Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2011 21:00

XPS 8300... Who has one of these bad boyz?

What I want to know are the people who like myself got this mystified machine and are now being asked to send it back for a fix or a refund. I just want to hear others who  can relate with  me? I know that ain't always ez but shoot . would just like to hear from other's who got lucky enough to get one of these in their hands.My experience so far has been this is one nice execution. The new smell of lead that permeates  my office.  motivates me. There are no reviews  out for the xps 8300 or their components. I want to hear what you guys experience has been. So far so good. Love the smell of lead burning in the morning. Bottom line you got these great PC that nobody else will have in awhile. What's the verdict?

XPS 8300 Intel Core i5-2500 processor(6MB Cache, 3.3GHz)1317-57868GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB1331-0659Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard1320-7810No Monitor1320-1786ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR51342-20081.5TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM1421-4337Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English1420-6576DELL WELCOME,Software Dimension/Inspiron1330-6097You have chosen a Windows 7 System1420-6436PC-Restore, Dim/Insp1318-0455Windows Live Wave 41421-0756SKYPE VOIP Software Application1421-4652Dell Support Center 31420-9841Cozi-Calendar1331-1418Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup1421-3645Basic Stage1330-1158Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse1430-3775Standard USB 2.0 + 10/100/1000 Ethernet1313-3607No Dial Up Modem Requested for Dell Dimension1410-1867ADOBE READER 9.0 MULTI- LANGUAGE1318-028216x DVDRW Drive1421-4542Roxio Creator Starter,No Media1421-9898THX TruStudio PC1313-6138No Speaker Requested1410-2441McAfee SecurityCenter 15 Month Subscription1410-0450Microsoft Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word and Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook1938-3320Dell Hardware Limited Warranty, Extended Year1938-3310Dell Hardware Limited Warranty, Initial Year1938-3400Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year Extended$139.001938-3390Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, Initial Year$11.001950-33382 Year Limited Warranty1902-0931Warranty Support, 1 Year Extended$10.001960-8700Warranty Support, Initial Year1420-8878Soft Contracts Dell In-Home Hardware Agreement1330-0172S and P Drop-in-Box Marcom forDHS Desktops

97 Posts

May 5th, 2011 21:00

I just received my XPS 8300 last week and am having the same problems of random lockup. Seems to occur anywhere within 2 hrs after a hard reboot. Am currently on hold with Dell tech support to try and fix the problem. Turning off Win 7 ability to power down the USB mouse and keyboard has not worked. Haven't yet tried a complete reinstall of the graphics driver or win 7.

Has anyone had success in solving this issue?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

May 6th, 2011 15:00

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and value your feedback. We have alerted our engineering team who are investigating the issue and will provide an update when we have more information to share. If you have not already, I need you to send me the PC service tag, video card, and video card driver version via Private Message.

40 Posts

May 16th, 2011 16:00

I received my XPS 8300 in April and quite honestly, I am quite disappointed with it's performance and the multiple issues that I have had with it.

The first time I loaded it up, it crashed. The second time around, after a full restore, it did come up and ran just long enough for me to start having random freezes and multiple issues were being raised in event viewer. The third restore seemed to do a little better.

My experience with the tech support was quite good although I was again told to do a restore due to several application problems. I would like to signal that I noticed that the Windows Restore feature was not functiionning correctly right out of the box and was a consistent issue at each rebuild. Likely a scripting issue in the install package.

Before the 4th rebuild, I decided to open the box only to find that several connectors poorly seated and hoped that this was the root cause to the issue with the install and performance but alas, it does not appear to be the case. I then opted to do a build using the Windows OS CD instead of the scripted restore options.

Still having some challenges though. I realize that some of these issues are not the hardware in itself but rather software related and most likely, with  Windows 7 64 -bit.  However, be it the XPS 8300 or Windows itself, I remain unimpressed.

By the way, the ATI software has got to be one of the most frustrating pieces. No matter how you slice it, I cannot under any circumstances get it to behave. Most specifically, the Control Centre piece just will not run on my box. I tried previous versions as well as the updated ones from ATI. However, removing it did speed my system up considerably and perhaps it is what has been causing me so much grief. I am again attemtping yet another rebuild as out of the blue, my system started glitching again. The most likely culprit...some patch from Microsoft but trying to isolate which one might prove an enormous undertaking considering just how many there are.

