goes back to normal. It also does this when the system is idle. Even when it's just started up. Oh even when i'n in the biosscreen.

What are your specs? i do have the i7 and the A03 bios firmwre version. Maybe there's something else going on in my machine. i have no clue... The Dell fan test reported no problems.

DaiB
1 Copper

Hi

I placed an 8000 order on the web in the UK on 29 Dec. It was delayed and then cancelled when Dell ran out of bits. Charged my CC though but finally got that back! I immedateltyl re-ordered an 8100 on 27 Jan which was shipped on 29 Jan - wow. Received it on 2 Feb. Working fine currently except today it refused to recognise a parallel port PCI card I just added; Device Manager doesn't show it so that's that. Could be the card or the 8100 system itself? PC is whisper quiet and no fan problems despite the high-end Radeon HD 5700 series graphics card fitted. Disappointed that Windows 7 start-up is as slow as XP on my previous Core Duo. This is with a core i7 and 8GB. I thought Microsoft had worked on start-up speed but obviously there is still far too much code to load.

0 Kudos