Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2016 07:00

XPS 8300 Won't Power Up

Hello, I've done some research on this topic, but so far none of the troubleshooting techniques has resulted in a solution.   When I press the power button, the green light on the PSU turns off and the power button blinks orange one time.   The green PSU light comes back on when I press and hold the power button for about 5 seconds.    So far my troubleshooting has included disconnecting all peripherials and reconnecting one at a time, holding the power button down for 20 to 30 seconds, disconnecting all power lines to the motherboard, hard drives, optical, removing video card, reseating memory, etc. and reconnecting one at a time to try and pinpoint problem.    I'm at a loss as to what I should try next.   Help!

2 Posts

September 28th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the recommendation.   I replaced the CMOS battery as well.   Interestingly enough the exhaust fan turns on very briefly once the power cord has been plugged in and the power button pushed.   I'm thinking the next step is to check the 12 and 5V lines from the PSU with a meter next.

729 Posts

If replacing the battery does not work then I would suggest looking at the power supply first as the cause of the problem.

729 Posts

The only other thing you can try is replace the CMOS battery.  It's a nickel sized CR2032 and can be found at any drug store or Walmart.  Sometimes when this battery is completely dead a PC will not post.

No Events found!