I would have liked to re-install Dell's support software but it does not appear to be available as download. My system came with a BluRay drive but the included software by Cyberlink is rather dated and the Roxio one does not include any playback features.

Hopefully, this will be my final rebuild as this is frankly getting to be ludicrous. I have yet to ever spend so much effort on getting a PC running smoothly. 

97 Posts

May 16th, 2011 19:00

Not another one having this freezing problem! I tried a factory reinstall this weekend and id did not fix this problem

My replacement XPS 8300 is apparently in transit via Purolator. When it arrives I hope that I am able to repost back here that all is well. It should be an excellent system (on paper at least).

40 Posts

May 17th, 2011 08:00

I am midway through a clean re-install on my recently purchased XPS 8300 which was precipitated by constant freezes, application errors & a slew of crashes and this after three failed factory restores.

Thus far, I have rebuilt my system using the Windows Reinstallation CD in an attempt to avoid built–in image glitches. The drive was wiped and re-partitioned. This is as close to a clean-install without using a retail version of Windows 7.

Before starting out, I made sure that I had all the required drivers available as the Dell OEM version of Windows 7 does not contain them.

Some of the applications originally installed, have to be downloaded via your Dell account. However, I have been unable to find some or successfully download them through the Dell Support Site. It would be nice if Dell also made them available either directly or via a link from within your account. It can be quite time consuming hunting them down.

As I mentioned in another post, I decided to forgo the ATI Catalyst Control Center after seeing hoards of events being logged within Event Viewer. Eliminating this piece has improved the performance to some degree. There is no doubt in my mind that the hundreds of events generated by the ATI software were hammering my system. I would like to mention that I downgraded and upgraded the version and still could not get it to behave.

In my attempt to be cautious, I first installed the basic operating system plus a couple of additional Windows features i.e.: SNMP, Microsoft Message Queue Server & Windows Process Activation Service. While not a must have, they enable me to take advantage of some of Broadcom's advanced network monitoring features. I also installed all the requisite drivers. By the way, I think that it is best to start with the Intel Chipset Software and reboot after each and every installed driver. In my case, I opted to install the ATI stuff at the end to be relatively sure that any other hardware that it may want to use was available.

The next step, was to apply all Microsoft patches (pre-Sp1) in order to ensure that everything was properly patched since I noticed several glitches if I installed SP1 prior to doing this. SP1 theoretically contains the previous patches but … The final piece remaining is the IE9 upgrade which I felt would best be installed once I was comfortable enough that the OS was running smoothly without introducing yet another twist.

Thus far, all seems well enough except: My external USB hard drive becomes disconnected regularly and of course, Windows explorer wants to do a refresh. It is quite annoying to say the least (being prompted every few minutes despite being actively in operation without sleep being invoked).

The mouse (a Logitech USB) occasionally freezes-up and at times is not functional after a reboot. Perhaps a portion of the issue is related to contention on the bus, the Microsoft driver in itself, the way it handles calls passed through the Intel Chipset Software or some power issue in the bus or from the actual power supply. Needless to say, as an end-user, this is beyond my skill set and nor do I have the patience lest to determine it.

Aside from the freezing mouse and not stop resetting of my external USB hard drive, no critical or warning events are being reported within Windows Event Viewer. I do find that this machine is still not as responsive as I would have thought. Perhaps my expectations of having a "higher end" desktop were a tad unrealistic.

I will post back once I get IE updated and start installing my software.

…I’m back…I have now installed IE9, Microsoft Office 2007 (Student) and all relevant patches seemingly without issue except that I have noticed no Reboot Required messages appear when they ought to. While some patches do not require a reboot to complete, others do and thosee ones were not showing up.

So now, I have a look at the Windows Shutdown button on the Start Menu as a guide. When a post patch reboot is required, it displays an exclamation mark.

The constants disconnects on the USB side of things are omni-present. This could prove mission critical if your box is doing backups to a USB drive as they may fail regularly. I also think it of value to mention that this external drive does not exhibit this behaviour on my other PC nor my HD-PVR. So I am assuming with a certain degree of confidence that it in itself is not the cause.

