Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 18th, 2015 10:00

XPS 8300 i7 Fan Revving, Then Windows 10 Fail leads to CHKDSK issues.

I bought my XPS back in 2012 and it's been problem free until now. The first noticeable problem was the fan revving. I would clean the fans but the problem continued and I did nothing.

Then I attempted to upgrade to Windows 10. During the upgrade, the fan revved up loud, my computer screen went blank (computer is still on but non-functioning). I had to do a hard reboot and was restored to Windows 7. I attempted the Windows 10 upgrade again with the same result. But this time CHKDSK is recommended at hard reboot. During CHKDSK, the fan revs up and once again the screen goes blank.

I gave up on CHKDSK, got into windows 7 normal and tried a Seagate disk analysis software (free) and it freezes up.

What is wrong with my XPS 8300? 

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 19th, 2015 03:00

3 Posts

September 19th, 2015 14:00

Hi NATAKUC4,

Thank you for the recommendation. I ran the diagnostics and every thing checked OK. It was still running diagnostics on the harddrive and memory when the monitor went blank (no signal). I attached a photo of a picture I took seconds before the monitor when blank.

I appreciate your help!

Donz061

1 Attachment

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 20th, 2015 05:00

It looks okay.

Regarding the screen going blank... On my XPS 8300 the AMD 5770 video card seems to go to some sort of silly power saving mode when the system is left idle (in BIOS diagnostics, during Windows installation etc. etc.).

Can you rerun the diagnostics and the throughout test. Just move the mouse now and again so the AMD video card doesn't turn off leaving you with a blank screen.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2015 22:00

It was the video card. I gave it a good cleaning with canned air and that solved the problem

Thank you for your help!

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

September 21st, 2015 10:00

Great! thanks for letting us know that solved the issue. My graphics card also got pretty dusty and I had to remove the dust from it a couple of times now, its sometimes a bit of bother to reseat properly. 

Use a program called speccy to look at the rest of the temperatures of the system: https://www.piriform.com/speccy/download

No Events found!