Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2015 10:00

XPS 8300/8500/8700, video cards

As with a lot of people who seem to come here to see what cards do and don't work with XPS systems. I thought a definitive list should be put together. I myself have browsed this forum many times searching for what cards are compatible with certain XPS systems and there never really is a definitive answer on what ones people have managed to get working. For instance people said the GTX 6 series had trouble posting. I read on this very forum that it worked from a few people. So i bought one (Gigabyte GTX 660 2gb Windforce OC) and it worked. Updated to A06 Bios before hand. Anyway with that in mind, i think we should make a list of ones that work. So, state the system and model you have, the manufacturer of the card and what the card actually is. Once we get a nice list going i will compile the answers into this post for people who are searching for answers such as my self. Lately I've been browsing to see the compatibility of the GTX 970 with the XPS 8300 and have heard tentative results. Someone said about sticking to EVGA and Gigabyte. Its an expensive plunge to take if its not going to work. Could anyone advise?

Dell XPS 8300

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2048 MB Windforce OC GDDR5 192-Bit

Dell XPS 8500

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW Signature 2 2048MB GDDR5 192-Bit

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5 256bit

Dell XPS 8700

138 Posts

August 25th, 2016 11:00

If a given graphics card manufacturer fails to account for the Legacy interface in the graphics card's BIOS, in terms of compatibility with the PC's BIOS, that graphics card may/will not pass POST.  Thus, only some of the available R9 380 cards may work on the XPS 8300.

Sapphire evidently designed the graphics card BIOS for the R9 380 such that it would be compatible with various PC systems that did not support UEFI.  I.e., it provided a dual BIOS, both for UEFI and for Legacy systems.  

If your R9 380 card is from a different manufacturer, I suggest that you search the internet to see if you can find any reports that your card works in an XPS 8300.  If not, your graphics card may simply be incompatible with some or all PC systems operating in Legacy mode.

For example, an ASUS R9 380 is one of the cards that is reported NOT to work with an XPS 8300, apparently because it has only a UEFI BIOS:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2754978/problem-dell-xps-8300-gpu.html

Bottom line:  to avoid becoming a pioneer (arrows in the back and all), it is perhaps best to choose a specific graphics card, by manufacturer and model number, that is reported to work with the XPS 8300.

5 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 14:00

This thread still seems to have useful information in it, so feel I may as well contribute a bit here.

I have performed many upgrades to my XPS 8300 over the years now, so much so that the only original parts left are the motherboard and CPU.

Most recently I've added the EVGA Nvidia GTX 1070 SC (model: 08G-P4-6173-KB) and can confirm it works with the Dell 0Y2MRG motherboard.

HOWEVER! I can't provide any info on how well it would fit in the original case, because I wasn't kidding when I said "the *only* original parts are the motherboard and CPU". Not even the case is original anymore. I replaced that and the power supply about 6 months back when I decided I wanted to add another optical drive and hard drive, and throw in a network card and USB 3.0 card in the PCI slots (my network jack has been broken since I got the PC, but I could never justify the shipping cost to get it replaced so I never used it). I was very concerned about how well the then 5-year-old 460W PSU would hold up with all of the new devices plus the 8-10 USB devices I use regularly. I thought it was a good idea to splurge a bit and get a top-tier PSU, which required a new case because the new PSU wouldn't quite fit lengthwise in the old one!

So yes, the card works with the BIOS, but I have no idea how well it would work with the stock power supplies and case. I'd recommend probably upgrading that PSU before trying...

EDIT: for those interested, I have run a benchmark with my current components for anyone else who loves this sort of detailed data: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1739097

4 Posts

September 23rd, 2016 15:00

Guys, My XPS 8300 with all original parts work perfectly with ZOTAC GTX 1060. The previoulsy was GTX 760 OC Gigabyte (a beast in terms of energy consumption)

1.2K Posts

September 23rd, 2016 20:00

EDIT: for those interested, I have run a benchmark with my current components for anyone else who loves this sort of detailed data: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1739097

Thanks for the benchmark.

I just re-ran my non-dell 4790K / GTX 970 and here it is for comparison.

http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/1740664

Clearly the 1070 kills the 970.

Don't look at the percentages, look at the actual values and you can see the differences.

FWIW, today, the CPU is at 4.5Ghz on all cores under load.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

December 13th, 2016 13:00

I just installed an EVGA gtx 1060 SC 6GB graphics card (06G-P4-6163-KR) in my XPS 8300 (0Y2MRG motherboard, 460W power supply, and BIOS A06) and it works perfectly! My XPS 8300 has not been modified, it still has the original DELL parts in it. The graphics card is working very well. I am running with 1920 X 1080 resolution, and with the games that I have tried so far, I can turn up the graphics settings to max and have very high frame rates.

This is a great upgrade that I would recommend to anyone looking to upgrade their XPS 8300 (without having to change the power supply or anything else). I am very happy!

No Events found!