Highlighted
trainut
1 Copper

XPS 8300, GPU/Motherboard upgrade?

Hello all,

I have an XPS 8300 desktop from 2011 and recently I decided to upgrade its GPU, as its original Radeon HD 5670 1GB was getting a little too slow. So, I purchased a Radeon R7 260x and a new 550W PSU to handle it. After installation, and lots of trying different solutions, I found that the computer would not boot up with the card plugged in. I figured the card was DOA so I started the return process and purchased an R9 270 to replace it, as I found a very good deal. After the same process, that card turned out to have the same exact issue. So, I looked this specific issue up and found that for some reason, Dell hasn't updated the BIOS for the motherboard in the 8300 to handle newer video cards (or so I've read). That means that apparently, I would need a new motherboard to be able to handle a new GPU. Here is where I have questions:

1. Is the CPU removable from the motherboard in my computer? If so, can I just switch out the motherboard for an aftermarket H67 one like the ASUS P8H67-M LE?

2. Has anyone heard of this problem before? Should I be able to put newer GPUs into my system without a problem, or at least does anyone know of the fastest/newest card I can install that will still work with my motherboard?

3. If this is a real and well known issue after all, are there any patches I could install (third party or not) that would bypass this issue and let me use the newer graphics cards?

I would really appreciate any help on this, because I don't exactly have the money to build a new system and my current setup is fine except for the GPU.

Thanks for any help!

3 Replies
bahamaboy99
2 Iron

RE: XPS 8300 GPU/Motherboard upgrade?

Hey how did this work out, I am about to attempt something similar. The motherboard in my 8300 is a bit old, so I recently decided to purchase a new board with the same 1155 socket and new chipset to breath some new life into  my old system, while reusing some  parts.

0 Kudos
trainut
1 Copper

Hi,

I actually ended up not having to replace my motherboard. I did some more research and found that many people were reporting success with the EVGA brand GTX 760, so I took a gamble and tried it. It works perfectly with my old motherboard and new PSU.

0 Kudos
bahamaboy99
2 Iron

well i just ordered a new motherboard today, if my 8300 case doesnt work out. I guess I will have to get an after market one.

0 Kudos