johngosselin
1 Copper

RE: XPS 8300 Windows 10 Broadcom network adapter disconnect FIXED

Thanks for publishing this. I upgraded my 8300 today and ran into the problem. Uninstalling the NIC driver and rebooting didn't help, so I don't think MS has fixed it. But downloading and installing R282233 seems to have done the job.

I've got a similar problem with an old Latitude 2120 (netbook/Atom cpu) with a Broadcom NIC that I upgraded from 32-bit W7Pro to W10Pro. Right now I've reverted to a USB NIC, but I'll try the W7 driver for that problem too.

tj_moore
1 Nickel

The key to this is ensuring there isn't an existing Broadcom driver package installed. I ran the installer for R282233 but it seemed to make no difference and then I noticed it hadn't changed the driver version. It was still on the newer and broken in Windows 10 driver.

On re-running it I got an option to uninstall the driver and all the Broadcom related software. Did that and then re-ran it and now have the older Win 7 driver. So far no network drops, even with heavy network load. Before I'd get it dropping frequently, between every 5 and 30 minutes but only when I'm using the network.

Watch out as it's highly likely Windows 10 will update it to the newer driver automatically at some point.

Dotchli
1 Nickel

Has anyone tried the new driver update from the 5th of august?

https://www.broadcom.com/support/?gid=9

NetLink®/NetXtreme® I Desktop/Mobile/Server (x64) (for 64 bit)

17.2.0.0 Binaries 08/05/15

EDIT: My fault, it seems that this driver doesn't support the standard LAN on Motherboard (Broadcom Network Adapter model BCM57788). It does however support my second Network Adapter (also Broadcom) which I installed 2 years ago, and this driver fixed the connection issues for me 🙂 .

0 Kudos
Mr.JASmith
1 Copper

I tired this 17.2.0.0 and it didn't work for me, I also tried 15.6.1.2 dated 1/29/2013 and this also didn't work. Both of these divers would stay connected for sometimes a few minutes to a few hours then disconnect. I could sometimes reconnect and other times I had to reboot to reconnect. Using these version I had some system crashes from time to time, Page fault errors and unable to power down device error while trying to reboot. When these errors occurred I received the blue screen with a sad face 😞

Anyway, I installed the R282233 and this fixed the problem for me. I have a dell XPS 8000. The driver installed from the 282233 was 14.2.0.0.7 dated 7/20/2010 and was installed automatically in compatibility mode .

Thanks for the help everyone.

shu1
1 Nickel

Thanks for letting us know this also fixed it for the XPS 8000.  This does seem to be a wider Broadcom issue.

The site says that R282233 was last updated 12 Dec 2013, is that not the case?  Anyway, I have not experienced a single disconnect since installing it over a week ago.

yellowbird2
1 Copper

Hi

Thanks for posting.  I have the same Dell.  It took forever to find out what was wrong, even  speaking with a Dell representative was of little help.  Finally read some posts... Microsoft  showed my PC compatible, I did not check with Dell site first.

Once I rolled back to Windows 7, I had even more issues. I had major problems, hours of diagnostics (Thank you, Dell for providing so many ways to check operations!)   It seems after a restore, the Windows 10 install was hanging, and I had no way to use Windows 7 functions. I now have Windows 10  running, continued with the install, a risk, but little choice.  Hopefully I can use my PC normally.

I would not have even tried to  update to Windows 10, had I checked with Dell first, as XPS 8300 is not on the compatibility list.  Wish Microsoft had  checked further before posting  it was okay to proceed with install.

Good luck, XPS 8300 users!

0 Kudos
digger1978
1 Nickel

I have a 2009 XPS 8000 that had ethernet issues after installing Windows 10.  I was getting tired of rebooting my modem when I could not reach the internet.  After searching how to resolve this I found this post and followed the instructions how to download R282233.  It solved all my problems and I have not lost my internet connection once.  Thank you everyone.

shu1
1 Nickel

It's too bad this problem is still happening, weeks after the Win10 release.  I hope all upgraders can find this thread easily to resolve it.

0 Kudos
mikebrown8183
1 Nickel

I did not see the original posting about XPS 8300 Windows 10 Upgrade.  I have a XPS 8300.  I looks like there is a fix for the onboard Broadcom Network Adapter; however I have a Windows 10 compatible PCI Network Card on hand just in case.  I also found Win 10 drivers for SB X-Fi Sound Card & AMD Graphic Card which is installed on my XPS 8300.  

Were there any other issues that you ran into on the Windows 10 Upgrade besidesd the Broadcom Network Adapter?

0 Kudos
shu1
1 Nickel

@mikebrown8183 After installing the Win7 Broadcom drivers three weeks ago, I have not noticed any other issues.  It seems many other people are running fine too.  I upgraded to an Nvidia gpu, but the AMD card is probably fine.

0 Kudos