During patching from the Windows update site ( just after the download completes and just prior to the installation of the patches), a process to initiate an ASR backup (a.k.a. trying to create a System Restore Point) and an attempt to access or scan my USB connected hard drive fails and thus initiating AutoPlay. A VSS error and an ASR error are logged in the Windows Event Viewer.

While the restore point was seemingly created just the same, I cannot be assured of this. The update process appears to go ahead unimpeded though.

Of note to those relying on the Pre-built image or a restored one from Dell’s restore partition, ensure that you correct the “missing” or corrupt restore value using the System icon within Control Panel then going to System Protection and fixing the entry - better safe than sorry.

I had mentioned earlier that my mouse would occasionally lockup and I have found that simply disconnecting it and re-inserting it brings it usually brings it back to life. Since I have turned off the “power saving features” and the disconnections on the USB are persisting, I somehow feel that power saving mode is neither the source nor the root-cause for these glitches either.

Without ATI’s Catalyst Control Centre, the system’s performance seems far better. Perhaps others experiencing random crashes might want to consider eliminating just that part of the software to see if it helps resolves their issues as well. Again, it just hammers away with hundreds of entries, (reminiscent of infomercials and rather spam like). This is especially true of the non-stop UVD entries.

I will update this post as I progress with my rebuild and hope that some of this info could prove beneficial to others in some way.

Update May 17, 2011:

The rebuild of my PC is completed and I am reporting back that some issues are still present and persisting.

The mouse continues to freeze up on occasion. This occurs post boot-up or after waking. I am still having multiple issues with my external hard drive whereas it resets regularly whether the system is actively in use or not. It will start clunking when the PC goes to sleep - the clunking noise is indicative of a lack of power.

I did re-invoke the power saving features but had, through device manager, disabled the power saving features on the USB.

I am also seeing multiple disk errors in the logs regarding such as: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR6 during a paging operation and more recently. The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR1 which happens to be my external USB drive.

This same external drive has been plugged into my other PC for several hours and not once has it behaved or rather misbehaved in the same fashion. I do think that it is now appropriate for Dell Techs to step into the picture again and considering all the efforts that I have made, and seriously consider a replacement.

I have also noticed that there are frequent profile unload event messages pursuant to application installations and the occasional "The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur ".

I had already called tech support for a small issue with Cyberlynk PowerDVD and requested that they call me back regarding the other issues. Regrettably, I fear that since I managed to resolve the Cyberlynk problem on my own and provided them with my solution, that they may have closed the ticket - time to call them back.

As far as I'm concerned, three "Factory Restores” and three attempts doing "Clean Installs" have proven to be failures and I can only surmise that there is indeed a hardware issue. Hopefully, Dell will recognize my patient efforts and at this time, I have every confidence that the company will do what is right.

Update: April 19, 2011

I’ve been on the phone with tech support for some time this morning regarding my concerns and I’m pleased to say that Dell has agreed to replace both my power supply and motherboard. Hopefully, this will resolve the issues once and for all.

As I am soon approaching the 60 day priority support limit, I trust that Dell will assist me after the parts are replaced with the remaining software issues. Since my latest build was done using a “suspect” board, I feel it would be in my best interest to rebuild the PC after the parts are replaced. Unfortunately, the time it will take me to complete the task may push me outside the support period.

Although re-installing with a new motherboard will likely eliminate most if not all of the installation issues, I somehow doubt that the ATI Control Centre problem will be resolved. To this, having Dell’s Support Centre running on the PC would prove beneficial to both me and tech support in resolving any other issues that may crop-up.

As was expected, the hardware support desk was very professional; Thus far, my support experience has been positive and it is most appreciated.

Update: April 20, 2011

I came online to check the status of my service call and could not find any reference to it. I wondered whether or not it fell into the help-desk black hole. I gave Dell another call this morning…

Great, now I'm being requested to go through yet another set of diagnostics and was informed that the dispatch system has been unavailable since yesterday which may explain why no ticket was inputted. I confess that this call had now managed to push my patience over the edge.

After pushing back, the very polite agent went looking for the individual I had spoken with previously and thankfully, that put the brakes on having to go through the entire process yet again.

That said, the dispatch system is still down and until it is up and running, my service call will no doubt (like so others) be on hold.

