Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2014 12:00

XPS 8300 Beep Code: 3 Beeps = Chipset error

Hello

My PC is giving me 3 beeps when I try to boot it. According to the manual, this means "Possible system board failure - Chipset error". I don't know what this means or what to do about it.

At the end of an automated Dell support centre scan (I think it was a scan and not an update) My computer froze and then the clocks reset to 0. I switched it off the rebooted it, but not in safe mode. I then decided to try to reboot it in safe mode. It was at this point that I got the 3 beep code.

Can anyone give me any help/advice on what to do about this?

cheers

Justin

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 13:00

Try clearing BIOS:

1. Power off and unplug
  2. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
  3. Open case and remove motherboard battery
  4. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
  5. Use canned air to blow out the dust bunnies
  6. Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!)*
  7. Close the case and see if it boots with only mouse, monitor and keyboard connected

*If battery is more than ~2-3 years old, this might be a good time to install a fresh one. CR2032 lithium ion coin cell battery, ~US$2.00 at discount stores.

Hi Ron

Thanks for the advice. It's pretty similar to the advice I found here:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1838622/dell-studio-xps-8300-beeps-startup.html

I unplugged everything and then pressed and held the power button a couple of times. It seems to be working again now (I'm logged in and typing this!), but fingers cross it will keep on working. 

Thanks for the battery advice. I think I'll look into that this weekend.

cheers

Justin

Hi Justin,

3 beeps indicate motherboard failure. Please let me know if the system is in warranty to help you further.

Hi Shrikanth

My warranties all expired in 2012 :(

cheers

Justin

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

July 23rd, 2014 14:00

:emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

Now that it's working again and before you replace the battery:

1. Back up your personal files on external media asap
  2. Open BIOS setup (reboot and press F2). Copy all current BIOS settings. When you replace the battery, BIOS will be set to the defaults. So after battery is replaced, reboot and go back into BIOS setup to confirm all settings match what you wrote down, or change to match. Be sure to save any changes before exiting setup.

Hope that's the last of your problems.

July 28th, 2014 02:00

Awesome, thanks!

July 29th, 2014 16:00

Hi Justin,

Hope your queries were addressed appropriately here. Reach out if you need any further assistance.

No Events found!