Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2016 01:00

XPS 8300 Will Not Start

I am unable to power up my XPS 8300 desktop.  There is a solid green light on the back of the tower and an orange light inside.  After reading numerous post I have disconnected everything and attempted to start again - still nothing.  HELP  

May 20th, 2016 22:00

Hi Aldenbob

Thanks for writing to us. 

Does the power light come on when you press, if yes what is the color of the light and how long does it stay on. 

Without the memory module, hard drive and graphics card (if any), does the machine power on ? 

If the system doesn't power on even for a second, the motherboard seems to be faulty. 

Regards

3 Posts

May 21st, 2016 08:00

With power to the desktop there is a solid green light at the power input and a solid amber light on the motherboard.  When depressing the on/off button nothing at all happens.  I then disconnected all external inputs and again nothing when depressing the on/off button.  So I then removed the hard drive, memory sticks, ATI Radeon HD 5670 Pegatron Graphics Card, and WinTV-HVR-1250 HDTV Card and again nothing.  Should I believe the motherboard is faulty?  What are my options?

Thanks,

May 21st, 2016 20:00

Looks to be a faulty motherboard. Should your system be under warranty, we can get it repaired.
Else you can purchase from any Dell authorized re-seller.

729 Posts

May 22nd, 2016 06:00

This is a long shot, but before you give up on the motherboard, try replacing the CMOS battery.  It's a nickel size battery (CR 2032) on the motherboard and sometimes can cause a computer not to boot if it's completely dead.  It costs less than five dollars so it can't hurt to try.

May 22nd, 2016 20:00

Hi, should you have any queries do give us a shout. Have a good one. 

3 Posts

May 24th, 2016 05:00

How would I know if the computer was still under warranty?

May 25th, 2016 20:00

Please click on the link below 

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

enter your system tag# and then click on warranty, you should see the warranty status. 

May 26th, 2016 21:00

Hi, should you have any queries do give us a shout. Have a good one. 

No Events found!