Granted, had I been a little smatter from the onset, I should have returned the unit during the window of opportunity. While the replacement parts may resolve the problems, I confess that the experience is starting to leave a really bad taste in my mouth.

As part of my rebuild, I had not re-installed the McAfee anti-virus suite until late yesterday. Now the machine seems to be exhibiting some of the symptoms that other posters have mentioned - total freezes requiring cold reboots after entering sleep mode and applications crashing randomly. Just going downhill...

It was also indicated that I would have to call another service area to obtain an extension on the 60 day priority support. ARGHHHH!!! My faith is now being seriously tested.

Update: May 24, 2011

Still no word from Dell - so I called them again. I provided the ticket number that I was given last week only to be told that the ticket was only opened yesterday. The representative would only say that I should receive a call within 24 hours. I’ve heard that one before and I am now getting seriously peeved.

B.T.W. Dell, you have now lost two more sales; my brother and a neighbour were considering Dell XPS PCs and I gladly shared my "Dell Experience" with them.

Update: May 25, 2011

Still no call back from Dell! It is now 2:30 pm and I am calling them yet again. I’ve been on hold for about 10 min. while the very polite rep is trying to figure out what’s going on. Well…the response is that I should be receiving a call within a day or two. After some grumbling on my part, he indicated that the parts are being shipped directly to me and that they should arrive either today or tomorrow. Of course, no tracking info was forthcoming.

Oh yes, my service “dispatch” was only entered on May 23, 4 days after Dell confirmed that the motherboard & power supply would be replaced.

Update: May 26, 2011

Still no call, so I called back I gave the whole story over again. The very polite rep. told me that I now have to wait yet again for another day to three in order to set up an appointment! I am fuming at this point and insist to speak with a manager.

While the “manager” listened to my complaint, he could do nothing more and gave me yet another number to call. It was left to me to follow-up and arrange the appointment with the external firm. Glad to see how Dell takes ownership.

I phoned the outside company and they asked me to call back in a couple of hours since the dispatch had not yet been “processed”. After calling back at the end of the day, I was told that they still did not have a “dispatch” from Dell.

They suggested that I call Dell because they could not find the record and perhaps the number was incorrect. Kudos to the external firm, at least they checked their US database without me requesting it and tracking it down using my postal code. B.T.W. Dell - that’s what some might consider initiative.

So back to Dell again and spoke to a very polite rep. who said he empathized and understood my frustration. Appeased of course, I gave him all the info over again.

He then proceeded to state that the dispatch was only sent-in this morning and that the external firm had 24 hours to contact me in order to set up an appointment within 2 to 3 days.

I explained to him that this case had been on Dell’s plate officially since May 19. That I received an email confirming the dispatch was sent in yesterday the 25th. I also told him that it had been told that it was done on May 23. Now, yet another “manager” is on the phone proclaiming that he will call me tomorrow at 11:00 am to follow-up.

That a critical system be down since last week seems a tad ludicrous and frankly tedious as an excuse. The outage also appears to have hammered the phone system as well - virtually every time they placed me on hold, the call would get flushed. Oh yes, they do ask you for your phone number but the reps can’t do outgoing calls!

It looks like Dell built all the same features into my XPS 8300 as well.

So I guess that this part swap will only happen next week and of course, depending whether or not the Dell’s system is up, the moon is blue and if I hang garlic all around my home. Who knows, maybe I’ll even have a stable PC in the end – but I’m not holding my breath.

Thanks again Dell, what a lovely experience this has been so far!!!

Update: May 28, 2011

In my misguided belief that the Dell “manager” who promised me that he would call me at 11:00 a.m. would actually do so, I rushed home in great anticipation to receive his call. As I sat there, I was naïvely holding on to the hope that he who “took ownership” would actually follow-through.

By 3:30, I stopped holding my breath and felt compelled to further torture myself by placing yet another call. Of course, the rep was very polite and apologetic.

He needed to review my entire case with me and requested that I patiently wait on hold while he read the file. About a half hour later, I was informed that everything has been taken care of. If I understood correctly, the dispatch was never actually sent as it had not been “approved”.

I was informed that he had contacted the external firm and verified that they had received the “official” go-ahead and that I should expect a call next Monday to schedule this ever elusive appointment.

