LadyinIL
1 Nickel

Re: XPS 8300... Who has one of these bad boyz?

I've been allowig Windows Update to update my 8300. Several days ago, the PC connected via ethernet and when I checked device manager, the driver was there. I have no idea how the driver got installed, but I am very happy it did. . I also disabled the wireless card so that it would not attempt to connect to the internet that way.

I've been working on my old XPS210 so I can pass it on or get rid of it and I do notice that the 8300 is faster than I first thought. The 8300 is also quieter, which surprises me.

BMonnery--how often are you having the freeze-ups?

0 Kudos
Suellen122
1 Copper

HD5670 drivers v 8.740.0.0  with CCC v2010.0517.1742.29870  working fine on my i7-2600 XPS8300.    Does the HD5770 use a different driver?  Update driver click within Device Manager doesn't find any updates for me.

I don't know if it's the same driver. My HD5770 shipped with version 8.700.0.0, which is what I'm back to using. I've never known the "update driver" button to find anything - ? - But, if you do a Windows Update there is a later driver for the card available as an optional update. If you go to www.ati.com, you can find the latest drivers and software for all their products. Which is what seems to have gotten me in a world of trouble.

0 Kudos
em2slyn
1 Copper

I just recieved my XPS 8300, i7 2600, W7x64, & ATI 5770 and the ATI Catalyst failed to load after the Windows updated the ATI 5770 driver as well. I checked both the Dell and ATI sites for the latest drivers and they are identical-neither solved the problem. I also rolled back the adaptor driver, uninstalled the Catalyst applications and reinstalled to no avail. Installing Windows 7 SP1 has no effect either.

0 Kudos
LadyinIL
1 Nickel

I had the same problem and was highly annoyed that I had to revert to wireless.  Hopefully when the tech brings the new motherboard (April/May??) I can get them to rectify.

BTW, I found mine really fast and only problem experienced is it freezing up requiring a reboot.  Tech Support trimmed down the startup in msconfig but it's still happening although I've switched all sleep/hibernation off.

Are you still having the problem with the ethernet driver? I finally got mine to work on both partitions (I have 64 bit Win7 Home on one and Win7 Ultimate 32 bit on the other). Ethernet is much faster (not to mention safer) than wireless. It took some time to figure out just what driver I could get to work (there are so many on the Broadcom site) and the one on Dell didn't seem to work. According to device manager, the driver is called K57nd60a.sys., the date of it is 7/20/10, and is version 14.2.0.7.

Also, I've had problems with rebooting on occasion too! Sometimes (not always) when I reboot to go into the Win 7 Home partition, it hangs after it says "starting windows..."-- it will just show a blank screen and nothing happens, so I have to do a hard shut off (by pressing the power button). It will do that over and over again.

0 Kudos
raydeo
1 Nickel

LadyinIL - I'm back in Canada so have left the 8300 for a couple of months.  The freezing would occur if I left the machine for a short time even though I turned off all power save and hibernation features.  I do want to double check my wireless keyboard driver as I installed a Logitech and it occurred to me on the way home that I may have downloaded the 32 bit instead of the 64 bit.

Has Dell started replacing motherboards yet?

I just ordered an 8300 for our place in Canada and on this one did not have an option for wireless card - only ethernet.  I'll tinker with the drivers when I return south in May.

0 Kudos

All,

Send me a Private Message (click my username, click Send Message) with the Service Tag number so I can send them to engineering. Also include -
video card
video card driver version (Dell or Retail)
If applicable, any overclocking (CPU/GPU) should be disabled

0 Kudos
aras1
2 Iron

I just received my XPS 8300 last week and am having the same problems of random lockup. Seems to occur anywhere within 2 hrs after a hard reboot. Am currently on hold with Dell tech support to try and fix the problem. Turning off Win 7 ability to power down the USB mouse and keyboard has not worked. Haven't yet tried a complete reinstall of the graphics driver or win 7.

Has anyone had success in solving this issue?

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and value your feedback. We have alerted our engineering team who are investigating the issue and will provide an update when we have more information to share. If you have not already, I need you to send me the PC service tag, video card, and video card driver version via Private Message.

0 Kudos
DSMac
1 Nickel

I received my XPS 8300 in April and quite honestly, I am quite disappointed with it's performance and the multiple issues that I have had with it.

The first time I loaded it up, it crashed. The second time around, after a full restore, it did come up and ran just long enough for me to start having random freezes and multiple issues were being raised in event viewer. The third restore seemed to do a little better.

My experience with the tech support was quite good although I was again told to do a restore due to several application problems. I would like to signal that I noticed that the Windows Restore feature was not functiionning correctly right out of the box and was a consistent issue at each rebuild. Likely a scripting issue in the install package.

Before the 4th rebuild, I decided to open the box only to find that several connectors poorly seated and hoped that this was the root cause to the issue with the install and performance but alas, it does not appear to be the case. I then opted to do a build using the Windows OS CD instead of the scripted restore options.

Still having some challenges though. I realize that some of these issues are not the hardware in itself but rather software related and most likely, with  Windows 7 64 -bit.  However, be it the XPS 8300 or Windows itself, I remain unimpressed.

By the way, the ATI software has got to be one of the most frustrating pieces. No matter how you slice it, I cannot under any circumstances get it to behave. Most specifically, the Control Centre piece just will not run on my box. I tried previous versions as well as the updated ones from ATI. However, removing it did speed my system up considerably and perhaps it is what has been causing me so much grief. I am again attemtping yet another rebuild as out of the blue, my system started glitching again. The most likely culprit...some patch from Microsoft but trying to isolate which one might prove an enormous undertaking considering just how many there are.

I would have liked to re-install Dell's support software but it does not appear to be available as download. My system came with a BluRay drive but the included software by Cyberlink is rather dated and the Roxio one does not include any playback features.

Hopefully, this will be my final rebuild as this is frankly getting to be ludicrous. I have yet to ever spend so much effort on getting a PC running smoothly. 

XPS 8300, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 8GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell ST2320L| HDD - Hitachi HDS721010CLA332| OS - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit | Audio - : Realtek ALC887 HD Audio

0 Kudos
Highlighted
aras1
2 Iron

Not another one having this freezing problem! I tried a factory reinstall this weekend and id did not fix this problem

My replacement XPS 8300 is apparently in transit via Purolator. When it arrives I hope that I am able to repost back here that all is well. It should be an excellent system (on paper at least).

XPS 8300, SNB, i7-2600 (3.4GHz) | SDRAM - 6GB DDR3 1333MHz | Optical drive - 16x DVD-RW | Video - ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5 | Monitor - Dell U2311H 23IN FP | HDD - 1TB SATA 2, 7200 RPM |  OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | Audio - Creative Labs SB X-Fi Titanium PCIe

Latitude E5420, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2620M CPU @ 2.70 GHz | 8 GB RAM OS - Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit | 

0 Kudos