Despite my skepticism, my level of confidence is a little higher today since he seemed to actually look into the issue and did not fall back on the “it’s a system issue”.

I do not fault the reps as they are ultimately powerless given a situation of systemic management incompetence.

- That a system change or outage lasts for several days, evidently without a contingency plan in place, is an outrage for a large IT firm such as Dell.

- That a culture exists whereas “managers” within an organization feel that they can play lip service to the customer base and not even have the courtesy to follow through on a promised call, is in my view abhorrent.

- That “managers” tell customers and thrust upon them the responsibility to follow-up with external partner service firms is categorically unjustifiable and warrants, in my view, dismissal.

Given the above, I can only conclude that this culture extends well up the chain of command. From the outside looking in, this attitude appears to me to be pervasive, inherent and worse, by design. Governance, leadership and ownership are the purview of senior management. The values espoused and demonstrated through example by management are those that are reflected throughout an organization.

Ultimately, my concern and frustration is not that I happened to receive a defective product per se. That will occur even under the strictest set of quality controls and guidelines. All I want is an answer to the very simple question, when will the tech arrive? Will it be 2 days from now or two months? It should not be up to me, the end user to call and follow-up with the multiple channels involved within the process.

It behooves a company, especially within the context of today’s extremely competitive marketplace and consumer brand loyalty volatility, to address concerns promptly and professionally. Politeness and excuses does not mitigate lack of taking ownership or action.

Aside from the above, Dell also needs to review it’s factory quality assurance program. My PC arrived with multiple connectors poorly seated. Cable management was not employed thus wires were strewn all over and interfering with the CPU’s fan. While not necessarily a top tier PC line, at this price level, one certainly expects to find the parts to be securily in place.

I’ll sign off for now and certainly hope to be able to report back on Monday that my service call has finally been scheduled and confirmed.

Update: June 2, 2011

I am pleased to say that the external firm called and arrived punctually on Monday morning. The tech was conscientious and ensured that the wiring was properly run without me requesting anything. I was happy to see that he applied the thermal bonding agent which many techs do not. I have no complaints whatsoever regarding the firm that did the replacement of the parts.

In my previous build, I had installed the user folders to a separate partition & this time around I have opted to install Windows to default settings in order to eliminate the variable from the equation. I certainly prefer having my data separate from the OS. I have installed a second drive and implemented RAID 1. For this added peace of mind however, oddly enough, I find that the disks reads are a little slower and the Windows Experience rating has dropped slightly.

What I did not expect was how long it takes to mirror the drive (hours). Although one can still use the PC during this activity, it really slows things down. 

Unfortunately, I am still experiencing challenges with freezing and the Catalyst Control Centre errors persist.

I opted to update all my drivers from Intel to the most current from the Intel site. As far as the ATI software is concerned, I tried three different flavours with the same issues present.

I have not finished the building process as yet, but hope to within short order. I hope to focus on diagnosing the freezing and why the USB mouse will frequently not function after a reboot. I swapped my mouse with another identical one with no improvement. I will now change mouse brands and type. I have been using a wireless Logitech mouse and will try to see what happens when a wired one is used.

I will update again in short order.

Update : June 3, 20011

Unfortunately, I have to report that I am still experiencing all the issues regarding freeze and hangs after an extended sleep period. The mouse freezing at boot on occasion persists depite changing to a wired one. Setting all devices to enable wake up did nothing. ATI software still will not install and behave. Disabling the AMD External Service did remove my DCOM errors but apparently can potentially have an impact on whether the card can switch between 2D and 3D operation apparently.

I generated a power report (admin command prompt: c:\windows\powercfg -energy) which seems to indicate issues with...  

"USB Suspend:USB Device not Entering Suspend

The USB device did not enter the Suspend state. Processor power management may be prevented if a USB device does not enter the Suspend state when not in use."

but perhaps it has to do with me trying to allow all USB devices to wake it up.

Argghhhh! Still no further ahead than I was when I got the PC 2 months ago. For some, a crash once in a while may not be too problematic but I cannot live with this. Unintelligently on my part, I did not save 3 hours worth of work which got scrambled...I should have been more cautious but alas, I got drawn away from my PC and completely forgot.

I am seriously considering buying a retail video card  (non ATI) but hey, I feel I'm throwing money to the wind at this point.

Update: June 08,2011

I am experiencing fewer crashes and errors in Event Viewer with the ATI software. I uninstalled the ATI drivers that came with my PC, and then allowed Windows update to install the ones offered up and then uninstalled those as well. Followed that with Driver Sweeper to remove remnants and then installed the latest version from ATI.
I will be completing the installation of the remaining software packages and will report back whether the sleep crashes return.
Thanks Chris (Dell Liaison) for escalating to the engineering team...hopefully they will get a handle on the issue

Update: Feb. 14, 2012
(After replacing both my motherboard & power supply 3 times,  Dell finally agreed to replace my ATI 5670 card. )

The tech arrived today and replaced the motherboard, sadly installed a "refurbished" power supply and alas, the ATI 5670 video card.

It has been quite a struggle to get Dell to swap out the video card which I had requested since the onset of my woes but tenacity seems to have paid off. Although I have only been running the system for a couple of hours, putting the system to sleep both manually and allowing the OS to do so on it's own, the PC wakes flawlessly and this with all device settings at their defaults and the power plans at their default settings as well. In my case, C6 reporting to the CPU is enabled in the Bios.
For all of you going through this thread,  allow me to stress that this appears to have resolved the following symptoms: Unable to resume or wake the PC from sleep. When the PC would not resume from sleep, the drives would spin up but no other devices would. The power light would go from amber (sleep) to blue (awake) but all USB ports and of course, the monitor would not function (keyboard, mouse etc...)
As time went on, frequently enough, the PC would not even resume from a cold reboot and this despite having unplugged and drained the charge by pressing the power button until the little green light (at the rear of the PC & on the power supply) dimmed out (though most of the time it would). When the PC would not restart properly, all I got was a blank screen (still asleep) and no USB ports active. Finally, on a very few occasions, this would even occur if I had previously shutdown the PC and therefore no sleep had been invoked.
My PC had always passed all bios hardware tests and no unusual events were picked up in Windows's event logs.
For those that have been experiencing issues within IE 9 and or other system halting or sputtering, this resolution would be of little help.  However, there remains absolutely no doubt (IMHO) that doing a clean install using a Windows 7 (with SP1 intrigrated) DVD is the route to take if you are experiencing issues with your prebuilt system.
Doing a Dell restore in my case proved to be an utter futile cause as the restore image in itself was corrupt from day one. Do follow the process outlined in other posts using the latest drivers for your configuation. Do take the time to download them from the manufacturers such as Intel for the chipset drivers and which should be the very first one to be installed after you have rebuilt.
I would like to point out that I did notice some system halts and sputtering which in my case was resolved by rebuilding the search indexes via the control panel under indexing options.
I'll post back should my system start showing the symptoms again but I am reasonably confident now that the problem has finally been resolved and this after a mere 11 months.
Update: Feb 17, 2012
I have now completed my entire rebuild with all software loaded and can report that my problem is resolved.

97 Posts

May 17th, 2011 11:00

DSMAC,

I am curious... when you say you are doing a clean install using the Windows Reinstallation CD I assume that you are not simply doing a factory reinstall using the hidden partition of the HDD.

Is that correct? If that is correct are you installing each of the Dell drivers individually or are you going to the manufacturer's websites to download and install the appropriate drivers? Or are you relying on the Windows 7 reinstallation CD to install the appropriate drivers.

Thanks

40 Posts

May 17th, 2011 14:00

You are correct; I am not doing a factory install but rather using the Dell's OEM Windows Home Premium 64bit DVD in an attempt to avoid any potential glitches from the factory image. I had far too many challenges with it and felt that I would be better off after three failed attempts. In all fairness, I cannot state that it is in fact a problem area, I just wanted to put everything on my side.

I am using the Dell versions of drivers simply because the PC's components may or may not be identical to those sold at a retail level. They are "OEM" and may very well have certain features removed or disabled. I also wanted to avoid the hassle of hearing from Dell that I must do yet another restore to eliminate the drivers from my system. In my case, I have an ATI 5670 which is not available to the retail market and is an OEM part. The same goes for the Motherboard and more specifically the chipset drivers. While Intel’s drivers should work without too much concern, I wanted to err on the side of caution as Dell engineering may have made a few changes to the design specs..

The Windows Installation DVD does not have the drivers for this system packaged within it and they will have to be installed after the fact.

If you go this route, make sure you obtain the pre-packaged software such as Cyberlynk's DVD player and Roxio's Starter Edition (an OEM version) through your account. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way of obtaining Dell's Support software which includes PC Doctor. While not a must have, it could be handy for testing your hardware in a format that Dell techs are familiar with.

As for Dell's Data-Safe included with the PC, it is of little value and had caused me grief. Perhaps their full blown package is a decent product for some but I have no idea. I tend to prefer imaging as a back-up solution.

Dell's Stage does not appear readily available for download either. From what I have seen, it is not of much value in any case. Support appears virtually non-existent, there are no tech documents, specs or anything else to be found. Go ahead and attempt to get info on it through Dell’s support channels.

Once your new toy arrives, be sure to open the box (providing you are at ease with this) and check all connections, re-seat the memory and the battery as well for good measure.  

Best of luck and hope that this answers your query adequately.

27 Posts

May 30th, 2011 17:00

DSMAC,

Any update?  I got my new motherboard installed last Thursday and within 24 hours the machine had locked up once.  A might bit frustrated with this one since I have an identical machine in Canada (ordered post Sandy Bridge) and not one freeze since receipt of it.

Any news from Dell on this major glitch?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 31st, 2011 14:00

Hi Dsmac Dell Support centre can be downloaded here.

It may be worthwhile slipstreaming SP1 to your disc (if your disc does not already have it). 

It was the first thing I installed on mine when I took it out the box and mine worked perfectly except for the audio, I fixed that by installing a soundblaster card. 

1 Message

May 31st, 2011 19:00

Received my xps 8300 a week ago. It is a great machine. Mine is the i7 version. I have never had a problem with Dell PC's. I have owned two previously.  The 8300 is perfect for photo editing. The speed, memory and 1TB is great. So far

I would recommend it to anyone that wants higher performance.

12 Posts

May 31st, 2011 22:00

Marion66car...I've owned 6 Dells previous to this one and another after this one and have had very few problems with these machines since I started buying them in 1996.  The XPS8300 with ATI card and Sandy Bridge chips (pre March 2011) have had some issues with them as you're seeing on this thread.  No doubt a great machine which is why I bought another in April but the freezing and hanging does kind of get to one!

40 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 11:00

Hi bmonnery,

Just wanted to say that despite the replacement motherboard and powersupply, that I am still experiencing freezes. Mine are two-fold. Mouse does not function at times after reboot and the complete hang after sleep. My intuition is pointing me towards something and will update you if it pans out.

40 Posts

June 2nd, 2011 12:00

Hi Natakuc4,

Thanks for the link. I had downloaded it from there already and had trouble with the installation. The package was reporting that I did not have enough hard disk space for some reason. That said however, since then, I changed motherboards and power suppliy and have rebuilt my system using only windows default locations. My user profile was on a seperate partion previously and perhaps the package did not like that. It has installed without issue when my profile on the C: drive.

FYI, I used an unattended method to relocate my user folders which is about the only redirection "officially supported" by Microsoft. The Dell Stage software will not run properly if the users folders are relocated either. All other software I have had no issue withthe relocated user folders...perhaps, Dell's msi scripts do not make standard API calls to find the folders appropriately. Just a guess on my part.

You mention slipstreaming which I would have loved to do, but have not managed to do it. I thought it might have to do with the fact that it is an OEM version of Windows 7. Would you have a process that I could try out?

Thanks for your input.

40 Posts

June 8th, 2011 08:00

Hi again Natakuc4, Just a brief word to say that I managed to slipstream SP1...My initial attempts were done using my "flaky" machine. I have just rebuilt yet again and am experiencing fewer issues. Of particular note, after removing ATI software and using Driver Sweeper to clean up the remnants and installing the latest drivers from ATI, that I am experiencing far fewer hangs, errors messages in event viewer and the PC seems to be performing well. I am about to fully load my PC now and hope that things will progress well. The ATI service, AMD external Events still generates an error at every shutdown but it does not appear to have any significant impact.

12 Posts

December 8th, 2011 10:00

Did the same thing - got the same results..

No Events found!